Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
rastrev

I'm sure fishing has such a huge impact on Sea horses. Maybe they should focus on the real problem, like, I don't know, maybe POLLUTION...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
old_rookie

I hate it when I'm trying to make bait in the bay and keep pulling up those seahorses. One time I thought I was hooked on some weeds, ended up with a seahorse on the hook - what a pain.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Ed
Fringe Head

They should promote fishing and encourage harvest in the bay to reduce fish predation on juvenile seahorses and pipefish. Save the seahorse.....
Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Aquahunter
Crazy Deaf Cuban Redneck

It makes me sick to my stomach seeing these people closing off areas piece by piece that we work hard to put food on the table for our families. I have been supporting with the Spearboard and Bloodydecks against the closures of the MLPA. Sure we can protect the seahorses but fishing for them? We don't fish seahorses or use them for bait.
Aquahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
GregAndrew

It just goes to show exactly the tactics of the other side on the MLPA issue. They completely fabricate dire circumstances, that need immediate attention, to get the average Joe fired up enough to at least send a petition. I can't tell you how many times I talked to somebody, on the other side, at a MLPA meeting that argued points that don't still or never took place on our coast.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

So I'm guessing the new McDonalds Seahorse Sandwich is not going to happen?

Seriously, SD Bay is so polluted, it's testimony to the power of nature that anything can survive. I would never eat anything that came out of the bay and I would sure hate to see what the bottom looks like. If it wasn't for the daily tidal flushing, there probably wouldn't be anything alive in there. To overlook years of massive pollution and blame any kind of fishing for the decline of marine life is a joke.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Billy V

This was a Horse worth protecting.
- Secretariat -

Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastrev View Post
I'm sure fishing has such a huge impact on Sea horses. Maybe they should focus on the real problem, like, I don't know, maybe POLLUTION...
This, combined with over-development, is doing more damage then any recreational fishing. Most animals that have large numbers of offspring,such as fish, insects, and reptiles, cannot be detrimentally impacted by over collecting. As long as there is the right habitat for them to live in, then they can continue to survive and even increase in numbers. It is when this habitat is gone, such as paving over a field, filling in a stream, or draining a marsh, that the animals will quickly be eliminated.

Unfortunately, it is a lot easier to gain support for closing off an area that no one is going to build on versus trying to get people to stop polluting or to establish areas along the coast and inland to no new development.
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
cioppino

Seahorses in San Diego Bay, thats a good one! We should set up a table down at the bay selling protect the Seahorse shirts to the tourists. Have a little saltwater aquarium with a few little cute ones in it. Shoot the T-shirt table at the Childrens, oh I mean SEALS pool, nets them about four hundred K a year!

MLPAs, illegal immigration, overcrowding, overpriced real estate, overpriced food, overpriced gasoline, undrefunded and worst schools in the nation, over taxed citizens(soon to be even worse), overpolluted waters, overpolluted air........etc...etc....etc...

All this crap for a few wsb, yt, halibut, and some sunshine. OVER it!
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote