Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
jbl_91762

Fred Hall good for deals?

Have not been in many years and just getting into serious fishing. I realize they showcase the latest and greatest, but are there other vendors there selling lures, rods, reels, etc that they just want to move? I would also like to get a new CF paddle if prices are right. Bottom line is it worth it to go for buying or is it more of checking things out? Thanks
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Both.

In the past, some anglers would go on Sunday to get deals from the merchants that did not want to pack them back home. The selection would be less, but prices would be good. That was stopped by FH.

It is a chance to see how many of us crazies are out there.

However, it is a must see since it is only once a year.

Turnner's is always busy, others may have some great deals, but you have to look for it.

There are even pretty girl models sometimes!

I will be helping at the Cedros Outdoor Advantures booth everyday except Thursday.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

We will have 15% off paddles at Long Beach
Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
taggermike

Not really the answer you asked for. But your dollar often goes further at Day at the Docks. It's about 1/1000th the size but it's all just local salt water fishing.
Any way, worth checking out if you're in SD. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
You will always need lead & hooks

If nothing else.....
Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

You can get good deals if you know what you are looking for and stick to a shopping list, as it is really easy to get things you don't really need just because the price is good. I usually end up with stuff I really don't need to feed my ever expanding "Tackle Ho" stash, but a lot of that is because I will be there every day working for Promar/Ahi, usually in the Turner's booth, so I get plenty of walking around time.

Look at last week's Western Outdoors. A lot of the vendors will run ads on what their show specials are. If there is nothing in the ads that strikes you, or nothing you would be shopping for then you may want to pass.

Also, look at the seminars. There may be something that will take down your learning curve, like one of the Jim Salazar (Saba Slayer) lobster sessions, or Team Sewer's instructionals.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
If nothing else.....
Best prices I see at the show on lead are usually by the Leadmasters guys in the Bob Sands booth.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
bwana

It's an annual event for me (and my grown daughters). I recall when they were little and the Bongos Girls would load them up with gifts and they would spin the Ironman Wheel for jigs (I have more jigs than a man can use in 2 lifetimes).

A lot of landings have discounts (15%) for pre-booking tuna trips.

Great seminars. Looking forward to Yanni giving Scott Layseth a run for his money. Hoping Iceman can help me bag bigger tournament bay bass this year. Other people are doing saltwater bay bass tournament seminars too.

If you are a beginner So Ca surf fisherman, check out one of Bill Varney's seminars.

As a 30+ year lab owner, ultimate air dogs is always fun to watch.

I eat/drink across the street out the Pine Ave exit (go upstairs, get stamped, come and go as you please). I used to like the Irish pub for years, but was disappointed in the food last year. Will still pop in for their Red Breast Irish whiskey shots (try buying that at the show). Will try one of the other restaurants for lunch this year. I also enter here with prepaid or CCA admission as the line is much shorter.

Last year I scored on a Penn rod at Turners at more than 2/3 off. Mated it to a Penn Fathom 15 2 speed lever drag set up bought at Sharkbait during their offsite show special (If I remember correctly 20% off reel/braid, $25 gift certificate and a free lure). This combo is now my favorite open water kayak combo.

Throw in putting your hands on the latest kayaks, solo, boats, rods, reels how could you not enjoy going to the mecca of So Ca fishing? Yeah you might be able to buy things cheaper online and read other people's reviews in the privacy of your home but where is the fun in that?

And that doesn't include all the friends and boat crew you run into that you haven't seen or fished with for years.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
...I will be there every day working for Promar/Ahi, usually in the Turner's booth, so I get plenty of walking around time.
Dude, do you know if there will be any deals on the Ahi jigheads? I'm super into those things and would love to get my hands on more of them. Especially if there are heavier weights in the rotation now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Last year I scored on a Penn rod at Turners at more than 2/3 off...
Rumor has it they will be doing the same thing with their California brand rods this year...... :drool:

EDIT: Maybe not. Turners add here: https://www.turners.com/info/fred-ha...1#.WLSE5CErLRY

Last edited by goldenglory18; 02-27-2017 at 10:58 AM.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Dude, do you know if there will be any deals on the Ahi jigheads? I'm super into those things and would love to get my hands on more of them. Especially if there are heavier weights in the rotation now.
I have not seen the specials for this year, but in the past there was good pricing on hoop nets, sabikis, sabiki sticks, jigs and on the heads. I seem to remember a buy 3 get one free on some of the items, but not sure. I can report back when I know.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
Mahigeer

I have had a disappointing experience with the Ahi megabait style lures.

After few cast all of the bait came off. The rep. at the Ahi booth said they had problems with defective clear coating, but would not replace mine.

My $ bill was not defective, so why should I have to accept a defective lure.

Not cool at all.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post

After few cast all of the bait came off. The rep. at the Ahi booth said they had problems with defective clear coating, but would not replace mine.

Not cool at all.
Oh wow. Are you talking about the epoxy coated ones with iridescent coloring?
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
jorluivil

I go just to collect stickers

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post

Not cool at all.
I have been in touch with the team at Ahi. Please bring the jig by the booth at the show and it will be made right. Ask for Ben or me - Shawn, though they usually stick me in the Turners booth.

I sent you my cell, so we will make it happen before the show is done
Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Mahigeer

I have purchased many Ahi products, such as the hoop nets, bait cage, and my favorite has been the Sabiki rod.

I have shown many people on the piers the Sabiki rod and have recommended it. I have even discussed it here.

It seems that my particular case was an isolated case.

People who know me well, know that I am truthful (sometimes to a fault), and my intention was not to discredit Promar or Ahi products. I just wanted to share my experience.

Without the package, I am not sure what I have.

Hunter Pa, thank you for your offer to help.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Hunters Pa

Ahi Sabo jigheads are $2.99 a pack, buy 3 get one free
Old 03-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Chuck D

I always get a multi pack of sabikis from turners. It makes them way cheaper and I go through about 15 in a year so I re-up every time.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote