Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
semiwrecker

Question La Jolla~ anyone wanna go?

tomorrow i want to take my pro angler out for the first time in the big pond out of la jolla... pretty sure i got everything i need safety wise.. was just wondering if if there were any other generous fisherman out there tomorrow that wouldnt mind if i tagged along to show me the ropes. kinda nervous being my first time out there but what the hell... i am not a total shit head ive fished many many overnighters and 1.5 dy trips and have some fishing knowledge. ive heard its always better to go with a friend. so just wondering if anyone was up for a la jolla trip tomorrow? just let me know!
semiwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
batty1of3

my first time i went alone too and could not wait to do it again
i'll be out in the am been keeping an eye on the forecast on magicseaweed.com
looks like they are going to be up a bit more than forcast earlier today 3 ft in the morning i think that is still manageable i think if they were more likee 5' i would bail on the beach and hit the bay
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
semiwrecker

hmm are the conditions too big for a newby?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiwrecker View Post
hmm are the conditions too big for a newby?

If you think twice when you get there just remember that you will be coming back in tired and with your back to the swell, so harder to watch.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
WahooUSMA

tomorrow

SIO forecast say's 2ft. I could be wrong, but it seems ok to me???? I'll be in the orange Revo in a.m.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Three3Divine
Junior

yeah man im going out tomorrow too if you need anything i will be in a dune revo!
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
batty1of3

i dont think it would be too big for newb they were about that big last week too as long as you dont overtire yourself and pay attention should be fine liek i said i'll be there and i've only been 1 time before i headed back in at about noon cause i was tired at that point and knew i still needed to come back in
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
semiwrecker

ok cool guys ill be the guy overlooking my yak 9 times over on the beach with the silver toyota tacoma...(sand colored pro angler) my name is Ian what time is everyone headed out?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
WahooUSMA

I should be there around 5:30, if I can get my fat ass out of bed!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
bubblehide

4:30-ish ,

White (bottom) and yellow (deck) Altura
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Three3Divine
Junior

should be there about 5 bud
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
SIO forecast say's 2ft. I could be wrong, but it seems ok to me???? I'll be in the orange Revo in a.m.
I was definitely wrong!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
WahooUSMA

Quote:
tomorrow i want to take my pro angler out for the first time in the big pond out of la jolla... pretty sure i got everything i need safety wise.. was just wondering if if there were any other generous fisherman out there tomorrow that wouldnt mind if i tagged along to show me the ropes. kinda nervous being my first time out there but what the hell... i am not a total shit head ive fished many many overnighters and 1.5 dy trips and have some fishing knowledge. ive heard its always better to go with a friend. so just wondering if anyone was up for a la jolla trip tomorrow? just let me know!

How was your first trip out with the Pro Angler? I am thinking about selling one of my Revo's and stepping up to a bigger boat. But it just seems so freaking big and cumbersome. Can you load in the bed of a truck with all the accessories ie., seat, etc? I have a fullsize 6 in lifted Chevy Crew Cab with Thrule racks and getting my Revo up on top of the racks can be a ball buster sometimes. My back hurts for day's, so tossing into the bed would defintely be a selling point for me. I can't imagine loading a 140lb kayak after a long trip in.

How was landing in yesterday's surf?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
semiwrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
How was your first trip out with the Pro Angler? I am thinking about selling one of my Revo's and stepping up to a bigger boat. But it just seems so freaking big and cumbersome. Can you load in the bed of a truck with all the accessories ie., seat, etc? I have a fullsize 6 in lifted Chevy Crew Cab with Thrule racks and getting my Revo up on top of the racks can be a ball buster sometimes. My back hurts for day's, so tossing into the bed would defintely be a selling point for me. I can't imagine loading a 140lb kayak after a long trip in.

How was landing in yesterday's surf?
i wasnt really expecting to catch anything being my first time out just wanted to get my feet wet so i knew what i was getting into i guess? haha, with that being said i started the morning off by being late on arrival i was was meeting batty1of3 out there.. forgot the waders at home wich wasnt a big deal, never got cold. launching was no big deal. made 1 piece of bait then hooked a small baracuda reeling bait up and broke off my sabiki then my 2nd sabiki was waaay too big. batty made bait for me (thank you mario) and yes my ego is bruised i got seasick... this is my first time on the water since last november in thailand.. <--- excuses excuses. very unexpected for me since i cant remember the last time i got sick?... peddled out past the red stuff for clearer water watched the birds porpoise and dogs do their thing. tossed the iron a little bit just to watch the slime sticks follow my bait back in. went to grab some bait out of my tank to find 1" water inside all my bait laying on their side wigglin around... had a choice of colorful words to myself. so i cruised around asked a couple dudes what the scoop was and didnt seem like there was much goin on? tossed all my bait.. grabbed a fresh one from batty hung around the kelp for a little while longer then bounced.. it was an awesome day i thought just had a few minor issues. landing the yak was no big deal. probably will be my most successful surf landing. but after all the crap i guess the yellowtail gods let me get away with a clean landing... found that i sucked up some grass into my bildge is what stopped my tank. talked to a couple freedivers and they said there are a grip of wsb out there 10'-15' down 40# fish. loading the yak is no problem i just toss it in the bed of my tacoma with a T-bar extension let it hang right out the back in tie'er down. $30 at harbor freight. i got the short bed so no biggy. you could unload most the stuff before tossin it in the truck. the yak is big and it is heavy to lug around but i think the pros outweigh the cons in this case. any other questions man let me know.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
toby

Good job Ian. Sounds like you had a good time.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
semiwrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Good job Ian. Sounds like you had a good time.
hey toby!! when we gettin out there!?
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you have a Hobie Livewell the problem with the water draining out is well known. The on-off switch is in a location where it is easy to accidentally bump the switch and turn the pump off. When this happens, most of the water will drain off.

There is an easy solution to this problem. Fit a 90 degree El on the output of the water pump. Attach a piece of pipe to the El and position the fitting so the pipe points up. This way if you accidentally turn off the pump the water will not drain below the top of the pipe. You can see a post about this fix in the Share Your Innovations thread.

As for clearing out a plugged intake pipe, I have discovered an easy way to do that as well. I keep a 12" piece of sprinkler riser in my tank. When the pump clogs up, I shove the riser into the end of the pipe I just described above and blow. Anything that may be in the line gets pushed back into the ocean.

Both of these solutions work perfectly.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Billy V

I use a screen inside of the intake tube to prevent grass from entering the pump.

If you are going to fish in the kelp- its easy to bail IN a few scoops of fresh water as opposed to letting the pump run.
It will almost certainly clog at some time.

I carry a small container for fresh water.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
toby

Quote:
hey toby!! when we gettin out there!?

I don't know when I'm getting out these day till the last minute. My parents are elderly and I've been spending a lot of time helping them lately. I'll give you a holler one of these days.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
semiwrecker

i think i am gonna do the sscreen over the intake yea there was a piece of sea weed stickin out all the way through the bildge about 10 inches long

and toby just shoot me a email i got the next month off!