Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
steveooo

La Jolla- A tropical Paradise

A tropical paradise during hurricane season.

The plan was perfect. We had 2 free tickets to Sea World, A $100 gift cert to Jade Restaurant, hotel reservations, and most importantly, I had the green light to fish on Sunday.

Sea World was cool. I love the tanks with the monster Ghosts and huge yellows. Kinda hard to get a good pic of them in the tank though. You all know what giant and look like anyways. Here are the only noteworthy pics of Sea World.

Barber Pole with no motor

Free Beer. Yeah baby, FREE BEER!

We checked into the Kings Inn before dinner. I feel bad for the SD locals that have never had a reason to stay in the Kings Inn in hotel circle. Luxury accommodations at their finest for sure. Any hotel that gives out granola bars and KY in the welcome bag is o.k. in my books.

To answer my own question, the Jade Theater Restaurant in Whales Vagina is out of business. With that in mind, I will cut someone a great deal on a $100 gift cert to Jade that I won in the Moyer tourney. I’ll part with it for only 50 bucks or trade for a nice used Kayak.

I was pretty excited that I was staying in SD and had a whole morning to fish on Sunday. Usually I leave my house at 2:45 am to get to the Shores at a decent hour. Too nice to set the alarm at 4:30, leisurely make my way to the launch, and still have time to spare. To all of you that don’t drive far to fish-

I have read a few other reports when people say they got to the launch and went back to bed due to the conditions. After reading those reports, I vowed that I would never be turned away from fishing due to conditions. Until today.

When I get to the launch, I knew it was game over. Even in the dark, all I could see was white caps. It was high tide and waves and nasty foam was pouring into the street. It was so windy, my truck was shaking.

I watched for a few minutes and started driving back to the hotel. Once I was at the hotel, I immediately drove back to the shores to make sure I was not being a pussy or anything. No improvement. I went back a third time in the light, and really got a good look at the mess out there.

Oh well. Maybe next time. Hopefully this is what LJ needed to get the lovely wintertime homeguard bite going.

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Dan

Thanks for getting the bite started! (pussy)

just kiddin steve...you'll get em next time.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

I was wondering where I dropped that bottle........nice try Steve!!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
yakrider

that's a bummer...
at least you got free beer
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Zed
BANNED

meow
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Yup, i was down there about 9:30 to clean the webcam and it was HOWLING. i had to hold my hat down walking down the street and it looked like the perfect storm at the launch....much worse than it looks in the pics.

where did THAT come from?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Oh come on Steve, Compared to OC this is timid! I saw the pics of Cortez Bank! This is nothing for you!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

Good meeting you this morning steve. I've learned that those weather reports have been wrong in the past. But not today! Maybe next time it will be that Tropical Paradise we dream about.
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
Dennis

Thanks for the reports Steve. The conditions looked pretty nasty.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
lamb

not too shabby of a weekend Steve, even without fishing
Old 11-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
steveooo

Geez. Hard times at BWE when a trip to an amusement park and pics of the ocean make the front page. I guess I'll take my ten minutes any way I can get 'em
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
mc08066

Sunday

Steve,
Went walking at Torrey Pines and that was an adventure. Just a wicked day from a wind/swells. It was so bad I didn't see one surfer the entire day and it was not from lack of good sized waves. Just no form to them. So many rogue waves who knows how many times you would have flipped. I think the over/under might be at 50 for 20 minutes. Plus the kayak probably would of moved faster in the wind then you could swim to catch up to it. Too bad you did not get out on Saturday, completely different story.
Jimmy
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
Handymansd
Ancient Member

It looks like the storm moved the swimming area a little. I don't thing that kayaks will be as big of a danger to swimmers in the new area; but cars may cause some small issues to swimmers now.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote