Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
Harry Hill

Rubber boots

Who makes the most comfortable rubber boots. I see deck hands wearing theirs all day but mine are from the farm store, I have to wear them to clean soggy horse corrals, and they are murder on the feet. I know there has to be a brand that people can work in all day without feeling like their feet are being mangled. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
cabojohn
PROBATION

XTRATUF Neoprene Boots-
Money well spent!!
Add insoles / arch support if needed
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Harry Hill

is there plenty of toe room? I always have a problem with one foot not fitting right so I can keep them on very long. I'll give those boots a look.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
XTRATUF Neoprene Boots-
Money well spent!!

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
XTRATUF Neoprene Boots-
Money well spent!!

x3, take insoles with you when you go to try them on
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
Harry Hill

yeah, I always have to add insoles to everything, many years of working on my feet has caused my arches to fall. So good support is first. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Salty

THESE!!
https://fishshop.shimano.com/product...=1555705036812

I've spent many 18-24 hour days on my buddy's Pilothouse hunting for bluefin cows on both rough and smooth conditions. Used to use Xtratuff boots. But if the seas are rough, I'd get lots of foot pain from slamming on the swells, especially on the big-toe. These Shimano boots are hands-down the most comfortable boots I've used! The padding on the bottom is super thick and has space underneath, so if you get splashed and water gets in, your feet above the water and stay dry (for the most part). I HIGHLY recommend trying them out. The only downside is that they run a little bit on the large size and they don't offer half-sizes. But I don't mind the extra room. Never felt like they were going to fall off when running up to the bow or hopping up on the roof with the binos to check for birds
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
Harry Hill

shimano's

if you buy them large do they pull your socks off? My farm boots always work my socks off and they are the correct size.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
if you buy them large do they pull your socks off? My farm boots always work my socks off and they are the correct size.
I'm normally a size 12 and these had a little extra room, so i tried the 11 and it was WAY too tight. I sometimes wear socks with them depending on weather conditions and have not yet had an issue with them pulling off socks. I usually wear thicker, breathable hiking boot socks if I do.
Worth noting is that I only use them on-deck, not in muddy conditions like you might be experiencing. I can't say how they would perform in conditions where mud or certain "Equine-Related Substances" might keep them stuck to the ground as you try to lift your feet
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
ProfessorLongArms

I'm a fan of XtraTuff. I've seen in a lot of reviews that people will double up their socks and wear them around for a while to stretch them and break them in. Definitely hard to mitigate that soreness in the toes, especially on a long day out on the water.

Now, if you're talking about going out on a kayak, I've been working at this one for a while. I'd been wearing neoprene booties for the longest, but they just don't drain and dry from the initial wade out into the surf or provide the support I want.

I eventually settled on Merrill water shoe with a .5mil neoprene sock. Super comfortable, warm, and not as soggy as a neoprene boot.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
Harry Hill

I have beach shoes I wear when kayaking so that isn't an issue. I am walking in thick sticky mud when cleaning corrals so that is an issue. I also walk about a half mile in them to do a different ranch every day, that is my biggest issue. Walking in the boots I have right now starts mashing my little toes and gets real uncomfortable, but the mud doesn't pull them off. I did have the mud at the coast guard beach in Newport pull my wading shoes off once on a super low tide.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
MMc
Junior

I used Xtra tough for years. I tried the Shimano boat and love them. I have a 3E wide foot and these are great.
MMc is offline   Reply With Quote