Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Mickey & Mallory

La Jolla 7-02-06

Got up at 4AM... Told my girl I would take her fishing in the bay, but with the recent yellowtail, and cuda action, I though La Jolla would be a better choice. Decent surf this morning. Saw a window, and slingshot her through, told to not stop paddling, no matter what, she got out dry. I, however took one to the face. Calm, glassy conditions this morning.

Made all the bait I needed at the yellow buoy... Pinned a Spanish on FishnTrish's hook, had her paddle, while I held the bait, about 50ft, dropped it in the water. I gave her these instructions, if you hear your clicker ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, pick up your rod, put it in gear, and start reeling.

We started to work the area, and I heard Trevor say he was on, and Brad too, starting paddling, looked back.... :shock:

Immiately paddled over to her, it was the funniest thing I have seen, she said "I did just what you said!" I could tell she was getting worked, but with a little coaching, I saw the YT color, and said, "YOU GOT A YELLOWTAIL!" She was stoked, it made a pass at my kayak, and I gave it the gaff.

Wind started to pick up, and the swell... So we drifted in towards shore, the conditions pretty much chased off most of the group, but most had tails... I had some smashed heads, missed some good bites, but my main goal was to put Trish on some fish, at least Cuda. Looks like we hit a homerun!

On the way in, I told her, "I'll see you on shore," If you catch a wave, LEAN BACK" She had no equipment... The end result a nice wave... Video coming soon!! :lol:

Looks like we are having good eats tonight!

Chris
Old 07-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Congratulations, Trish (Mallory) on getting a kayak yellowtail. Looks like you were getting a nice tow job from that thing. Way to go, Chris, it's always fun putting people onto fish.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Dennis

Looks nice out there. Congrats on the fish. Definately be some good eats.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Mickey & Mallory

Thanks all, had lots of fun! Here is the video... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trish in the Surf, Click here
Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
madscientist

Great morning and great job by Trish (and her guide). I hope you watched carefully Chris, to see how it's done. :P

Lambcrew woke us all up early with a healthy "BAAAHHHHHH!", then the window of opportunity opened. Saw one pulled and one lost at gaff, listened to a few more "BAAAAHHH"s and kept catching calicos. Finally the clicker went off with some urgency and a little while later, this was the result...

15.5# spawning male.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
latrell24

sweet fish, To me its always feels better to help someone you care about hook up and just watch the joy radiate. that smile tells it all.
latrell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey & Mallory
Thanks all, had lots of fun! Here is the video... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trish in the Surf, Click here
Congrats on the YT...Chris, that video was just wrong...you ain't gettin' none tonight :shock:

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
ski

Way to go Trish You'll never forget your first tail!
Congrats to you too Chris, for being such a good guide. You will never forget that fish either
Mark
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
megustafish5

brad how do you tell the difference between male and female and if they are spawning or not?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by megustafish5
brad how do you tell the difference between male and female and if they are spawning or not?
If they spooge all over the deck they're males getting ready to spawn. If they are loaded with well developed eggs they are female preparing to spawn.