Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
GHOSTHUNTR

Homeguard Yellow

I woke up Friday morning to find a thick little layer of frost on my kayak at 5AM(I live in Poway), and I almost returned to the comfort of my bed. I decided to give it a shot because I have not had much of a chance to go in the last several months. Launched at about 6 into a light breeze and small surf. There was a small fleet of boats out on the squid grounds, but I didn't hear of anyone getting any, even the guys with lights who had been out there since 3AM. I decided to find my own spot away from all the people, but I only made it a few hundred yards when I saw some big marks just off the bottom. I threw my 6x heavy down there and I was hooked up immmediately, first cast of the day. this fish was heavy and it didn't want to budge from the bottom, even with 40 and a tight drag. Maybe a big black? Anyway, it towed me around toward deeper water for a minute and then I felt that horrible feeling that my line was rubbing on something down there on the bottom, and then snap. What a bad feeling, one you replay over and over. Oh well it was still early so I tied on a 6x junior and ten minutes later I got some redemption. I was about halfway up when it hit and it really pulled hard, taking a couple of really nice runs. What a fat yellow! My biggest ever above the border, it went 35.2lbs. I was really lucky to catch this fish considering I haven't put forth the effort that I should have, but I will take it.
Attached Images

GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote