Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
svendawg

Finally got my Avatar at LAS ENCANTADAS

LAS ENCANTADAS trip April 11th to April 19, 2014
I just finished watching FulRac's videos of the trip. I have to say the videos really bring these trips to life, much more so than pictures. But pictures are all I have.
I won’t go into the first days of the trip because the video summed up that portion of the tip pretty well.
I arrived Friday afternoon and didn’t get to fish until Monday afternoon due to the winds. On Monday morning the winds blew and it wasn’t until around 3:30 before the conditions were fish-able, so we decided to give it a shot.
I launched by Point Buffeo and peddled out to the point. When I rounded the corner of the point the conditions weren’t the best. The current was strong and the swell was higher than it has been in the past, and the wind was blowing a little, so I peddle on and started fishing an area just around the point that appeared to be a little protected and had calmer water. Finally, I was fishing and loving it.
I was in tight to the rocky coastline so I decided to throw a 2 oz. knock-off crocodile into the rocky shoreline figuring to target bass and maybe a Cabrillo. After a few minutes of casting I got a small hit on the crock so I set the hook and it felt like a small fish as I cranked it in. I wound it in a few yards and then the fish turned and my reel started screaming.
My line started peeling off like I have never seen before so I started peddling towards the fish a little to slow the run but that didn’t work. My line was still peeling off, so now I was in panic mode and started peddling like an Olympic cyclists towards the fish to try to recover some line.
This is where reality kicked in. The reel I was using was a Shimino Corsair CS 300A that I recently bought and a fishing tackle swap meet for $30.00. I intended to use it for my sibiki pole, but I liked the way it felt and started using it for bay bass fishing. My pole was a medium action ugly stick bass pole I normally use for flipping for large-mouth bass and I had 30# power pro braid. The eye on the tip of the pole had the plastic or glass insert broken out so it was just the metal ring. So now I thinking “you cheap bastard, your gonna lose this fish because your so cheap” and, “ why the *#*! weren’t you fishing with your heavy rig in the rod holder behind you?”
So now panic turns into stress as this fish, whatever it is, pulls me all over the place, first out to sea then back to shore, close to the rocks and back out into deeper water. The fish never surfaces so I don’t know what I have. Now I’m thinking “at least come up so I can see what you are before you break me off, so when I tell this story I will be able to say what I lost
I’m into this fight about 30 minutes, and still don’t know what I have but have managed to get most of my line back, then finally “color” and then I see the fish and I nearly s#** myself.
Now I’m in panic mode again, this fish is huge but I’m not sure if it’s a Totoaba or White Sea Bass so I can’t use my Kage or gaff to secure it. Now I have to try to slip the game clip into the gills on a fish that isn’t secured with a gaff. “Well there’s always a first time for everything”
The fish was pretty tired so it lay nicely next to my PA and I got the game clip in and secured without any issues. At this point I don’t know if I can keep this fish so get my tape measure out and I try to pull this beast up on to my lap. As I pull up on the game clip the game clip pulls apart and nearly straightens out. Now I’m thinking “you cheap bastard why didn’t you spend the extra money and get the good game clip”
The fish was too tried to take advantage of her opportunity to escape and I got the game clip secured again. I got her up on my lap and took a measurement with my 36” inch tape measure, “crap it’s not long enough so I had to measures it twice to get the length. Ok’ I’m thinking, you need to get a picture in case you have to release it”. This is where I remember that I left my camera in my car because I was just going out for a couple of hours so I properly won’t need it.
I start looking around for the other guys that were out fishing so I can get this fish identified and maybe get a picture. I see now that I had been pulled about a half mile away from the point where the other guys were so I put the fish back in the water and start the peddle to the nearest kayak. I meet up with Walrus and show him my fish and ask if it was a Totoaba or White Sea Bass.
Walrus confirmed it was a White Sea Bass, so I pulled her on the back of my PA and headed in. Boy was I flying high on the trip in, I finally got my Avatar photo.
The rest of the trip was uneventful, mostly catching big trigger fish, spotted bay bass, barracuda etc. No Cabrillo or Yellow tail. The fishing was good as far as numbers, I had days with 50+ bass 20+ trigger fish, mostly all released except for the big one that I kept for dinners or to give to the neighbor.
I know this was a long post but I thought it would be fun to share my thought process on those rare moments when I’m hooked up to a big fish. Maybe some of you can relate.
Lessons learned: Don’t be cheap with your gear. I beat the odds/murphy’s law, but it could have just as easily been different and it would have been because of low budget, cheap ass gear.
No matter how long you are going out for, bring your camera, you just never know. Remember if you don’t have a picture it didn’t happen.
I know it was frustrating on some of those days with the wind, but it was a blessing in disguise. Because we weren’t able to fish we sat around camp and got to know each other. It made for good comradery.

Too often I have fished with guys and never had a chance to get to know them. It’s usually meet, launch, fish, land, go home, with little words spoken
I want to thank Makobob and Robmoney for the opportunity to fish these waters and their hospitality.
I included photos of the crocodile I used. Check out the bent hook and stretched split ring. The fish gods were truly with me that day
Attached Images

svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
First weight read at 49lbs and 14 ounces over an hour after being caught. The TEAM SEWER table is 60" and the fish was 61" overall. What a great AVATAR, congratulations Sven!!!!! This was one of TWO caught. More to follow?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
jorluivil

That's awesome!

I can't wait to get down there.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
FISH11

That was not too long because it definetly told us just how you were feeling. I think we all would have been thinking the same things. Great story. Great pictures. It is amazing how close to not being able to make the catch it all was. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Lipripper92592

What a PIG!!!! And literally on garage sale gear....couldn't get any better than that.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Wow, that's awesome you landed her! They're such a beautiful fish, congrats!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Chuck D

BEAST! What a fish ,Sven, great catch and story to boot. I am glad you got that guy on the yak. I would have had Bobs totuva stories in my head too if that came up. congrats.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Great job Sven. From the looks of your tackle, there is no way you should have landed that fish. Beautiful biscuit and some great lessons learned. Was she spawned out? Did you check the stomach contents?
BTW, dualies on your kayak cart???? When are you adding another axle?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Awesome job Sven!! So jealous!!!!
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
OEX Sunset Beach

VERY nice WSB! sometimes that fish is just meant to be yours no matter what!
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

Holy crap....what a great story.........the crappy gear makes the story that much better!

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
tattuna

Awesome!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
salty pirate

That is awesome
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
octico

Awesome story ... glad I cracked open a beer before reading it. Story very well told! Congrats! Still waiting on my avatar.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
steveooo

Awesome!

Very impressive fish. 61" is definitely the longest I've ever seen taken from a yak. Congrats
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
janines.fishtales@cox.net

beautiful Sven...

What a great story and the fish of a LIFETIME! I really want to go down there. Good job Sven. Goes to show you, you can spend $$$ on gear, but it's what's behind the rod that counts...That and a little luck!

Janine
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Man that crocodile should not have held! Nice luck you had along with a good story. Some of those things go through my head too when I have something big on the line. Congrats on the new avatar!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
JeffB

That thing is a freaking pig! Very nicely done!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #19
Deamon

Give me my beer back...! Great story Sven! Couldn't happen to a better guy, well done! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #20
blitzburgh

Great story! Better Tanker!!