Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Harry Hill

I need some opinions

I'm going to buy a pedal kayak this year but I don't know which brand yet or model. My question isn't about brands but about size. I figure the sizes run from 11.5 to 15' and I would like to hear everyones thoughts about why they chose a certain size and if they are happy with their choice. I am fishing mostly salt water in bays but plan on going off shore more often. Currently I am paddling a Malibu Pro2tandem from mostly the solo position. I've got a blown out shoulder so paddling is starting to hurt. I did have a 12' Ascend from Bass Pro that was a tank but stable, although it took on water in the slightest chop. It still seemed to be an adequate length so I don't think the 12' was a handicap and the Pro2T is 14' and also seems okay. Since I can only reach things within arms length anyway I don't need extra length but if it's better in rough water to have length that would be a benefit. Anyway, thanks for the input in advance. I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this so please weigh in on it.

Harry
Old 08-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
TheBoyScout

Hobie Pro Angler. I love having all the space still easy to pedal and I can story everything I want to be comfortable on the water. Hobie outback is also a good choice I have both 2015 models I still prefer my PA14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
Hobie Pro Angler. I love having all the space still easy to pedal and I can story everything I want to be comfortable on the water. Hobie outback is also a good choice I have both 2015 models I still prefer my PA14

Thanks, one benefit I see with length is storing rods when landing
Old 08-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
TheBoyScout

I personally don't put my rods under the deck but I like the option. PA has plenty of pad eyes for Rod leashes

TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Mr_Fixit

I was considering the same thing not long ago. There are many factors involved. In my case, I have a constraint due to the weight of the kayak. I needed to be able to get my kayak on top of my car.

The AP's get serious + on stability (Easily stand on them) and storage, but a - for weight - they are quite heavy.
The Outback has decent storage but you are not able to stand (Or at least I cant). They are definitely lighter than the AP.

For me, the Outback was the choice. Though if I did not have weight constraints I would have easily and happily gone with the AP.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
I personally don't put my rods under the deck but I like the option. PA has plenty of pad eyes for Rod leashes

I don't plan on putting rods under the deck but I had pad eyes to everything and I think if a kayak is long enough for me to keep the rod tips in the boat and put a bungee across the rods so they are down out of the way. Most of my rods are about 7' long, now I stash them in the rod holders on my bait tank but I haven't done any surf landings yet and I'm afraid if I rolled I could break rods if they are strapped in.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

I faced the same choice last summer after a black seabass kicked my butt and I had to paddle back with my arms spasming. I kept my Trident 15, mainly for surf launch/landings. I bought a used PA14. I decided on the PA14 for the following reasons:
  • Potential to take one of my kids with me
  • Added stability
  • Rod storage in rails
  • Nice wide hooping platform
  • More stable in case my wife wants to do a bay run, with me in a paddle yak (selling it as a cross-training platform for her triathlon training helped with approval on the purchase )
  • There was one available at a good price
Now, I am lucky enough to be able to have different kayaks for different applications. I have the PA for ramp or harbor launches, the Trident for surf launches and a Scrambler to throw on top of my commuter car when I anticipate being able to cut out of work early and hit Huntington Harbor for a few hours with the bare minimum tray of plastics and 2 rods.

That said, the PA is a beast. I was putting it on top of my SUV, using a couple carpeted 2x4s as runners to help get it there. It was still unwieldy for someone 5'11 and a scrawny 150#. So I bought a used jetski trailer and adapted it for the PA. Much, much easier loading it on there than trying to put it on top of the SUV after a day on the water. But, the PA on a trailer has a bigger footprint than the PA alone. So you will need somewhere to be able to park it.

No real advice, just insight into my decision process
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
radastaff

from a anti shark point of view

If your yak is as long or longer than a shark
maybe the shark will go pick on someone not his own size

If your yak is not harbor seal beige color
maybe the shark will not think your yak is a seal

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
ol'skool

I had the PA14 and loved everything about it but my problem is the same as yours...bad shoulder & back...and that sucker is heavy, especially when it 's loaded down going up hill in soft sand I ended up selling it for other reasons but just recently ended up with a 2016 Outback after trying out my buddies. Gotta say, I love it. A lot lighter, very stable, a little faster. Not as feature loaded as the PA but outfitting these things is half the fun for me. I'm 60, 6"3" and 230 lbs and the Outback has all the room I need. I also bought the Rolleze kayak beach cart and now hauling this thing down the beach is a dream compared to the PA. Easier to load and unload by your lonesome also.
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'skool View Post
I had the PA14 and loved everything about it but my problem is the same as yours...bad shoulder & back...and that sucker is heavy, especially when it 's loaded down going up hill in soft sand I ended up selling it for other reasons but just recently ended up with a 2016 Outback after trying out my buddies. Gotta say, I love it. A lot lighter, very stable, a little faster. Not as feature loaded as the PA but outfitting these things is half the fun for me. I'm 60, 6"3" and 230 lbs and the Outback has all the room I need. I also bought the Rolleze kayak beach cart and now hauling this thing down the beach is a dream compared to the PA. Easier to load and unload by your lonesome also.
+1 I have the 2015 Outback and love it. I would not recommend an Outback older than the 2015, the Vantage seat really makes a difference.

Last edited by octico; 08-19-2016 at 03:57 PM.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Dave Legacy

Your Pro 2 Tandem is actually 13' long. For what you're looking to do it seems like the Outback is a pretty good fit.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Your Pro 2 Tandem is actually 13' long. For what you're looking to do it seems like the Outback is a pretty good fit.
Thanks Dave, I think I knew that but in my mind I added a foot. There are a lot of different brands coming out with peddle boats and I plan on trying out many of them. I keep trying to get down to OEX to try the Native boats, but Jackson is coming out with a new boat as is Feel Free and Old Town. I'm in no hurry because money is going to be an issue along the way. I also saw another brand that is using Hobies Mirage Drive but is a third the price of a Hobie. I have a trailer I built for hauling my kayaks but I also have a rack on my truck for when it's just me so weight is a factor. I can put the Pro2T on it with my bait tank and all the gear on it but it's heavy. I could carry in the bed of the truck but I don't like having all my gear exposed if I have to stop somewhere. Mostly I'm not worried about the brand right now. I'm just wondering what is the best length from most of you experienced kayakers is from your combined experience.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Maxfli123

PA 14 hands down. Not a big fan of the other peddle kayaks but it may suit your needs well, so demo them all and make a well informed decision. I top my PA 14 on my Cadi and to me seems easier than loading my prowler 15 as you only lift half the weight. My only complaint is I want another PA 14 but both won't fit on top. Good luck with the purchase, I know I love my PA it the "cadiyak" of kayaks if you know what I mean
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
YakDout
Brandon

Outback 2015+ is my input. Lighter, a little faster, I stand on mine all the time unless it is pretty rough. Better in surf as well.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Saba Slayer

Try

Try a few Kayaks to see what fits your fishing style and what works for your transport and storage...MO says..."kayaks are like shoes, you need to find one that fits".
OEX has two locations on the water and the Sunset Beach store is a Hobie dealer.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
CR Yaker

The Revolution 11 is the perfect kayak for all short trips both surf and fresh (I've been in an Outback and Revolution 13, if your a big guy I would recommend the Outback or 13). If you get caught in nasty weather it cuts through waves nicely and has great stability. At 11.5 ft, easy to transport and store. Is light enough to lift by the handles. To me it's the perfect all around kayak. For long distance and guests I have the Tandem Island.

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 08-19-2016 at 08:34 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #17
King Saba

I like hobies since their Mirage drive only requires a pushing movement from your legs thus resulting in less fatigue and joint stiffness IMO. Kayaks with prop blades and bike pedals may be a good alternative since they are looking to be cheaper than a hobie.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
taggermike

There's a fundamental difference between peddle and paddle yaks that I haven't heard mentioned before.

Hope I can explain it well enough. A paddled yak gets its propulsive force at the sides in alternating strokes. This causes the yak to 'snake wake'. A remedy for this is to make long narrow yaks that don't pivot left n right on their central point.

Ive used the extremes of paddle yaks. Cobra fish n dive at 13' x 36" to a 17' X 26" sit in side touring yak. The FnD tracks horribly as a good part of the paddle stroke drives the bow sideways as well as the boat forward. The touring yak drives forward and keeps a much straiter course.

A peddle yak has its propulsion at its mid line. This force is more constant as well. This puts the force in to forward motion and not in to moving the bow back and forth.

Ive used the extremes of peddle yaks as well. Hobie out back Vs Hobie adventure. I found they track the same; nice and straight. The 16' adventure did move faster for the same effort than the out back tho.

Sorry if this post got involved. My main point is that width is less critical to a peddle yaks performance than it is to a paddle yaks. Hope this helped. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
There's a fundamental difference between peddle and paddle yaks that I haven't heard mentioned before.

Hope I can explain it well enough. A paddled yak gets its propulsive force at the sides in alternating strokes. This causes the yak to 'snake wake'. A remedy for this is to make long narrow yaks that don't pivot left n right on their central point.

Ive used the extremes of paddle yaks. Cobra fish n dive at 13' x 36" to a 17' X 26" sit in side touring yak. The FnD tracks horribly as a good part of the paddle stroke drives the bow sideways as well as the boat forward. The touring yak drives forward and keeps a much straiter course.

A peddle yak has its propulsion at its mid line. This force is more constant as well. This puts the force in to forward motion and not in to moving the bow back and forth.

Ive used the extremes of peddle yaks as well. Hobie out back Vs Hobie adventure. I found they track the same; nice and straight. The 16' adventure did move faster for the same effort than the out back tho.

Sorry if this post got involved. My main point is that width is less critical to a peddle yaks performance than it is to a paddle yaks. Hope this helped. Mike
Thanks Mike, it all helps and you explained the difference fine. The answer I'm seeking though is which length is best. I'm going to try the Hobie and some of the propeller type of kayaks. Since I've spent a ton of time on recumbent bikes in therapy I like the rotation of the peddles on the propeller type of kayaks. Since I have these new knees I can do either type of motion without problems. There will be a bunch of new models coming out in the next few months. I know an 11.5' kayak will be lighter but is giving up the weight advantage worth it for better stability in rough water or does it make a difference? I know part of it is personal preference. Do the guys who peddle the shorter kayaks wish they were longer, and vice versa, do the guys with the longer kayaks wish they weren't so long and heavy?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I know an 11.5' kayak will be lighter but is giving up the weight advantage worth it for better stability in rough water or does it make a difference? I know part of it is personal preference. Do the guys who peddle the shorter kayaks wish they were longer, and vice versa, do the guys with the longer kayaks wish they weren't so long and heavy?
Depends on your range. That's why I have two. In the Revo 11, what I give up in speed/range, I gain in simplicity and weight, yet it's a safe kayak for extreme conditions. Whereas, in a longer, Tandem Island, I gain range and speed, but a needed trailer and greater storage space.
I say get the minimum size kayak for your fishing needs and hopefully it can just be thrown in the back of a pickup or car. Keep it simple.

Mark
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote