Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Sounds fantastic. I have been there twice with Jose. The last time was with the crew of Stocked On Fishing.
I wish I could do it with kayak group, but a Montreal trip in September is cutting into fishing budget.
I am sure anybody who goes will have a great time no matter the catch rate. Flying from US and A/C are great features.

In closing I like to point out that it will be impossible to catch sheepshead in Pacific Ocean. They are found in Atlantic Ocean. However, sheephead (no “S”) are plenty around Cedros Island. I caught my limit each day with Tuna crabs as bait.

I wish the lucky anglers who go tight lines.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
roosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Sounds fantastic. I have been there twice with Jose. The last time was with the crew of Stocked On Fishing.
I wish I could do it with kayak group, but a Montreal trip in September is cutting into fishing budget.
I am sure anybody who goes will have a great time no matter the catch rate. Flying from US and A/C are great features.

In closing I like to point out that it will be impossible to catch sheepshead in Pacific Ocean. They are found in Atlantic Ocean. However, sheephead (no “S”) are plenty around Cedros Island. I caught my limit each day with Tuna crabs as bait.

I wish the lucky anglers who go tight lines.
Haha, thanks for the correction on the sheephead thing They definitely love mowing down the red crabs down there!
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
roosta

Here's one from a past trip, just sticking the red crabs on a jig head and dropping down. If a calico didn't nail it, usually a sheephead would.

roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Now that is what I call a sheephead.

I have heard the same mistake from "experts". It is common. Even in a booklet published for kids and a travel book for Baja!!

On a side note, I was on TV this Saturday. Two episodes of Stocked On Fishing.
It was July 23rd that I flew to the island.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Zed
BANNED

Until there is a coalition of fish protesting scorpionfish being called sculpin and croaker called seabass you can stick that S in your sheep shead and no one cares.

But the people that shoot edit and produce the show you mention would appreciate it if you call it by its title: Stoked On Fishing
Irony isn't lost.

Once the coalition sets America straight (20yr plan) it's on to Australia where they call fish wtf they want w no regard.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Dream destination! some day I will scrape up the time and the funds to check this trip off my bucket list!.........I'd be totally stocked.............and stoked.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Thank you for correction. Being a terrible speller myself, I rely heavily on word processor for spelling correction. It does not catch everything, like son and sun.

However, two wrongs do not make it right.

I respectfully (without any unnecessary profanity) submit that:

There is a reason that scientific community uses Semicossyphus pulcher
https://www.bing.com/search?q=semico...MUjp67&plvar=0

for sheephead (no “S”) and

Archosargus probatocephalus for sheepshead (with “S”)
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Archos...5ddd1ee1030460

Anglers are free to call fish what they want. It does not make it right.

Sorry for distracting from the original post.

All the best wishes for the anglers who are going.