Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
medina760

PA 12 VS Outback

I'm thinking about getting back into kayak fishing after giving up last year. I'm looking to get the PA 12 or Outback, I would like to get PA 12 but I'm not sure since I would have to transport it in a sedan. My other issue is surf launching. How much harder is it to surf launch in the PA 12 then the Outback? I'm thinking of fishing it at Carlsbad most of the time. I would appreciate any suggestions on the transportation and lunching from you guys.
medina760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

If you can figure out how to safely load and unload a pa12 on your sedan you should go with the PA. You'll appreciate the room and the stability. As far as launching...you'll figure it out...Don't know about you but 90% of the fishing I do isn't beach launching so for that 10% of the time I am, I just figure I'll deal with it...

That's my thought...
Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
roadx

i had the outback and now the PA. the PA 12 is much harder to get in while in the surf. i still haven't figured out the best way to launch even after dozens of launches, it's awkward.
the only time i have rolled going out was in the PA.
there are pro's and con's for each. i'll keep the PA 12 until a new model that catches my eye.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Oh and if your beach launching all the time...get a paddle kayak.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
medina760

I have never surf launched so that's gonna be something new to learn. But I had an oasis last year, and it didn't workout having to rely on someone all the time. At first I wanted the pa 12 but now I kind off want the outback.
medina760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
MrPatrick

Get an OK Trident, and don't worry about the surf.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by medina760 View Post
I have never surf launched so that's gonna be something new to learn. But I had an oasis last year, and it didn't workout having to rely on someone all the time. At first I wanted the pa 12 but now I kind off want the outback.
I have the Oasis, and usually go with my son. If I went solo, I'd probably prefer to have the Outback. I've gone solo with the Oasis, and it's been Ok. I've never surf launched, so I can't comment there. Good luck.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
stephenG

Love my outback, surf launched it a half dozen times never had an issue, there agian I don't try it against head high surf. I'd say get the outback and use the money you save to get a fishfinder and live well. Just my thoughts.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

The PA is a beast, but once you are out on the water it's heaven.
I love the built in lay-down rod storage - You'll never break a rod wiping out on the beach. Built in tackle storage, huge front compartment storage and plenty of rail space to mount all manner of stuff. Even a big guy like me can comfortably stand in it and cast (in calm water).
Yes, beach launching and landing can be an issue. It is alot easier to do in a paddle kayak where you do not have to worry about the Mirage drive. But having that mirage drive for fishing is simply awesome.

Whatever you decide to get, bring it to the beach stripped down and play in the surf for an afternoon. You'll get to know how it acts launching and landing and you will get a feel for how far you can lean and still maintain control of the boat. I've gotten pretty good at leaning well into the wave on landing my PA14 and keeping everything upright. Also - Get a leash for the Mirage Drive!!! I cannot stress that point enough - those things are expensive to replace!! Mine is leashed, and has a Ptouch label with my contact info on it just in case.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote