Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Johnp

T bar hitch suggestions?

Any suggestions on a T bar hitch? Plan to transport on a Chevy Colorado. Kayak is the 2019 Hobie Outback. With the weight of this kayak, it would be nice to have the T bar be able to drop lower, then be able to lift back up after loading. Also is there a possibility of adding pipe to roll on?
I see they vary quite a bit in price. Amazon at 59.00 and Harbor Freight at 65.00 then other models at 250.00 to 300.00. Only plan to use it for the kayak. Anybody have experience with one they would suggest? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
SoCalEDC

I used one for a while, it's pretty handy. If you get one with a right angle in the hitch tube it will scrape when you pull into/out of sloped driveways, streets, etc. If you are going to pay $300 I would look for a used bed rack. It'll be easier to park with that too.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Nickrivers

I use the Yakima Longarm and love it. It doesn't look too funky with it on without the kayak, so I tend to leave it on all the time and have even used it for pipe, lumber, and a christmas tree.

I'm sure there's cheaper options, but I like the look and the functionality. They make a lock for the included pin so no one will steal it. Its secured with a threaded bolt so it doesn't wobble around in the hitch. They also sell a padded velcro piece for the middle of the bar, so I tend to just put the front of my outback on that and push it in, that velcro stays in place and takes a beating.
Nickrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
tak100
Recruit

I use a truck bed extender like the one in the link below. I have never seen one that lowers and raises. Just have to pick the truck bed position or the high rack position.

I use in the truck bed position and it is fairly easy to load my 2014 outback. I just prop up the nose and walk back to the stern it slides right in. I am in a Dodge ram and have never dragged the back but if you are lower it could be a problem.

Check those cheap models for the weight capacity.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TriCam-3...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
stevie951
Lurker

"Also is there a possibility of adding pipe to roll on?"

Throw a couple of footlong 2 or 3 inch pvc tubes over the "T" and drill in some bolts to keep in place

Pool noodle works well too

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
ctfphoto

Buy the best an never regret your purchase.

I have one of these ....

T-Bone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31RxAvkSLUL._AC_.jpg (10.0 KB, 143 views)
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Johnp

I have been hauling in a van with the seats out, palm to stay with the same idea. Leaving gear in and not lifting on to a rack has been great. Once the front end is up, it is easy to lift the back and push in. It tends to get pretty heavy with gear in though for that initial lift on to the bed or hitch. Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
jorluivil

Look around, you should be able to find a used one for a really good price.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
lookoutdj

I have a Boonedox T-bone sitting in my garage not being used if you're interested. I used it on my F-150 to transport my PA 14 until my truck was totaled a couple of months ago. It made moving a big yak super easy. Happy to pass it on for a small rehoming fee. PM me if interested.
lookoutdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Buy the best an never regret your purchase.

I have one of these ....

T-Bone

yups get the t bone....and get it used plenty on sale....the beauty of it is it's freaking light!
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
Johnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutdj View Post
I have a Boonedox T-bone sitting in my garage not being used if you're interested. I used it on my F-150 to transport my PA 14 until my truck was totaled a couple of months ago. It made moving a big yak super easy. Happy to pass it on for a small rehoming fee. PM me if interested.
PM sent, Thanks
Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
Johnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post
yups get the t bone....and get it used plenty on sale....the beauty of it is it's freaking light!

Have come across a used one yet, suggestions on where to find one used? Have not been able to get a hold of Lookoutdj.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
Salty

Not to revive an older thread, but since I have the same truck as you I thought I'd share a pic! I have a Colorado short-box and use the Yakima bed Extender. It works really well for my Passport 12. I do have to put it in upside-down and I put pool noodles under it to keep it from scratching on the bed-liner. But it's super sturdy and I have no issues on the highways. The Yakima is a little on the pricier side, but I keep it on the truck folded up 24/7 and it hasn't been a problem.
Note: I did have to buy the padding separately which kinda sucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5926.jpg (80.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5928.jpg (95.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5930.jpg (91.4 KB, 42 views)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote