Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
Ken Sauret
Junior

Lowrance received the feedback you have referenced about the missing map data around La Jolla late in the summer of 2011. This was after the requirements for the 2012 Nautic Insight product had been completed and so the updates could not be included in the 2012 product. They do have the requests and have a solution planned but unfortunately it wasn’t in time for the 2012 product. It's because of customers like you guys that Lowrance has the opportunity to fix issues that are discovered like this. They have told me they appreciate guys that are passionate about this sport and aren't afraid of giving quality feedback. Their customers are their eyes and ears out here. I, like you, am a customer but I happen to be fortunate to be on the Pro Staff too and I was working the Lowrance booth at the Fred Hall in Long Beach. It's the things we fishermen find on the water when we're doing what we love that helps Lowrance make their products so much better. Word from Lowrance is they will have a fix in 2013 product which will be available in January.

Billy V, if you would like to participate in the beta testing of the fix later this summer send me your information and I'll see if this would be possible.

Ken Sauret
Lowrance Pro Staff
email fishnwin@yahoo.com
Ken Sauret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Sauret View Post
Lowrance received the feedback you have referenced about the missing map data around La Jolla late in the summer of 2011. This was after the requirements for the 2012 Nautic Insight product had been completed and so the updates could not be included in the 2012 product. They do have the requests and have a solution planned but unfortunately it wasn’t in time for the 2012 product. It's because of customers like you guys that Lowrance has the opportunity to fix issues that are discovered like this. They have told me they appreciate guys that are passionate about this sport and aren't afraid of giving quality feedback. Their customers are their eyes and ears out here. I, like you, am a customer but I happen to be fortunate to be on the Pro Staff too and I was working the Lowrance booth at the Fred Hall in Long Beach. It's the things we fishermen find on the water when we're doing what we love that helps Lowrance make their products so much better. Word from Lowrance is they will have a fix in 2013 product which will be available in January.

Billy V, if you would like to participate in the beta testing of the fix later this summer send me your information and I'll see if this would be possible.

Ken Sauret
Lowrance Pro Staff
email fishnwin@yahoo.com
Thank You Ken.

Yes I would like to participate in the beta testing. I'll send you my info on e mail.
Thanks Again
Billy V
Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
RK

Hey Ken
Thats awesome that your taking a proactive approach which is greatly appreciated, but a lot of us have paid a substantial amount of money for an upgrade to a product that was misleading and falsely advertised, lets work on getting a patch for our guys now not a year from now.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Hey Ken
Thats awesome that your taking a proactive approach which is greatly appreciated, but a lot of us have paid a substantial amount of money for an upgrade to a product that was misleading and falsely advertised, lets work on getting a patch for our guys now not a year from now.
RK is absolutely right!

This issue that is not a recent development. It has been around for a long time. Why is it only being responded to with the current issue in the release of the 2nd Gen? It should have been resolved in the 2nd Gen.

The distribution of the Fish'n Chip (Band-Aid for the geographical error in the 1st Gen) should have led to a decision to fix the gaping hole in Southern California in the upcoming models. I spoke with Tito and Steve, Lowrance Reps for Southern California, and Steve was familiar with this problem when Billy V had brought up this problem in the 1st Gen. So why not fix it in the 2nd Gen?

I had heard that this was supposedly going to be fixed in the 2nd Gen until I was called by Billy V saying that it is not fixed. We were looking forward to this problem being resolved. A different approach should be made, addressing this issue for current users. How about heavily discounted Fish'n Chips?

Good machines that can be made better!

The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
Regor
Greg

Thanks for the response Ken (and thx to Billy for pushing this through).

How about - loaner Fish-n-chips for all till Lowrance gets the update complete.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
TCS

My opinion on this is...

I paid a premium for a charting application from Lowrance in my HDS Nautic Insight.
La Jolla is not some obscure remote location. Its one of the few places left to fish around here after the implementation of MLPA.

Customers have a right to expect Lowrance to fix this problem in a timely manner once they knew about it. It's been a couple of years. I do not buy the 'late 2011 explanation' I was talking to west marine about this over a year ago and it was not new to them.

I am happy for Billy V that he gets to test the beta next gen.
I DON'T HAVE NEXT GEN. MINE IS 1.5 YEARS OLD. WHAT ABOUT THAT?

No action because we haven't complained enough?
Is Lowrance really telling us that we have to bash their product to get a substantive response to this issue?

All I can say is - be careful what you wish for - bloodydecks, allcoast, hull truth, etc etc etc. You don't want a lot of hits on the internet for Xxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxxxxxxx.. Do you?

Do I sound pissed? Is that good for business?

I think I should be able to send my Nautic Insight back and get the basic GPS model and $100 cash back.

At the very least, don't make it look like you are just appeasing the one guy who has been the most vocal.

Please explain what you are doing for everyone.

Last edited by TCS; 04-02-2012 at 08:36 PM.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
RK

Tom you literally took the words out of my mouth dude!!!!!!!!!!!!I am 100% behind everything you just said!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #28
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Here is one step for everyone to address this issue:

Email this guy: mike.campbell@navico.com

MIKE CAMPBELL| SR. REGIONAL SALES MANAGER | NAVICO AMERICAS

Billy's already done it, as well as myself. Let's make our voice heard!

Part of the Vitale Movement for Better Electronics (VMBE).
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Is that good for business?
Tom, you are spot on, I too would be pretty pissed if I owned one. And it is certainly not good for business. I would like to buy a new ff/ gps combo in the near future and would have a very hard time justifying buying a product that costs that much money and still requires an additional expensive purchase to make it function properly. My money won't go to Lowrance until this is resolved that's for sure. I think Mike should probably know that they are losing new customers because of this problem. Thanks for his contact Kevin.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
Billy V

After having purchased a Fish-N-Chip on my own and using it for awhile, I will tell you that I would much prefer the Lowrance HD Nautic Insight Charting with its 3 D Shaded Contour.

Fish-N-Chip is only 2 D with no shaded relief. Black and White.
Yes, its is a detailed tool, but I would not forego updated Lowrance HDS 3D Cartography.

They both should be used together to get the entire picture of what is really below you.

I say this so you guys don't sell yourselves short by asking for a Fish-N-Chip, and Lowrance then deciding to take no further action on this matter.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #31
yani

I ready to put money up for a nice Lowerance system. However,
without the proper charting for La Jolla, I'm looking elsewhere.
I'm not waiting for Lowerance to finally fix this.

What are good alternatives?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #32
Caballito

Just emailed Mike Campbell
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #33
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post

I was ready to pull the trigger on an HDS5 this weekend maybe I need to do a little more research! The sales rep at WM never said a thing to me.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #34
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
I was ready to pull the trigger on an HDS5 this weekend maybe I need to do a little more research! The sales rep at WM never said a thing to me.
The sales rep (Ron the electronics Guy) at West Marine in Point Loma knows 100% about the missing cartography. He has known since the beginning.

He chose to say nothing to you because he is a Salesman.

Once you buy it, its your problem.
Omission is a lie in the eyes of the law.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post

My Furuno is a fine quality unit, perhaps the best in the world as far as professional marine electronics go. They are not cheap but have the absolute best customer service in the industry. Furuno is used fleet wide on every local and long range commercial fishing boat based out of San Diego.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #36
da22y

Fish-N-Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
After having purchased a Fish-N-Chip on my own and using it for awhile, I will tell you that I would much prefer the Lowrance HD Nautic Insight Charting with its 3 D Shaded Contour.

Agreed....
I have a Humminbird 597cidi with Fish-N-Chip, and I am not too happy about the b/w of it either.

When LOWRANCE fixed the coverage, I might change to HDS model too.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
RK

I don't really go on bloody decks but it's about time this thread gets added to that forum as well, obviously this is a better. Forum, however there's a ton of potential buyers on there that would love to be informed of this garbage.So billy or anyone on here that's into that site too lets get this going.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Agreed....
I have a Humminbird 597cidi with Fish-N-Chip, and I am not too happy about the b/w of it either.

When LOWRANCE fixed the coverage, I might change to HDS model too.
I appreciate you posting this information. The guys who own the current Lowrance units have probably never seen the fish n chip in their units and need to be made aware... Its not the end all, be all solution.

Lowrance HD 3D Cartography is the best overall picture you could read on a chart.
-Except that ALL of La Jolla is Missing - as well as the area of Cardiff Ca. to the Mexican Border and extending out 2 Miles from Shore. (about 40 continuous miles of the best fishing)

A Realistic View of the Area Missing - Its hard to believe.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#q=Cardiff-by-...=Tijuana%2C+BC
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #39
xpresso2am

I'm just waiting on the sidelines for this fix. I want an HDS 5, but with all the negative crap i've been reading I'll just wait it out! with money burning a hole in my pocket!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #40
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
The sales rep (Ron the electronics Guy) at West Marine in Point Loma knows 100% about the missing cartography. He has known since the beginning.

He chose to say nothing to you because he is a Salesman.

Once you buy it, its your problem.
Omission is a lie in the eyes of the law.
I bought a HDS5-gen 2 about a month ago at West Marine. I specifically asked if the up-dates and missing info had been corrected in the gen 2. I was told that everything had been fixed!!! Mine is still in the box and will be going back for a refund. Thanks Billy V
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote