Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
SaltwaterSoul23
Junior

LJ 7/6

So I brought a buddy that's not new to fishing in socal but pretty green as far as fishing from a kayak goes. So naturally it started out rough. Lots of baitfish jumping all over but had a rough time locating the macks. And of course as soon as I hook one my old bait reel siezes so I'm having to bring these macks in like I'm bringing in a trout from a fly rod. Which was extremely frustrating Bc he had a working reel and wasn't producing any. So I tell him to take a Mack out of my livewell and head out while I fish with his bait rod to make more. And of course when I get his bait rod I immediatly notice he is not using a weight... Problem corrected on the spot. I only made one other Mack and head out to join him. Shortly after the dogs rob us. So back to square one. With the weight he is able to make a couple fresh ones and we head out on the troll. Ten minutes later I'm hooked up to a YT that I fight for 20 minutes only to lose it to kelp. Really kicking myself in the ass for not having braid.. (I'm cheap) ( but not anymore) I got hooked up two more times but lost them both ( it was one of my lower points fishing) but my buddy was extremely frustrated that he did not get picked up at all. Towards the end of the trip I noticed he was trolling a dead mackerel and told him that you do not hook it through both lips for the fish cannot breathe. Well that explained a lot.. But all in all he says he will not go out again. ( he is use to owning his own boat) and I learned fishing solitary is sometimes a lot more peaceful. So it was a learning experience for both of us. But as far as as pertinent information goes rat yellows are in the kelp and the bruisers are cruising along the outsides looking for those horse mackerel we don't like. Tight-lines!
SaltwaterSoul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Caseym

Hey at least u tried to show him a good thing. Thanks for updated Intel as well.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
seascrambler
Junior

Braid actually SAVES money!
seascrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
taggermike

Fishing does not mean catching. So you need to enjoy both to really enjoy fishing. He didn't catch a fish so he's not going again. Hmm. No weight on a sibiki and trolling a dead bait, those are easily fixed errors. Maybe he should do some archive searches on this sight, get some basics down, and try it again. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Bad day of fishing, way better than me sitting here at work thinking of fishing! Fishing alone is sometimes better and more peaceful!
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

I agree. Just being out on the water is good enough for me and helps keep me sane.
Catching fish is a bonus.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Aww, he doesn't wanna go any more. One less person on the water to compete with. If you let one bad experience dictate what is good or fun, you would probably be stuck on the couch for the rest of your life. You can find me
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
carbonbass

just to let you know amazon has spools of braid that are not much more than the cost of mono.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

*But all in all he says he will not go out again*

He just doesn't have *It*.... It would have been easy for me to give up after my 1st trip kayak fishing. Glad I didn't.

Nice of you to take him out. That's what it is all about.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
FISH11

You tried, and if he doesn't want to try again then you won't have to hold his hand anymore. Don't worry you will make a lot of new Buddy's on this site and on the water who share your passion.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

If he woulda hooked a YT, he would have bought a kayak the next day. Fair weather fans.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote