Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

New Port Beach Bound!

Hi guys! Coming from Las Vegas for a chance to fish some saltwater, fist time this year, YEAH! I'm planning to launch from the Coast Guard Beach and from what I've found, I'll have to park on the street. I've got a beach cart.
Looking for some company if anyone wants to join or send some good info to a landlubber.
I hear there's some man made fish areas to the north of the harbor mouth. Any coordinates will be appreciated.
Should I bring some shrimp? What size lead heads? flat falls? Should I get bait at the barge or has it been easy making bait with the sabiki?
I'm not a complete noob when it comes to saltwater but any relevant info would greatly be appreciated!
I plan to leave 6am as that's when I remember the parking lot opens.

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
greenscales
greenscales

Haven’t fished the spot in a while, but one suggestion if you are not used to current. Check the tides and plan accordingly to not fight extreme swings, but use them. It will allow you cover more distance on the water. Expect a lot of boat traffic as things open up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
ivanwang811
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
Hi guys! Coming from Las Vegas for a chance to fish some saltwater, fist time this year, YEAH! I'm planning to launch from the Coast Guard Beach and from what I've found, I'll have to park on the street. I've got a beach cart.
Looking for some company if anyone wants to join or send some good info to a landlubber.
I hear there's some man made fish areas to the north of the harbor mouth. Any coordinates will be appreciated.
Should I bring some shrimp? What size lead heads? flat falls? Should I get bait at the barge or has it been easy making bait with the sabiki?
I'm not a complete noob when it comes to saltwater but any relevant info would greatly be appreciated!
I plan to leave 6am as that's when I remember the parking lot opens.
Not sure about the artificial reefs but definitely hit up the rockfish grounds. I won't be able to tell you coordinates but they're out there. Make sure to bring your fish finder if you plan to target them. Use bottom lock to get a better look at the bottom and drop on it when it looks interesting. Flat-falls work sometimes but also try bait. Squid and shrimp work well as well as live bait. Don't know if its worth the time catching though. The bait is all around the harbor mouth. gl out there
ivanwang811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

Welcome to the area! Newport has such a large amount of fish, both inside and outside the harbor. If you're planning on staying inside, you can throw lures for barracuda and calicos or dropshot/drift live bait for halibut. Good spotties in there as well, further back into the harbor.

Outside, the fish are everywhere. If you are rockfishing (dropping on marks deeper than 150'), please bring a descender and avoid using small hooks if possible. The grounds are right outside the harbor and get pummeled daily by boats, so the bigger baits and hooks will weed out the smaller fish. Squid is king.

Also, there's toad sand bass all over the sandy bottom. If you mark something on the bottom at around 85'-140', drop fast! They get huge out here.

If you find yourself getting skunked, tie on size 1-2 hooks to a double dropper loop setup and go drop small squid strips right up against the red buoy without disturbing the seals. The fish fight hard there so be ready!
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info you've given. Coming from the desert you kinda forget the things that you guys take for granted.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
jbl_91762

You can park in the CC parking but if I recall you have a trailer so yes park in street. If you go on weekend get there very early as parking on street fills up. For rock fish, yeah those spots are held close to the chest, but just get out there and look for the other kayaks lol. FYI the bait barge is there now so you can get live bait and maybe it has attracted fish at the bottom. I was there the weekend they got setup and nada but that was 3 weeks ago. Fishing has not been good where we went last time as not much kelp has grown there. I could be wrong as again last time i went it was 3 weeks ago. Good luck Cuz!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
igotpron
Xcoastie

Search the forums. There was a couple guys looking to take people out for rock fish in Newport if memory serves me right. Dude was pulling fish and looking to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Newport Beach Report 6/10-11

First of all, thanks for all the helpful tips and reminders that made my trip a success! Day 1 headed out the harbor and to the left to drop down some shrimp for a some spotties and sheephead. I was near crystal cove looking for kelp pockets.
Day 2 I had limited time and worked the mouth right near the front of right jetty. Several spotties and then non stop mackerel bite all on a 1oz kastmaster. On the way back in, got myself a shorty halibut. It was good to be back on there salt!

Old 06-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

Glad you had a good time. Did you find the kelp at cc?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote