Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
StumpFisher

Newport 11/19/17 and bait question

Went out on solo session today (none of my boys up for it today). Launched right at sunrise to beautiful clear skies and calm waters with no wind. Air temp was lower 60s and felt great. Paddled out against the tide to the jetty to set up drift back in. Really slow today. Managed 9 assorted spottie/sandies, with one pig spottie I got in one of the balboa channel entrances, I estimated close to 3 lbs (sorry no pic).

In one area at the mouth of the main channel I located a huge bait ball that was in a little sheltered cove and they were swimming in and out of the area towards the main channel then back. They didn't seem to be disturbed by anything at all. My question in seeing my inexperience is how long would you hang around waiting for something to happen? With all that bait I was sure something had to be coming to feed and thought this was going to be bonito heaven. I worked the area for 15 min with only one small spottie. Would anyone else hang around longer?

Beautiful day though and for awhile just paddled around enjoying the weather.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
taggermike

That is a dilemma. From your description the baits may have been in the little cove to avoid being swept away by the current.
And looking relaxed isn't a good sign.
But that said, you gotta give it a shot. Pull a few different lures on the deep side of the school and let them sink out and away like a weak bait falling out of the school. 10-15 minutes. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote