Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
jorluivil

What A Year

Though 2016 was a slow year of catching for me it was one of the best years ever tournament wise. Starting to fish on week 4 of a 10-week challenge meant that I had to put a lot of time on the water and fishing not only against private boaters, cattle boats and other kayakers but against guys like Greg and Tony who took 1st place in the MDR Halibut Derby wasn't going to make it any easier. Fast forward a few weeks and the tournament is over, I take 2 of the 6 categories with a 40lb halibut and a 32lb WSB, the halibut becomes the 4th or 5th halibut in the 40lb class that I’ve caught from a kayak, I claim approximately $10k in cash and prizes................what a year

Let’s see what 2017 brings

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
TheBentRod

Nice work

Keep it up man!
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
kirkdavis

I am in AWE.

I saw you catch a WSB and a hali in one day, and I am still waiting for my first of either. You help encourage me to keep putting time on the water, and I know my time will come. I was able to get a BSB and a couple of short WSB, so thanks to you and others on BWE I think I have the basics down pretty good. Good luck again this year!
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Yep I agree! I think overall it was a tough year as far as Halibut fishing goes. But Fantastic year overall, for Team Sewer. I caught a decent halibut every month except March and December. Caught the big 3... Halibut, White SeaBass and Yellowtail, none of which were caught in LJ. I did win the MDR Halibut Derby this year, the first to win on a kayak. Of course i did win that trip to Alaska...which was a blast! I also would have won 2 categories in the Big fish challenge...I could have cheated and dethroned jorge...but I didn't...but I should have! Greg won the HOW tournament, and got a whole shitload of prizes...he almost won the halibut category.. but got dethroned by Jorge. If anybody wants to know Jorge's secret...it's being completely passed out on your kayak...and when your fish tangles all your lines and rocks you awake...start winding, and have your gaff ready. We slayed the lobsters so far this season...possibly the best season of all time, numbers wise. Korea beat the crap out of Mexico in soccer....

So yeah it was a great year!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
King Saba

Great year I'd say. I didn't get any big fish on my trips, but I learned a lot about my local spots, honed my FF skills, and just simply became a better kayaker overall IMO.

Is the tail on the bottom right from a WSB or Halibut? It must of been a biggun' if it was a halibut.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
blitzburgh

STRONG work!!!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
jorluivil

The one on the bottom right is a YT, the only tail that is missing is the 40lb butt tail

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
The one on the bottom right is a YT, the only tail that is missing is the 40lb butt tail
Sorry, meant left. Got dyslexic for a moment. A 40lb butt is serious.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Sorry, meant left. Got dyslexic for a moment. A 40lb butt is serious.
the top ones are all halibut, the two on the bottom left are wsb and the one on the bottom right is a yt

Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Orca Winfrey

That's awesome. One of those looks like a mermaid's tail though. Are those legal?
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
bwana

Esky

Now I know why your garage smelled like fish!
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

You are 'spot-on' Jorge, 2016 was a great year for the bonito to make a come-back! ....
Attached Images

RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
King Saba

Nice! I like your tail mounts Jorge. I'll have to start doing that and stinking up the garage too when I finally get into some exotics.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Nice! I like your tail mounts Jorge. I'll have to start doing that and stinking up the garage too when I finally get into some exotics.
I don't do anything fancy with them, it's as simple as cutting the tail of the fish and leaving outside for a few weeks. Sometimes you'll get maggots in them but it's nothing major, my wife hates it but hey..........she married a fisherman. The smell isn't horrendous, add some plugin air fresheners and that will take care of it.

I'm slowly cleaning out my garage and making space on the walls so that I can start hanging some more fishy stuff. I'm hoping to clear up an entire wall so that I can dedicate it to my fishing stuff.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #15
kirkdavis

Salt

Quote:
I don't do anything fancy with them, it's as simple as cutting the tail of the fish and leaving outside for a few weeks. Sometimes you'll get maggots in them but it's nothing major, my wife hates it but hey..........she married a fisherman. The smell isn't horrendous, add some plugin air fresheners and that will take care of it.

I'm slowly cleaning out my garage and making space on the walls so that I can start hanging some more fishy stuff. I'm hoping to clear up an entire wall so that I can dedicate it to my fishing stuff.
If you salt them up you can cut down on the smell and speed up the process. Thanks for the idea for trophies though, and fortunately I have a wife who doesn't mind (as long as the smell doesn't come in the house)!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #16
YakDout
Brandon

Garage is mans land anyways. No chicks allowed.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
kirkdavis

Smiling Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Garage is mans land anyways. No chicks allowed.
My wife refers to the garage as my smiling place. It has not had a car parked in it in 20 years, and she is good about warning people not to mess with it.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #18
King Saba

Quote:

That's what I was thinking. I might add gloss or something like that so the tails preserve better, but my laziness may get the better of me. And, you need more tails for that wall. lol