Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
dapHBCM
Junior

Short Term Storage Realities

Hey All,

First off - thank you to everyone who has given me input over the past few weeks. (And to everyone in general for all the awesome info on this forum.) I picked up a used 2020 PA14 and am trying to control the urge to drain my bank account on accessories!

I know for long term storage there are a number of concerns and preferred ways to store, but I am trying to determine what is considered OK in the short term.

How long can I keep a PA strapped in the bed of my truck, sitting upright, with a bed extender?

How about sitting on a couple crossbars, but upright to work on attachments/mountings/wiring?

I have to assume a day or two would be OK in these situations (unless its crazy hot out). Obviously, there is going to be some variation - just trying to get a feel. Often times when the SO and I do longer trips we start loading up days ahead of time.

Thanks again everyone!
dapHBCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
Revoguys

Yea I would think a day or two would be fine. Look up on Hobie to see manufacturers recommended storing methods. I know long term I always stored mine upside down on a rack leveled.
Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
deptrai

Don't know the answer, but upside down is much better than right side up.

Page 32 of the manual. https://media.hobie.com/digital_asse...al_2019_v3.pdf
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Upside down in the bed of your truck on a bed extender... I'd think basically forever.

My tandem oasis lives upside down on two sawhorses, resting on the strongest part of the gunwales.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
dapHBCM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Upside down in the bed of your truck on a bed extender... I'd think basically forever.

My tandem oasis lives upside down on two sawhorses, resting on the strongest part of the gunwales.
Never thought of upside down in the truck - I store it upside down in my garage long term
Old 11-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Irrespective of rules, Mine have been stored right side up all the time. I put two sets of pool noodles under the recessed areas for added support during long idle periods. I have owned 3 PA14's over the last 6 years, live in hot SE Florida, and have yet to note any deformation that I believe will affect the performance of the kayak. During the spring when fishing is hot, The kayak lives on the bed of my Tacoma with the T-bar support. The kayak is never left strapped, except right before I head out for a trip. As soon as I arrive at the destination, unstrapping is the first order of business. Congrats on your new PA14!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
dapHBCM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I put two sets of pool noodles under the recessed areas for added support during long idle periods.
Thank you!

I’m assuming you mean you have two pool noodles running along the grooves (lengthwise), but otherwise it’s just sitting flat in the bed of the truck with the bed extender?
Old 11-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
Thank you!

I’m assuming you mean you have two pool noodles running along the grooves (lengthwise), but otherwise, it’s just sitting flat in the bed of the truck with the bed extender?
Yes, in the grooves for added support. To make the two noodle supports, I take a 3/4" x 10' PVC pipe, cut it into two 5ft lengths, and then thread 7ft of pool noodle onto each of the pipes. The pool noodle overhangs by a foot on either end of the pipe. The pipe adds rigidity and makes it easier to align the two lengths of pool noodle under the kayak in the grooves. If the kayak is sitting in the bed of the truck for a week or longer, I will also slip the noodles under the kayak on the truck with a bed extender. My truck is a long bed, and the noodle will start at the bed extender and lead onto the truck under the grooves of the kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noodle.jpg (57.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 11-26-2020 at 08:37 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote