Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Johnny Bluefish
Junior

Monday Yard Sell

Well I'll start at the beginning. Meet Patrick at the launch at 0630 half hour late got ready realized I left my tackle tray at home. Launched anyway not bad a little ruff made bait easy on to fishing. About two hours in lost peddle drive pulled it out some 40# test for temp repair. Yellows showed up dropped yo yo down second drop on the way up yellow on seal thought it was a easy meal 15 minutes later he finally broke me off, not without showing off my fish as he eat. Decided to call it a day headed in got to about where the sail boat was anchored when my rudder control cable broke turning left into a swell happen fast over I went next thing I knew I heard my auto inflate going off up to the surface I came under my yak cleared my yak turned it right side up got back on it before I got organized next swell rolled me again lost my VHF on that on as I had just unzipped the pocket I keep it in. Got my yak right side up this time I was starting to cramp up pulled out a pen flair gun I have one miss fired three up good Lifeguards to the rescue got back on top as they got to me stripped off my waders got towed in. I don't always wear my PFD but with the swell I did. DONT GET CAUGHT DEAD WITHOUT IT. I will always wear mine I don't want to be at the bottom with my gear, wife and daughter agree. Well hope my lesson helps you to be safe. Will be back out after I can make the money for repairs and replacement gear. STAY SAFE MY FRIENDS
Johnny Bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Caseym

Glad youre alright. Takes a man to swallow his pride, admit he needed and benefitted from help, then take the time to inform us all of his personal misfortune for our own safety! Glad u took the time for the community, without a doubt youre owed some gratitude...the yellow kind of course!!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
FISH11

Glad you are OK. As mentioned Thanks for manning up and telling your story, it might help someone else who thinks, it can't happen to them. It is best to be prepared for the worst. One thing I don't think most people practice is getting back in their Yak while wearing all their gear. It makes a difference and can save your life. Thanks for sharing. Better luck on your next trip. It was a real washing machine out there on Monday. I usually stay out 7 to 11 hours and on Monday I started back in at 12:20pm, way early.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
iethinker

Thank You Johnny Bluefish!

I appreciate members being humble enough to share some of their more unfortunate moments. Its valuable and important to share critical information regarding kayak safety and lessons learned. These things can happen to any one of us. Now for sharing information about bait, terminal-tackle and fishing spots...that will remain a debate!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Sounds like an adventure....

Good on you, for man'n up to tell us your "I almost died story"....
Glad you made it back OK.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
momo fish

Glad your ok and quick thinking made things a lot safer on your part...

And look on the bright side, you made it to the " I almost died kayaking" club...
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
ceviche eater

glad your ok
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

That stinks, wear your PFD always, good advice. What yak is it, a PA?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
King Saba

A trip is never complete without going over. Glad your safe.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #10
Johnny Bluefish
Junior

Outback
Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
silentsmell

I've never considered the use of flares on a kayak. Thanks for the reality check. Very helpful report, especially before summer when we get a surge of guys braving the waters.
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Glad you made it out OK, it could have ended much much worse. This is a great testament to why one should always always wear your life jacket. Unexpected things can happen and you don't always have time to grab the pfd and put it on.
Thanks for sharing your story!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
bigbarrels

Glad you and Patrick made it off the water in the nasty weather with mechanical issues. Way to go on putting out a safety reminder for everyone. PFD's, VHF, waterproof phone case, sump pump, whistle, compass/gps, flare
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
Raskal311

Glad you are ok and are able to share. Question can a flare gun get water logged? Can they be used if they get dunked?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
TJones

You might as well have been fishing Monkey Land

Any fish landed? . I've done many bone head things on the water . Sometimes the elements can surprise us , much less kick us in the behind . I usually wait a year or two before I post them . Thanks for sharing your experience . What a nightmare . Your family is grateful you are alive . One manufacturer of self inflating vests has more water protection on the capsule . The pill needs to be submerged for a certain duration , as opposed to contact with water . This prevents less misfires . If you are a stong swimmer ,one option might be to make the vest a manual fire . Possibly carrying a second vest during launchings and landings . Glad you are well.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
TJones

ORAAAAHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Glad your ok and quick thinking made things a lot safer on your part...

And look on the bright side, you made it to the " I almost died kayaking" club...
It takes balls to step onto those yellow footprints , and balls is all it takes . When you have a near miss , such as this one . You will never forget it .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
Johnny Bluefish
Junior

The pen flair gun I use is seal in a vacuum bag with a notch added for easy of opening once out it still fires even when wet.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #18
undrH2Ohntr

Shows how quickly things can go sideways, I'm glad you are OK.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote