Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
sterling

LJ 2-24

Fairly big surf @ 5:00am. Asked Patrick if anyone was out yet. He said one guy just launched. I watched for awhile and watched the guy launch in reverse go forward come back a lot go forward come back even more! Been there done that. Launched myself at 5:15 quick interval set made it an interesting launch. Wind got stonger and stayed strong 10-15 mph and big seas. Not too much fun. I decided to go in after I got pushed waaay outside. Lot of time and effort I was back in and it turned beautifull. The wind shut off and got warm. I never saw the other 2 kayakers again or the 8' Zodiak with 4 guys. I heard them start the engine but did hear them come out. They either went North or went home.

2 Barries for me, 1 legal both released
Patrick did better.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling
Patrick did better.
Patrick... lets hear it!

Thanks for the report. I wouldn't go out tomorrow otherwise
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

The surf was interesting with waves doubling up on each other. The wind was pretty stiff from the east until someone hit the off switch at 8:45. Turned into a beautiful day with just a few people on the water.

I picked this guy up around 8:15. Just over 20lbs

And then this little guy an hour and a half later. Guessing 40-50lbs.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Brian Sanner

Nice!!! Sounds like not too bad a day despite how conditions were early.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I don't remember who it was but in a thread, the conversation turned to the amount of people out or the rat yellows that were being caught (summer time stuff). He said something to the effect of "just wait until winter and you'll have a 30 lb YT on your lap and LJ will be empty". I felt that last weekend and it seems you did today.. How good a feeling that is!
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
jscott

Always fun to tug on those BSB. Only thing I worry about is it going back down ok.

-scott
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
linghunter
skunk

Gaff Guy

Sterling , Haven't heard from you in a while , hope all is well . Sorry no YT , give me a call if you still have my # Paul
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
sterling

Paul T

Yes I still have your #. I'll give you a call. I went out with my friend and his 15 year old son last Saturday. Total rookies and they nailed a 44 lbs WSB and 2 28# Yt. The dad got the wsb and the kid the yt's. His first ever! That kid gets his 1st yt ever and it was from a yak and it was huge. That kid is spoiled now!
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
jimbo

my experience 7/24

I launched early. It may have been me you seen going backwards. The first wave knocked my fish bag right of my yak, so I put it in reverse, stowed it in the back and took off again. Went to pier for bait, but swell was too big to get in close to pier. Waves were breaking just at edge of pier. Didn't want to get swallowed by rogue wave in the dark. Was able to pick up few bait in 50 ft, but had to work for them. Got 1 good strike 7:00-ish and decided wind wasn't worth fighting any more so headed in around 8:30. Got picked up just outside the edge of resevoir as I was coming in. I was hopeful at first, but soon realized the fish was big and slow. It was indeed a BSB: 30-40#. Pulled 2 hooks out of his mouth (including 1 of my own), and safely released it. That's 2 BSB for me in past week.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
linghunter
skunk

Sterling , Sounds like even the newbies fish better than me .
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
GBF

Very Nice Fish!!

GBF
Old 02-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Saturday 2 24 LJ

This post is a little on the untimely side, but it is here regardless.

I got off to a little late start due to some electrical difficulties. The surf was a little nasty but I fared much better than the guys in the Zodiac!lol
It wasn't pretty.

After getting out, I stopped at the buoys (where did the buoys go?), got ran over by a pod of dolphins, worked really hard with a squid tipped sabiki to produce three mackerel. Wind and seas were pretty rough I was starting to wonder if it was safe to stay out, when the wind just quit and it became beautiful out there. I live lined until my bait ran off, switched to yo-yoing Iron at around 100ft. and just could not get the bite. I moved in a little to around 80 ft. with no results. Finally gave up at around ten thirty and headed in just to hook up right outside the preserve, brought a 5ft leopard to leader, then lost it as I messed around looking for my missing pliers.

all in all a fun but cold day.

Hoorah to the other 4 kayakers out there in the elements that morning!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote