Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
bigmike
Junior

Barn Kelp Oceanside

Im a north county resident looking to move my pa-14 from oceanside harbor to the pendelton barn kelp. I don't have fishfinder. Has anyone done the paddle and give me an idea of what kind of paddle ill be looking at. I would love to have company id like to go this weekend.
bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
FoodGeekFish

Per the coordinates given here: http://www.socaloceanfishing.com/hp_kelp.html , you're looking at about an 8.5-9 mile pedal each way.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
crashcrow

I'm in Vista. Cant go this weekend but i'm interested in finding fish up here as well.... It is a lot harder than La Jolla. I could probably give you a tow to the kelp with my solo skiff.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
A-Train
Junior

Im planning on going to the barn kelp on my 13' boston whaler saturday morning i'll keep an eye out for you.

In my opinion that would make for a very long day in a PA-14, almost not worth it. The artificial reefs outside the harbor are always holding fish but you have to be right on top of them. If you have a handheld GPS you can get the coordinates off the fish & game website. Or wait until Oct 2nd commercial lobster season and you can go fish the bouys.

I have a quest 13 and can paddle circles around PA-14's, and I wouldn't attempt to go all the way to the barn kelp but that's just me...but conditions do look pretty good this weekend.

Good luck!
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
bigmike
Junior

Thanks for input

Sounded like a good idea when i wrote it. Thanks for input it's definitely more than i can chew. Ill keep it simplier.
bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
Tomol

You're going to need a fishfinder. The kelp pretty much disappeared last year, and while it's slowly coming back, it's almost all too short to reach the surface. Plus, even at its best it's patchy and widely spread out. You'll be frustrated.

For what it's worth, I think it's a shorter paddle from San Onofre, but then it's an upwind slog back up the line if the westerly kicks in.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Barn Kelp Oceanside

Check our the artificial reefs to the north of the jetty. Lots of good fish. Need to go with someone who has a fishfinder though.

If I didn’t have a cold going, I’d show you around. Next time

Last edited by YakDout; 08-16-2019 at 05:45 PM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote