Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
roosta

Cedros Island Let's Go!!!

August 19-23 I'm hosting a kayak fishing trip down to Cedros Island with http://cedroskayakfishing.com. The trip is limited to 5 anglers, and there are 2 spots left. We'll get 4 full days of fishing from kayaks or the panga if anglers prefer and we'll be focusing on calicos, yellowtail and white seabass and one day on pelagics. There is often bi-catch of halibut, broomtail grouper, thresher shark, bonita, barracuda, sheepshead, etc. If someone really wants to focus in on a species we'll make it happen. The last week or so Jeff Mariani, the owner of cedroskayakfishing.com has been catching white seabass up to 61lbs on soft plastics and bass gear, sometimes sight casting to the fish.

Big yellowtail live at this island and its not uncommon to find fish in the 35-50 pound range that eat lures very well. We've had plenty of calicos over the 8 pound mark with some days producing plenty in the 4-6 pound range. There are some 10+ pounders that inhabit the island. If we get lucky, a broomtail from a kayak is always great fun and we've caught them up to 108 pounds... Honestly this is a trip of a lifetime and will be fun! Don't come on this trip if you don't like having fun Right now it's Howie Strech from Hobie, the famous Johnny Ceviche and me.

One really special thing we will do on this trip is a day out to Benitos island where we'll target wahoo from the kayaks first thing in the morning. We've hooked a few in past trips but haven't landed one on the kayaks yet. I feel like we have the wahoo fishing down now and we will stand a good chance of whacking them! At benitos we've also caught yellowfin tuna, dorado and of course plenty of yellows and calicos. Yellowfin and dorado can be caught right off of Cedros too...

We fly in to Cedros from Temecula, CA and home to Temecula so there is no driving over the border. The cost of the trip covers transport and airfare, 4 days of fishing, all meals and accommodation on the island (own room with air conditioning), all fishing on 2019 Hobie Outbacks and/or boats.

If you are a fun person who likes to fish and wants to have the opportunity at catching some awesome fish, please join us. Drinking some nice cold beers and eating great food at the end of the day is also part of the experience. The cost per person for everything is $2,600. If you divide that price up between everything that's included it's a relatively cheap way to have an experience of a lifetime. Of course I'll be there to help you and make sure you have the best chance at catching fish. The crew at Cedros Kayak Fishing put forth a first class effort. Please reach out to me if you'd like to take 1 or both spots. Email is best: Mpromnitz@hobie.com Check out the website for images of fish, meals and accommodations.

Cheers,

Morgan Promnitz
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Hydronaut

Send a message via Yahoo to Hydronaut
Cedros Kayak Fishing Bucket List Trip

This is a bucket list trip for sure.

I was just down there from the 5th to the 8th. We got to fish Punta Norte on the Outbacks. The Calico bite was on even with the chop and wind. I threw 8-9 inch Christmas tree colored "Viejos" plastics to some 5-6 lb chunky calico's. Jeff was throwing a shad colored plastic with great success. The 100 gram Flat Fall in sardine color was definitely working on the deeper stuff.

Great fishing, great food , and great crew.

If you have the time and funds, definitely contact Morgan to get on this trip.

Morgan, I wish I could go on this trip.

Tight lines.

Hydronaut
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
RK

Great Crew and pack leader have fun buddy!
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
roosta

Thanks Hydronaut! Sounds like you guys had a great time and I wish you could make it down there again with us too!

Someone just took one of the spots today so only 1 spot left...
Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Sounds fantastic. I have been there twice with Jose. The last time was with the crew of Stocked On Fishing.
I wish I could do it with kayak group, but a Montreal trip in September is cutting into fishing budget.
I am sure anybody who goes will have a great time no matter the catch rate. Flying from US and A/C are great features.

In closing I like to point out that it will be impossible to catch sheepshead in Pacific Ocean. They are found in Atlantic Ocean. However, sheephead (no “S”) are plenty around Cedros Island. I caught my limit each day with Tuna crabs as bait.

I wish the lucky anglers who go tight lines.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
roosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Sounds fantastic. I have been there twice with Jose. The last time was with the crew of Stocked On Fishing.
I wish I could do it with kayak group, but a Montreal trip in September is cutting into fishing budget.
I am sure anybody who goes will have a great time no matter the catch rate. Flying from US and A/C are great features.

In closing I like to point out that it will be impossible to catch sheepshead in Pacific Ocean. They are found in Atlantic Ocean. However, sheephead (no “S”) are plenty around Cedros Island. I caught my limit each day with Tuna crabs as bait.

I wish the lucky anglers who go tight lines.
Haha, thanks for the correction on the sheephead thing They definitely love mowing down the red crabs down there!
Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
roosta

Here's one from a past trip, just sticking the red crabs on a jig head and dropping down. If a calico didn't nail it, usually a sheephead would.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Mahigeer

Now that is what I call a sheephead.

I have heard the same mistake from "experts". It is common. Even in a booklet published for kids and a travel book for Baja!!

On a side note, I was on TV this Saturday. Two episodes of Stocked On Fishing.
It was July 23rd that I flew to the island.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #9
Zed
BANNED

Until there is a coalition of fish protesting scorpionfish being called sculpin and croaker called seabass you can stick that S in your sheep shead and no one cares.

But the people that shoot edit and produce the show you mention would appreciate it if you call it by its title: Stoked On Fishing
Irony isn't lost.

Once the coalition sets America straight (20yr plan) it's on to Australia where they call fish wtf they want w no regard.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Dream destination! some day I will scrape up the time and the funds to check this trip off my bucket list!.........I'd be totally stocked.............and stoked.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
Mahigeer

Thank you for correction. Being a terrible speller myself, I rely heavily on word processor for spelling correction. It does not catch everything, like son and sun.

However, two wrongs do not make it right.

I respectfully (without any unnecessary profanity) submit that:

There is a reason that scientific community uses Semicossyphus pulcher
https://www.bing.com/search?q=semico...MUjp67&plvar=0

for sheephead (no “S”) and

Archosargus probatocephalus for sheepshead (with “S”)
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Archos...5ddd1ee1030460

Anglers are free to call fish what they want. It does not make it right.

Sorry for distracting from the original post.

All the best wishes for the anglers who are going.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
Zed
BANNED

Just to bring this around with a bow, to quote a prof, "You can call anything what ever you want as long as you know what it is." Common names are varied. If you're in CA catching sheephead you aren't catching bream.

Which brings me to Archosargus probatocephalus being in the family (Sparidae) of sea bream, with other breams including Australian "Red snapper"--not a snapper. Our only "bream" in that family is Calamus brachysomus or pacific porgy which of the two I have ever caught one was at...wait for it...Cedros by yak. The other was from shore N of BdLA. Join the coalition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6883crop.jpg (160.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #13
Mahigeer

Nice fish there.

Aren't oceans of the world wonderful??

Cedros Island is a great place to fish. Now that the sportfishing boats cannot fish there, the available fish must be awesome.

I may go next year.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
Mahigeer

Stoked on fishing has been showing the Cedros Island trip a lot lately.

Boy do I wish I could go.

Comon lottery.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
rackhenry

I would like to go if spot is available. Emailed you last night but got out of office. Thanks
rackhenry is offline   Reply With Quote