Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Joker619
Junior

Lowrance Finder Help

Does anyone use the Lowrance Mark 5x pro or Mark 4 fishfinders on their yaks. If so, can I get some feedback on how you like them and what you may not like. I've narrowed it down to these two and not sure which one to get. I like the nice bigger screen on the 5x but the gps function on the 4 doesnt sound bad either. I'm gonna be doing probably 50/50 bass fishing in the sd bays and then all types up in La Jolla. Is the gps necessary and a big help? Both are in my budget for around $200 if you're wondering why not the elites or something more expensive. Gonna be mounted on a trident 13 in the little fishfinder compartment. Any help or guidance is appreciated!
Joker619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
cowboybill

to GPS or not...

For bay fishing, GPS is a less essential as it is pretty easy to find the same spot with depth (FF), and a decent sense of direction..(I am 30 yards off the beach straight off the ... blah blah..)

In more open water, just a few degrees off a point can make a huge difference, so finding the same spot is much harder..especially when drifting at 2 mph...

I have a 5x, and sometimes wish I had popped for the GPS..

Good luck
Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
MrM

If you get a FF without GPS, 6 months later you'll want GPS. That's the boat I'm in right now. Save yourself the hassel and do it right the first time.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i have the elite 4. GPS is awesome when marking piles of squid and small drop offs when there's nobody anchored near you to give a way point. also getting back to the launch in dense fog at night is made alot easier as well, just follow your tracks on the GPS and you dont end up by scripps pier or down in front of the resort.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker619 View Post
Does anyone use the Lowrance Mark 5x pro or Mark 4 fishfinders on their yaks. If so, can I get some feedback on how you like them and what you may not like. I've narrowed it down to these two and not sure which one to get. I like the nice bigger screen on the 5x but the gps function on the 4 doesnt sound bad either. I'm gonna be doing probably 50/50 bass fishing in the sd bays and then all types up in La Jolla. Is the gps necessary and a big help? Both are in my budget for around $200 if you're wondering why not the elites or something more expensive. Gonna be mounted on a trident 13 in the little fishfinder compartment. Any help or guidance is appreciated!
I just got the elite5. Bigger screen and gps chart plotter. IMO you need gps. So foggy off la Jolla last Friday I would not of launched without it. So far I really like this unit.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Joker619
Junior

Thanks for the help!!! GPS it is!
Joker619 is offline   Reply With Quote