Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Cleaning Chemicals For After Saltwater Fishing

What works well for removing salt from fishing gear? What preserves and conditions?

After flushing poles, reels, kayak and gear with copious amounts of water, things still get corroded and crusty after it sits for awhile.

Any favorites or opinions about these?

Ammonia Free Windex Glass Cleaner
- diluted to about 20% in a spray bottle was recommended to me by a technician who services Shimano reels. He said it sheds the salt off for a quick wash after each use.

Aerospace 303 UV Protectant - I have tried many things to clean tar and stains off my Hobie blue Outback plastic. I don't have any good answers for this, except to struggle with dish soap as best I can. Bleach is not a good choice. Pine Sol, and other common cleaners did not work well. Acetone got some tar off, but it was mediocre as a cleaner. My blue kayak started to develop cloudy white haze all over --- I don't know if this was a reaction to the chemicals I was trying or if it was getting UV damage. I tried many things and could not get the white off until I tried Aerospace 303 UV Protectant. That worked well for rejuvenating the plastic and returning it back to it's original blue color. It bonds with the surface with a protective coating that looks like fresh plastic, not oily or slippery like ArmorAll. I looked at the Product Data Safety Sheets for Aerospace 303 UV Protectant and I believe it is the same material Hobie sells repackaged under their own label as their own plastic rejuvenator and UV protectant. Hobie's source for this material might also be a product called McNett UV Tech Cleaner & Protectant.

CRC Battery Cleaner & CRC Battery Terminal Protector - Cleans electrical terminals and connectors. The Terminal Protector prevents corrosion. I've tried various electrical contact cleaners and these two work well, together as a pair. So far, it's my favorite. With a short squirt, both foam up and bubble for a few seconds, giving good coverage of the connector being cleaned. Both have an odd color of foam. The Battery Cleaner is yellow and the Terminal Protector is red. It wipes off and doesn't stain.

ArmorAll - Did not help my kayak plastic at all. I suspect that this may have been one of the chemicals that flashed white when it came in contact with salt water or other chemicals I was trying. Not sure.

WD-40 - I've heard and viewed on Youtube some people use this to wipe down their rods, reels and kayaks. I tried a patch to get the white haze off my blue kayak and it was a slight improvement, but it looked oily and evaporated off relatively quickly. The Aerospace 303 was much better. I've heard that WD-40 is fish based or kelp based material, but I have not verified. I don't know if it's a problem on braided line or other leaders relative to the fish we are trying to catch. Lots of people use it for lots of things, but I just don't know if it's good or bad for fishing gear.

Break-Free CLP-4 is great for cleaning, lubricating, protecting guns. It's not for fishing gear, but I want to find an equivalent spray or wipe-down product that works as well for reels & poles. Any ideas?

Aerokroil is a thin penetrating oil popular among aircraft mechanics that creeps into places other oils can't get to. I use it very sparingly to lubricate metal joints that get crusty, including things like stiff pliers, etc. It penetrates better than WD-40, and it's an oil, which WD-40 is not. I give a very small squirt onto the clicker button of my reel and it keeps that action smooth and lubricated without breaking the reel down for a full servicing. It's oil, so I am careful not to let it start creeping into my Spectra. I would not wipe it in areas where it might spread to contaminate other things. I don't like the taste of petroleum based oil, so I assume fish don't like it either.

Hobie Boat Cleaner - Because the Hobie UV Protectant (Aerospace 303 or McNett UV Tech) worked so well for rejuvenating my kayak plastic, I decided to try their official Hobie Boat Cleaner to remove tar and stains. Everything with the Hobie name on it is overpriced, IMO, but that's the way Hobie marketing strategy goes. Take it or leave it. For me, their name brand boat cleaner was pretty useless.

Goo Gone - it's OK. didn't do anything for stains. I think it's safe. Got some goo off.

Acetone & Lacquer Thinner - I tried gently. No opinion.

--------------------------------------------

In summary, these are my favorites:

1. Diluted Ammonia Free Windex glass cleaner that I put in my 3 gallon garden pump sprayer modified with a kitchen sink dish washing nozzle that gives a much better flow than the chemical sprayer that comes on pump sprayers. I carry this in my van for my first wash-down of kayak, poles, reels & gear when I come out of the water and prepare to go home.

2. Gentle shower sprayer garden hose nozzle with plenty of water once I get home, unpack and reorganize for my next fishing trip.

3. Dawn dish soap in a hand spray bottle

4. Rinse and wipe everything down dry with a Shamwow

5. CRC electrical contact cleaner, blast contacts with compressed air, then a spray of electrical contact protector followed with another blast of compressed air.

6. Wipe down kayak plastic with Aerospace 303 UV Protectant

Any other suggestions for favorite chemicals or cleaning tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 04-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
jrip
Water dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
What works well for removing salt from fishing gear? What preserves and conditions?

After flushing poles, reels, kayak and gear with copious amounts of water, things still get corroded and crusty after it sits for awhile.

Any favorites or opinions about these?

Ammonia Free Windex Glass Cleaner
- diluted to about 20% in a spray bottle was recommended to me by a technician who services Shimano reels. He said it sheds the salt off for a quick wash after each use.

Aerospace 303 UV Protectant - I have tried many things to clean tar and stains off my Hobie blue Outback plastic. I don't have any good answers for this, except to struggle with dish soap as best I can. Bleach is not a good choice. Pine Sol, and other common cleaners did not work well. Acetone got some tar off, but it was mediocre as a cleaner. My blue kayak started to develop cloudy white haze all over --- I don't know if this was a reaction to the chemicals I was trying or if it was getting UV damage. I tried many things and could not get the white off until I tried Aerospace 303 UV Protectant. That worked well for rejuvenating the plastic and returning it back to it's original blue color. It bonds with the surface with a protective coating that looks like fresh plastic, not oily or slippery like ArmorAll. I looked at the Product Data Safety Sheets for Aerospace 303 UV Protectant and I believe it is the same material Hobie sells repackaged under their own label as their own plastic rejuvenator and UV protectant. Hobie's source for this material might also be a product called McNett UV Tech Cleaner & Protectant.

CRC Battery Cleaner & CRC Battery Terminal Protector - Cleans electrical terminals and connectors. The Terminal Protector prevents corrosion. I've tried various electrical contact cleaners and these two work well, together as a pair. So far, it's my favorite. With a short squirt, both foam up and bubble for a few seconds, giving good coverage of the connector being cleaned. Both have an odd color of foam. The Battery Cleaner is yellow and the Terminal Protector is red. It wipes off and doesn't stain.

ArmorAll - Did not help my kayak plastic at all. I suspect that this may have been one of the chemicals that flashed white when it came in contact with salt water or other chemicals I was trying. Not sure.

WD-40 - I've heard and viewed on Youtube some people use this to wipe down their rods, reels and kayaks. I tried a patch to get the white haze off my blue kayak and it was a slight improvement, but it looked oily and evaporated off relatively quickly. The Aerospace 303 was much better. I've heard that WD-40 is fish based or kelp based material, but I have not verified. I don't know if it's a problem on braided line or other leaders relative to the fish we are trying to catch. Lots of people use it for lots of things, but I just don't know if it's good or bad for fishing gear.

Break-Free CLP-4 is great for cleaning, lubricating, protecting guns. It's not for fishing gear, but I want to find an equivalent spray or wipe-down product that works as well for reels & poles. Any ideas?

Aerokroil is a thin penetrating oil popular among aircraft mechanics that creeps into places other oils can't get to. I use it very sparingly to lubricate metal joints that get crusty, including things like stiff pliers, etc. It penetrates better than WD-40, and it's an oil, which WD-40 is not. I give a very small squirt onto the clicker button of my reel and it keeps that action smooth and lubricated without breaking the reel down for a full servicing. It's oil, so I am careful not to let it start creeping into my Spectra. I would not wipe it in areas where it might spread to contaminate other things. I don't like the taste of petroleum based oil, so I assume fish don't like it either.

Hobie Boat Cleaner - Because the Hobie UV Protectant (Aerospace 303 or McNett UV Tech) worked so well for rejuvenating my kayak plastic, I decided to try their official Hobie Boat Cleaner to remove tar and stains. Everything with the Hobie name on it is overpriced, IMO, but that's the way Hobie marketing strategy goes. Take it or leave it. For me, their name brand boat cleaner was pretty useless.

Goo Gone - it's OK. didn't do anything for stains. I think it's safe. Got some goo off.

Acetone & Lacquer Thinner - I tried gently. No opinion.

--------------------------------------------

In summary, these are my favorites:

1. Diluted Ammonia Free Windex glass cleaner that I put in my 3 gallon garden pump sprayer modified with a kitchen sink dish washing nozzle that gives a much better flow than the chemical sprayer that comes on pump sprayers. I carry this in my van for my first wash-down of kayak, poles, reels & gear when I come out of the water and prepare to go home.

2. Gentle shower sprayer garden hose nozzle with plenty of water once I get home, unpack and reorganize for my next fishing trip.

3. Dawn dish soap in a hand spray bottle

4. Rinse and wipe everything down dry with a Shamwow

5. CRC electrical contact cleaner, blast contacts with compressed air, then a spray of electrical contact protector followed with another blast of compressed air.

6. Wipe down kayak plastic with Aerospace 303 UV Protectant

Any other suggestions for favorite chemicals or cleaning tips would be appreciated.
I've used Goof-off aerosol and it works for removing tar.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
taggermike

My set up is pretty low tech. A bit of dish soap and a soft brush for the yak and paddle.

My Plano box usually gets wet so I rinse the box, lures, pliers, ect and spread them on a towel to dry
Lots of guys blast their rods n reels with water. That usually just forces water n salt in to the reel.

I give the rods a good spray but mist and dry the reels.
Most reels have drain holes on the bottom so I leave the rods horizontal with the reels up for a day before storing them vertically.

Periodically I'll oil the reels with the lube that comes with them. A couple times a year I'll give the rods a good wash with dish soap and a soft towel. I'll dry them and put on a coat of turtle car wax. Keep dirt, blood, scales, n salt from sticking.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Break free is probably one of the best things you can spray on your mirage drive. Why do you say it’s not for fishing gear? Obviously not intended purpose, but neither is windex and a shamwow.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
tstephens3232

It's a bit pricy for boat soap but I love it and it's super concentrated so it last a while. It's called orpine. Great for washing away salt. I mix it via a pressure washer. Thanks for the tip on the ammonia free Windex, I'll try it.
tstephens3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Still can't find anything that removes black scuff marks.

Last weekend I tried wheel & tire cleaner, brake cleaner, goof-off ... no effect.

However, I discovered that WD-40 is one of the few things that will dissolve off silicone goo and remnants of silicone caulking.

I carry the German equivalent of a Shamwow in my kayak for blotting up water. It takes over nicely from what my hand bilge pump doesn't get. Empties water out of my cup holder and pole holder cavities. Easily sops up any remnant water in the hull. Better than a sponge.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 04-23-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Break free is probably one of the best things you can spray on your mirage drive. Why do you say it’s not for fishing gear?
My meaning was for wiping down reels & poles. I have not tried any petroleum based oil products near my Spectre. Maybe it's OK, but I just don't know.

Yes, Break Free seems like it would be good for anyplace we use oil.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Pamman
Junior

Ask for advice at a store that sells fishing gear.
Pamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
fishnfoool

Frank's red hot. I put that shit on everything!
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:13 AM   #10
TJones

great thread start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
My meaning was for wiping down reels & poles. I have not tried any petroleum based oil products near my Spectre. Maybe it's OK, but I just don't know.

Yes, Break Free seems like it would be good for anyplace we use oil.
not recommended by manufacturer. youtube video from Hobie is a good refresher for mirage drive maintenance, but it specifically says to keep such products from the spectra line, pretty much a no brainer. I am sure you guys have seen the small lube bottle they sell with pin needle applicator? expensive, relatively speaking. but, small piece of insurance for extending major service intervals.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #11
Hunters Pa

Tech from Accurate told me to tighten drags before cleaning to prevent water from getting in. Spray lightly with fresh water and wipe /air dry. Can use something like salt-x. Then store in free spool with clicker engaged
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #12
Oolie
Headshots Only

Most of the corrosion you are seeing is galvanic corrosion. It's because there are two different metals (or similar metals of different alloy), in contact with one another.
If by chance an electrolyte like water gets into contact with one of the metals, the one with the metal more likely to oxidize will.

The water that comes out of our taps is very hard, and has many electrolytes which can support galvanic corrosion, a final rinse with RO or distilled water can help remove the ions which support corrosion. Also drying is an important factor, as it helps to remove the water which is acting as the electrolyte.

tldr, the salt from saltwater is polar and is removed/dissolved by water which is also polar.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
kayakfisherman

Got a degree in Chemical Eng'g. In my humble opinion,
distilled water is that best because of osmosis.

Last edited by kayakfisherman; 04-21-2021 at 01:33 PM.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
deptrai

I use H2O.
For reels, I do not loosen my drags and lightly spray. Back off the drags the following day.
For the yak, my pressure washer does an amazing job.
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:57 AM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
For me 2 words

Salt away
Old 05-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #16
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Got a degree in Chemical Eng'g. In my humble opinion,
distilled water is that best because of osmosis.

Makes sense! I like using distilled water for lots of things, including my coffee through a filter paper. Coffee made with distilled water won't get bitter or stale. I can drink it 2 days later and it tastes the same. Also for the radiator of my 60's hot rod to help keep it in good condition.