Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
LexLutheran
Lurker

CDM Kelp 7-14AM

Corona Del Mar Kelp from NPH south to the north end of Crystal Cove.
Conditions:
Air temp 66-72
Water temp 65
Swell 1-3ft
Wind light from south southwest
Put in nice and early in the harbor and made my way out to the south. At about 5:30 when I got to the kelp I found big Calicoes coming up through the thickest parts of the kelp mats and feeding right on top, very active. When I moved in close to have a look I found a lot of kelp crabs in the mats. It seems the bass were coming up to eat the crabs. I tossed swim jigs in brown and orange on top for nothing, and slugs in brown bait colors for nothing. I couldn't figure out how to get to them. They seemed 100% keyed in on the crab. I gave up after a while and went to squid and caught a couple of smaller calicoes. The swell wasn't bad, but there were some sleeper sets that rolled through that kept me from fishing as tight to the boilers as I normally like to. Some sun would have been nice as well. All in all a slow day. There was one bright point though. Unless there is some species of fish I've never heard of or seen that looks identical; I saw a small probably 24" yellowtail cruise about 2-3' away from my kayak. Along the outside edge of the kelp just south of arch rock. I was in 30 feet of water. I hope that is a sign of good things to come here locally and not a fluke. Has anyone heard reports of yellowtail this far north yet? I heard from a buddy that some are being caught off of Santa Rosa, but things have not been as good this year as I first hoped they would be.
-Kevin
LexLutheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I have heard of recent YT sightings off Salt Creek. They pop up outside of Crystal Cove this time of year.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Croaker Dave

?
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
The Freediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLutheran View Post
Corona Del Mar Kelp from NPH south to the north end of Crystal Cove.
Conditions:
Air temp 66-72
Water temp 65
Swell 1-3ft
Wind light from south southwest
Put in nice and early in the harbor and made my way out to the south. At about 5:30 when I got to the kelp I found big Calicoes coming up through the thickest parts of the kelp mats and feeding right on top, very active. When I moved in close to have a look I found a lot of kelp crabs in the mats. It seems the bass were coming up to eat the crabs. I tossed swim jigs in brown and orange on top for nothing, and slugs in brown bait colors for nothing. I couldn't figure out how to get to them. They seemed 100% keyed in on the crab. I gave up after a while and went to squid and caught a couple of smaller calicoes. The swell wasn't bad, but there were some sleeper sets that rolled through that kept me from fishing as tight to the boilers as I normally like to. Some sun would have been nice as well. All in all a slow day. There was one bright point though. Unless there is some species of fish I've never heard of or seen that looks identical; I saw a small probably 24" yellowtail cruise about 2-3' away from my kayak. Along the outside edge of the kelp just south of arch rock. I was in 30 feet of water. I hope that is a sign of good things to come here locally and not a fluke. Has anyone heard reports of yellowtail this far north yet? I heard from a buddy that some are being caught off of Santa Rosa, but things have not been as good this year as I first hoped they would be.
-Kevin
I know of a yt speared in that area recently. They can come though any time. You just never know.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
fishsouthcounty

Dana Wharf caught a little guy down at what looks to be around the Creek area based on the background.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote