Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Razorback

Rookie Gets Ruined 4 Life - 8/15

Took an ol' Buddy out yak fishing for the first time today. I’m remodeling Eric’s house and he gave me the morning off from the project to show him all about the finer points of what our sport has to offer. Eric is an Engineer at the Chula Vista Fire Dept. and prior a Life Guard for the State where he spent his summers at Silver Strands. The only fishing he’s really done was from a long board off the Strand after work. Today he got a dose of another world and by our 10:00 AM landing - he was amazed at the whole experience.

I launched him in the dark at 0500 to 1 footers and found bait plentiful at the pier. Ran into C-Level and got a ribbing about my rollover on Sunday. (Jackass). :P We made a few circles in close to the pier and watched another guy hook up right north of the pier and get cut off about 10 seconds latter as the horse rode him into the pilings.

We headed out over the canyon and found ample marks and since the pre dawn wind had lain down – we could spot the boilers. And there were many boilers. Here Eric hooks up right away on a nice 15 # model and gets his first tow.

Yellows were every where both deep and on the surface. Couldn't get a nibble on the iron though.... They want the bait.

Sorry the pics are coming out as thumbnails - click on photo to enlarge.

We fished until we had to get back and ended up with a total of 10 yellows. We kept 5 of the bigger boys for dinner at the CV FD tomorrow night and released the rest. This boy is ruined for life. He thinks this is every day occurrences for the Tupperware Army. Guess I’ll have to drag him out on a cold winter morning for yo-yoing to get the full taste of dues paid to the paddle. :roll:

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
fishin_freak

Out freaking standing....
Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
fishnut

Awesome job Cris!

He is ruined for life!

10 yellows. Man you guys whacked 'em! Way to go.

I am out there tomorrow early. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tight lines...

-Todd
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Yeah baby! Just tied the 1/2 sabiki on the Barbie pole. My daughter is stoked. "We got donuts for a quick breakfast!" :lol:

Hope to launch at a leisurely 6ish.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Dan

Cris, way to ruin that guys life . A fireman's schedule + a kayak is a deadly combo :shock:
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
madscientist

Right on Cris! Andy, hope you beat em senseless tomorrow with the little one. Watch out, I've had a couple hookups on the sabiki lately. Make sure the barbie pole is leashed. :lol:
Old 08-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I've had a couple hookups on the sabiki lately. Make sure the barbie pole is leashed.
Brad, I totally forgot about this until I looked at my sabiki rod today. After I put a few spanish in the tube yesterday I handed the rod to Wanda and said just drop it down a bit and lift it up and down. She drops down and is squealing as the line starts ripping off at a 45. Pops off after a bit and she is reeling in and gets hit again boatside. Small WSB, managed to break off one hook, break another and bend one. Pretty funny.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Got to watch the fresh one land one....thought he was using light line at first... :lol:
Then I found out from Razor that it was his third and his first time out....he has no idea how lucky he is.
Best part, saw him on shore afterwards, and he said to me twice, "Man, isn't this a blast? This is so much fun."

Instant addiction.....

Ended up with a couple, one larger model and one about the size that Clay caught, and he fought harder than my first one that came up green....OK, the smaller one wasn't nearly as big as the one Clay caught...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
stevo

Tman, or should I call you Cman for the smallest Calico ever caught at Lajolla last Saturday?. Hey I got a good picture of that lady who landed that 30 lb-ish yellow however I ould not figure out how to post the photo? It's been a long time since I've tried.
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Yah he was a dink, but he tasted good.... :shock: J/K JS...

Caught another, maybe the same one, on the sabiki again, this week. Gotta love them aggressive small guys.

A big congrats to all of the rookies getting their first YT from the yak....hope you all did the right thing and ate the heart....

Email the pic to her...you do know how to do that, don't you? :roll:

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
stevo

Don't know who she is?. Where are the instructions on how to add a picture to a thread???
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote