Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
iethinker

OK Alex...I'll take, "That's what she said" for $3,000

This is a Kayak Fishing Report for 9/9/17 from San Diego Bay

I headed out for what I hoped would be a good bone session in San Diego Bay. Things moistened up quickly due to light rains at launch. When I found the bone hole the wind and tide changed conspiring to rapidly and repeatedly push me off the spot. Wish I hadn't forgot my anchor as I didn't have a long enough to work the hole and pull a big one....uh...long enough time that is.

All of the bones were disappointingly small. I was happy however to at least land the target species. I heard in Florida that they estimate the value of each Bonefish caught at $3,000 to the local economy. I caught over 20 spotties along the way as well. Most of these were also small. D'oh!

Conditions became un-fish-able mid morning as a very-high high tide thrust in. Wind probably hit 20-mph and some waves started spurting over the side of my Outback...thinking of Florida again I guess. Anyway, I made my way back to the launch through the heaving white capped bay and knew I made the right decision to leave it at that.

Here are a few pics...

Enjoy!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
battleborn

awesome bonefish!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
FullFlavorPike

What sort of rig do you catch those bonefish on?
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
CON KSO

Great job targeting bonefish and getting them- I hooked one on a white fly Friday afternoon - we were going after spotties on the bottom and then my last fish decided it wanted to swim in a non-spottie fashion... my first bonefish on the fly. Super fun and can't wait to do it again.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
This is a Kayak Fishing Report for 9/9/17 from San Diego Bay

I headed out for what I hoped would be a good bone session in San Diego Bay. Things moistened up quickly due to light rains at launch. When I found the bone hole the wind and tide changed conspiring to rapidly and repeatedly push me off the spot. Wish I hadn't forgot my anchor as I didn't have a long enough to work the hole and pull a big one....uh...long enough time that is.

All of the bones were disappointingly small. I was happy however to at least land the target species. I heard in Florida that they estimate the value of each Bonefish caught at $3,000 to the local economy. I caught over 20 spotties along the way as well. Most of these were also small. D'oh!

Conditions became un-fish-able mid morning as a very-high high tide thrust in. Wind probably hit 20-mph and some waves started spurting over the side of my Outback...thinking of Florida again I guess. Anyway, I made my way back to the launch through the heaving white capped bay and knew I made the right decision to leave it at that.

Here are a few pics...

Enjoy!
will you guide me on bonefish?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
iethinker

Bone Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Great job targeting bonefish and getting them- I hooked one on a white fly Friday afternoon - we were going after spotties on the bottom and then my last fish decided it wanted to swim in a non-spottie fashion... my first bonefish on the fly. Super fun and can't wait to do it again.
Yeah...definitely different than spottie fight. They pinwheel like a yellowtail as you try and bring them to the yak. The bigger ones will rip some real drag too.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #7
iethinker

Wind & Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
will you guide me on bonefish?
I'll PM you if the wind and tide look right for a trip. The last session was pretty bad with only a 10-mph forecast...(always understated on the bay).
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
summers in kuwait

Nice report. Love those bonefish. So much fun to catch. I used to fish the bay a lot from Tidelands back to Chula Vista and would try and target those and corvina. Really fun with light tackle.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #9
taggermike

Sounds like a great time.
I've found anchoring to be very helpful for that South Bay bone fishing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote