Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Drake

Thumbs up WTB: Bigger Cooler

26#

This ole' lady weighed in a very healthy 57.2#

Well, sorry for the late post but I hope everyone had a healthy happy 4th weekend. There's just something about being one of three kayakers who were willing to make a very, very, very long paddle in less than optimal conditions, four nights in a row in search of some good grade fish. Over a combined 50 hours spent on the water with a tallied 43.8 miles (on the GPS Odometer) has it rewards, although some may call us crazy, and I'm sure some already have.

The bite got very popular very fast, to the point where it became a hazard for us kayakers at night. When Jim, Danny and I first started fishing this bite we were pretty much the only vessels out there. It took less than a week for it to becomes a complete madhouse.
Even with nav lights, boats pay very little attention to what's ahead of them at night and it really was unsafe for kayaks to be out there.

Factor in the possibility that on a night bite like this...most guys will anchor up, throw their squid lights over and waste no time cracking open a few cold beers.

Not only was being run over a safety issue, but for a lonely kayak to be in the midsts of 40+ boats every night with fly lines running every which way, you are kind of a nuisance in their eyes. Everyone competes for a prime piece of real-estate and will have no problem bullying a kayak out of a spot. More than once, anchors were tossed over the bow of my kayak like warning shots.

I was threatened to be gaffed at one point, even though I was there 4 hours before this "total local brah" got there and wanted my spot. Jim had a similar run in with the same people...

After being bullied out, I had to move about 50 yards away from them. It was an absolute pleasure watching the expressions on their face every time my clicker started screaming. I couldn't help but look over my shoulder with a smug smirk, with a slight head bow thanking them for forcing me off my spot.

Last edited by Drake; 07-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Congrats! You put in the time and you reap the rewards, as it should be!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Dannowar

Absolutely epic week. So stoked for your trophies. You and Jim are absolute madmen!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Good for you, nice haul, and a great toad white.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

you cant catch yellows, on a yak, with an Abu... especially a level wind!

i call BS!

nice haul!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
you cant catch yellows, on a yak, with an Abu... especially a level wind!

i call BS!

nice haul!
You know, everyone always gives me a hard time for using level winds, but I have never had a problem

I fish with the thumb on the spool because I prefer to use human drag rather than rely on the mechanisms of the reel to work properly so the level wind makes it one less thing to worry about.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
You know, everyone always gives me a hard time for using level winds, but I have never had a problem

I fish with the thumb on the spool because I prefer to use human drag than rely on the mechanisms of the reel to work properly so the level wind makes it one less thing to worry about.
I'm glad you had good fishing! Your story of poor sportsman etiquette, however, makes me want to start packin' out there! It would help subdue wiry fish, too.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Way to go Neil!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

I heard from some boaters that there was some son of a gun kayaker out there stealing their fish and being a complete dick.

Way to go Neil! Now kayakers will have a bad reputation out there. Remember...big boats get big fish...little boats get bigger fish.

Congrats.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

As far as the lack of etiquette by the PBers, when it comes to the threats you received getting their CF number and reporting them may benefit us all in the future. Of course that is easier said, than done. Getting close enough to read their CF#, especially in the dark, with jackasses like that, might bring on even more threats and dangers, and more trouble than it's worth. Of course if you can see it from where you were, when they were close by, then it's probably worth doing.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
As far as the lack of etiquette by the PBers, when it comes to the threats you received getting their CF number and reporting them may benefit us all in the future. Of course that is easier said, than done. Getting close enough to read their CF#, especially in the dark, with jackasses like that, might bring on even more threats and dangers, and more trouble than it's worth. Of course if you can see it from where you were, when they were close by, then it's probably worth doing.
Well after many many threats, I made it clear to the boaters that I'm a Petty Officer in the Coast Guard, and I was doing them a favor by not calling it in. We are all here for the same reason, and it would be nice if we could all just co-exist. After I showed them my I.D. because they didn't believe me, they stopped all their shit talking and we both went about out business.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
bigbarrels

Nice fish x 2 Neil
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
What size cooler is the big one you have in the pic (a 150-75)?
Does anyone make anything bigger???: confused:
Sorry to hear about your run-in with the PB'ers. That's why I'm considering mounting running lights on my kayak.
There's nothing like the sweet sense of satisfaction with a full cooler of 'BIG' fish while they're strokin' it. LMAO!!! It's even more fun when they have the balls to ask you how big they are and what you caught them on...(I usually tell them the fish were "BIG" and caught them on "bait"!) if they weren't observant enough to notice the Fly rods! "HERE's your sign"!!!
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-19-2013 at 03:59 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
dmrides

Nice fish Neil. You might want to look into one of those refrigerated seafood trucks!
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
Hondatom

Big Boats get the right away as long as I am on the water. Even if they are duche bags, getting run over or flipped way out there you are at an extream disadvantage. Be courteous, be humble, get their CF numbers and fist phuk them at the dock. DON'T GET DEAD on the water.

That being said, good for you and the awesome haul.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Deamon

I've never been around someone with such a high catch rate of quality fish per trip. You are a fish magnet...Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
toadstoadsonly

Congrats on the hard work paying off, I was definitely a zoo out there. I was on my buddies boat and saw a few yakers out there in the dark a few weeks back and it was very hard to see you guys and I agree it does seem a little dangerous for a yaker out there with all of the boats mooring around in the dark. Looks like braving the danger and all the hard work paid off for you .
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
blitzburgh

Nice work! Even better to keep your cool!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

catching big fish = awesome

catching big fish in front of the douche bags who kicked you off a spot = OMFG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
undrH2Ohntr

Sweet..........nice job putting in the work.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote