Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
If you got the time to give back......

Truly a rewarding experience......The ocean restoration program....
Feed the fish and clean the tank.....volunteers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .facebook_1418988569545.jpg (40.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg .facebook_1418988588983.jpg (40.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_283543396440562.jpg (59.9 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg .facebook_1418988536017.jpg (44.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 12-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
ship 4 brains

how do you get involved?
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

WSB

The WSB project has about 12 growout facilities along the So. Cal. coast. Each facility is run by a group of volunteers. Most growouts have a manager that schedules the cleaning and feeding. In Redondo we have a guy named Rich Ford that runs the program and he has day managers that schedule their volunteers for each day of the week. In Redondo you end up working usually only one day a month to clean and feed the fish since we have at least 4 volunteers for each day of the week. We also need extra help when we receive or release fish. The public is usually invited to the releases...it is so rewarding to see those little fellas swim away after caring for them for months! Our Redondo facility is the only one other than Hubbs at Carlsbad that has above ground tanks for raising our fish. All the other facilities are in-the-water nets and pens.

Ship 4 Brains...please let me know where you live and I'll pass the nearest Program Director's contact info off to you.

The CCA CAL is teaming up with the WSB project and along with Hubbs are looking at additional species to add to the replenishment program...we received a $900,000.00 grant from a doner, to use for the research of this new species.
The DFW has a list of prefered species and Yellowtail, Bass and Halibut are on that list...I'm personally leaning towards Halibut as much science has already been done and it's a species that will stick around the coast as opposed to Yellowtail...with the ban of the gill nets the species has started to rebound but a kick start wouldn't hurt their numbers...and it's amazing how many anglers have yet to catch their first legal Halibut!

Another way to help is to turn in your WSB heads to be scanned for implanted tags...United Anglers had freezers at each landing back in the day and helped transfer the heads to Hubbs...CCA wants to get the program back up to the high standards that UA had set in the past.

I know there are some haters that don't believe in the project...but those of us that raise those little baby WSB are passionate about the program and believe in the good it is doing for the species!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

San Diego Ocean Foundation.

Volunteer@sdof.org (619)523-1903
Old 12-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

WSB

Old 12-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I know there are some haters that don't believe in the project...but those of us that raise those little baby WSB are passionate about the program and believe in the good it is doing for the species! ]
Jim-man...You previously...blindly...called me out on donating heads (of which I have in the past) and now I'm assuming you're calling me a hater because I've questioned the real succes of this program.
Fill in some blanks for me please:
Do you pound on the commercial industry to turn in their heads or do you only go after kayakers who rarely catch wsb?
Have you sent out the same request on Bloody Decks because I don't ever recall reading it.
Do you have any passion about reducing the commercial sales of our dwindling ocean resources to Asia or will breeding programs offset that?
I'd rather take $900k and fight the raping and pillaging by the commercial industry ESPECIALLY IF IT'S ALL BEING SOLD TO ASIA.
Kayak fisherman are not the problem.
I am a member of CCA. Why not call out those who have not yet joined?
You throwing stones at a CCA kayak dude...not cool. I'm just saying.

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 12-25-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Merry Christmas

Take it easy killer...no one is calling you out...!
Sorry if you took it so personally !
If you want to talk about the resource being sent to Asia...lets talk about Spiny Lobster.
The guys at Hubbs have a great relationship with the commercial guys and from what they said...many commercial fish are scanned...not all...but it's a cash strapped program like all good fish science.
And what's that about $900...?
You have my phone number...I sent a merry Christmas photo to you a few days ago...please call me rather than discuss this on the board...too much negativity for me !
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 12-25-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
ship 4 brains

Unfortunately you have to catch a WSB to turn in the head. There is the problem.

PM sent Saba.
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Funny how the white seabass

Made a big recovery right as kayak fishing gained popularity as if it was planned. I had two boats excluding my dad's boat and we never fished them in the 70s 80s and 90s I heard of a few guys fishing them but not much talk back then of course I didn't get my first computer till around 2000 either.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
stoned-trout

thanks for all you guys do ...I have no opinion on whether its helping or we are just producing more to be shipped elsewhere ..but atleast you are doing something...its good to know you folks are out there trying to make a difference.....trout
stoned-trout is offline   Reply With Quote