Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
CR Yaker

Today in Costa Rica Pacific

Got caught out a ways looking for Dorado by a big thunderstorm with only an hour and a half left before dark. Couldn't tell what direction was what. That compass on my wrist saved me alot of possible grief. Managed to bring in this 11lb Needlefish before the storm. Pura Vida !!

Oh, on a side note, be careful with these fish, they can be unpredictable. Another Kayaker I know down here hooked one the other day. It came right to the boat, no line tension, then jumped out of the water and hit him in the head. No problem from the impact, but the fish imbedded the lure through his cap into his head. Luckily the fish fell off quickly but the lure stayed. Had to push the treble hook thru to get it out.
Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 06-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
momo fish

wow.. Can't even imagine the pain, or the look on his face 2 seconds before the impact..

nice fish
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
JeffB

Yea screw that! I know the feeling.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
CobraTandem

Sounds like you were at the edge of potential disaster. Those types of experiences can give you a different perspective on life.
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
YakMedic

Pura Vida.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
lamb

Very cool Mark - thanks for CR report.

Those big needle fish have some nasty teeth - they were sawing off 60# leader like it's nothing.

Where are you, what part of Costa Rica?
I have Costa Rica trip lined up for some fishing in July
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraTandem View Post
Sounds like you were at the edge of potential disaster. Those types of experiences can give you a different perspective on life.
I like living on the edge and fully prepared to pay the price, but not without a fight. My Hobie Revolution I trust in any waters, solid kayak. The thunder and lightning make me the most nervous down here this this time of year. Rain, no problem, I love it, fantastic to fish in, in these warm waters. Wind is usually not an issue but it doesn't take much over the Big Blue to get things a stirring.

There's something quite peaceful in a storm over the ocean, I enjoy it greatly.

Last edited by CR Yaker; 06-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Very cool Mark - thanks for CR report.

Those big needle fish have some nasty teeth - they were sawing off 60# leader like it's nothing.

Where are you, what part of Costa Rica?
I have Costa Rica trip lined up for some fishing in July
I'm in Jaco, near Los Suenos. Nothing like a big surf launch or worse landing. Definitely makes kayak fishing an oddity in these parts.
Let me know if your going to be in these parts. July is a great month for fishing, we get our mini dry season for 2 to 3 weeks here in Central Pacific. Are you kayak fishing?
Come October thru December I plan to try for some bigger game like Marlin/Wahoo/YT. These fish move in to these parts the closest of anytime of the year, about 10 to 15 miles out front. Can be done with a yak.
I use 80lb fluoro for my top shot and have yet to have one of those Needlefish saw thru one, amazingly I seem to always hook them in the snout while trolling. But they sure have chewed up the fluoro by the end of the day.

Last edited by CR Yaker; 06-13-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

I was in CR last month (Playa Conchal) and would of loved to yak fish. The Westin resort had yaks availiable but they had no seat backs. Talk about uncomfortable.

I ended up jumping on a skiff with 3 others and within a mile of the beach we got small Black Tuna, YT Jack's, and Sierra Mackeral.

Next time i go i will definitely pack some tackle and a seat back with rod holders.
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote