Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
jdvarnold

Fishing the Dana Point "Point"

Hi, First time poster here, long time reader. I generally fish Newport harbor for bass and halibut and venture out South of the harbor to fish the Kelp of for Rock Fish. Going to launch out of DP Monday and could use some guidance.

I have fished the point in DP alot from a boat and hooked up well on bass and the occasional YT, but never been there from a kayak. I was looking to launch at Doheny Beach and go around the jetty to get to the point, but wasn't sure if this was too far of a paddle. The other option was to launch from Salt creek, but dont know if this is a hard beach launch or not.

Any thoughts on either launch location and the approximate distance to the point?
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
DPevin

Launch from baby beach in the back of the harbor for free, or launch from the boat launch by the wharf (not free but closer).

The paddle to the point is no problem. Routinely will paddle out there to fish the point and even beyond all the way to salt creek. Watch the wind and surf forecast as it can get kinda nasty sometimes.

Its just shy of 3 miles to the red buoy at the point from baby beach and you save yourself about half a mile if you launch from the boat ramp.

You don't want to launch from creek. And I'm not sure you are allowed to launch from doheny. I know you are not allowed to launch from capo.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

When I was researching to go out of that spot, I came across this post with a great deal of linked information.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...nt+coordinates

I’ve only been out there once, and it was late morning into the afternoon when the wind had picked up, but it was definitely a haul to get back from the buoy.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Launch at Baby Beach (free), the Embarcadero ($10 all day), or Doheny ($1 per hour, $15 all day). I prefer the Embarcadero launch ramps, it's close to the harbor entrance and bait barge, and is an easy launch. Some rules apply if you want to launch from Doheny.

https://www.ocregister.com/2010/06/0...d-up-paddlers/

THE RULES

Doheny State Beach: Paddle-assisted vessels are permitted to launch from the area known as “Thor’s Hammer,” which is next to the lifeguard headquarters, extending southeast to the park boundary at Capistrano County Beach. Launching is prohibited everywhere else along the beach, and paddlers must be 1,000 feet into the water from the high-water mark if north of Thor’s Hammer.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
paddlers must be 1,000 feet into the water from the high-water mark if north of Thor’s Hammer.

huh...........
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
jdvarnold

Thanks for all the info.

I think my plan is to pony up the $10 and launch at the boat dock early morning. Planning on trolling a rapala out to the point and then using live bait and hookups around that area.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Generally speaking the wind will come out of the NW 9 days out of 10 so if you can make it to the 'point' or near the red can, then you will get blown back to the harbor no problem so don't let a little afternoon wind deter you from going out.
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
MaskedFisherDude

Great info here. I’m also going to start fishing Dana a lot.
MaskedFisherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
PapaDave

I usually launch from the ramp, $10 is fair. It is close to the harbor entrance and usually not too busy.

I'm hoping to get out this Monday and possibly Tuesday if you want to meet. I usually head south but have been north as well.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
DPevin

I have never used the boat ramp. But I would be lying if I said I didn't wish I had every time im paddling back the whole length of the harbor to baby beach against the afternoon wind. Maybe one day.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
jdvarnold

I'll be out there Monday early early AM in a blue tandem Hobie if anyone wants to paddle out with us. Launching from the boat dock.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #12
Saba Slayer

BoB

Find some good Bass spots boys...

The Battle of the Bays will be there on July 14th...

www.battleofthebays.com

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
equyst
Banned

Great info here.thanks
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
Amish Ed

You might want to plan where you go based on wind forecasts. Particularly this time of year. You don't want to paddle against the wind coming back. So, fishing south might be a better option if the South wind is going to blow all day. Lots of reef to fish down there. They start at about where the state park ends and continue south off and on to the pier. Do a search for "barber pole" and there is a post where I give directions to the pipe. It fishes best with a light offshore. That way you drift along the Pipe instead of across it.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #15
DanaPT

Wind has been nasty out there last couple of days... of course a bit calmer near shore.

Good luck this weekend.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
jbl_91762

Please take everyone's advice on wind seriously. I got stuck in it cause I didnt pay attention to wind and took me over 2 hours paddling back. Have not been back since LMAO. But launch from boat ramp makes life easier.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote