Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

6/28 La Jolla AM

Launched at first light, no one around. Hit the pier for plenty of spanish and a couple sardines, but no green ones. Beautiful morning, all the way through, but just before sunrise was as good as it gets.

I made it over to the point after paddling through scattered sardines everywhere. Thought with the water still cold and green that I'd try again for halibut or a deep WSB. got a big calico on one of my spanish and had another halibut let go of my sardine. Ran into Adi a little before 7 and yelled over to him around 7:15 "BOILS!!!" I paddled hard at a bird pile with sardines flying out of the water and nice big throws of water. Sank out before I could take a shot...Back to halibut fishing. Around 8:30, a small meatball pops up with what looked like a few YT on it. Only 20 yards away, but over my right shoulder. Spun the kayak and they were done, threw a few times anyway por nada. About 9:15- 10:00 it went wide open on all ya don't want barely cudas. All of em around 24" Terns and acrobatics. Multiple bumps everycast with 10 followers. I think the bubble of cool water is about to pop Good enough sign out there to make me want to go again tomorrow morning
Old 06-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I think the bubble of cool water is about to pop
Yuuuuuuuuuup!

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.p...eas=wtmp&uom=E
Old 06-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
madscientist

Looked beautiful this morning, glad someone was out enjoying it. Hope it stays that way for my PM ghost hunt. Gonna fish into deep darkness, haven't done that in a while.

P.S. Andy, I really wish you would catch a big halibut so I don't have to try.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Kevin

Nice chart there, Andy. Might have to get out to LJ during the 4 day holiday (if the surf sucks). Been since September of last year since I've fished there.

Kevin

aka yak slam
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
skiffman

bursting bubble

Andy, I fished point loma this morning and it was the same scenario. Pockets of 69 degree water mixed with 64-65 stuff. Good bass bite and small cudas. Had one good shot at a big Yellowtail boiling under a bird, he looked at my Tady and swam away. This water recovered very fast. Manana could be the day. Don't forget your circle hooks!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
lamb

That boil you hollered was the only one I saw the whole day. I was reeling in tiny cuda as you yelled…

Alarm went of at 3:30am, but I just couldn’t… Managed to drag my ass out of bed around 5:30. Bait was super easy right at the can. Loaded bait tank in 3 drops - loads od spanish and 1 sardine, 1 tiny greenie that must have had a hard attack – passed away soon after.

You could feel the water getting warmer as the day went by. Went for a loooong paddle, all the way down south past the NW corner and back. All for 2 sandies, 2 calicos and 2 barries. Kept 2 turds for dinner.

Bait is all over. I first thought my fishfinder was freaking out – I was marking clouds the whole day. And it was for real - I didn’t drop my sabiki without snagging at least 2 or more spanish. It looks like the food has been served… Today was a bit early for the party, but I agree it may go off real soon.

On way back, I had the seal bump the bottom of my yak. :shock: I was paddling towards him, he sank and next thing I got bumped. That’s the 1st time that happened to me.

Landed at 2:00 PM.

Launch and landing were a piece of cake.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Dan

I can feel the tension........it's gonna go!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Afran
fishy

Great report. Thanks. Nice morning shot.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
vellocity

thanks for the report guys..
see you out there soon.
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Calcutta

Epic photo

frame that pic and hang it on the wall!
Calcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Razorback

Beautiful Photog there Andy -

I managed a quick mid day run and worked the inside for hits on cudas and calicos. This pig inhaled a 9" greenie:

Tossed her back and just as I looked up from the swim away a MOLA busted off the surface and flew right passed my nose. I thought the friggin thing was a tuna for minute - the way it was flying at me nose first. In a blink it was there and gone. Really exciting. Did any one else see it sunning on the surface? Spoke to a couple PB'r that saw YT schools in close and got heartbreak WSB loss near the corner.

Water sure feels fishy. Friday's reports should be interesting.

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote