Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
steveooo

Dana (F'n Furbags) Pt 3-15

Every once in a while i read a post similar to this, but it has never happened to me. I had just made the paddle to open water in Dana Pt and was throwing a big rapalla when out of nowhere comes this fugbag from hell. He came up from the bottom of my yak, rammed it the bottom to scare the s#@% out of me, and then he just went BALLISTIC on me for about 30 seconds!!! He was breaching the water and slamming his head into the top of my boat, snapping his teeth at me, he bit and took the rod that I was trying to fend him off with and then was doing his best to bite me!!! This SOB was CRAZY!!! After about 30 seconds of the attack he finally decided to bolt, must have been from the stream of profanity that I was defending myself with.
I could care less about the rod, I think the rapalla on it was the most expensive thing on it. But this seriously scared the heck out of me. I high-tailed it out of there as fast as I could, and every little breaking wave behind me scared the bejesus out of me because I thought he was coming back for more.
I was about 300 yds from a bouy where there were other dogs, do you think he was just getting territorial? Mating season? I know we always joke (and always practice) bout throwing irons at these beeyatches, but does anyone know of a "real" defense against furbags. Pepper spray maybe?
All I know is I never wanna see those canines snapping at me again.
I did wave goodbye to the varmits on the way back in though...

As for the conditions out there, pretty big swell coming out of the west in quick 3 second intervals. Current going the opposite direction of the swell, kinda weird. Saw some bird action way out but was still too sketched...
Keep safe out there, steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
MKNOTT

If you put your gaff in the water and move it in and out it usually makes them hall ass. They know gaffs. Even putting your rod tip in as far as you can reach and pulling it out several times will do the trick. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
sterling

You should seriously report the incident to the DFG or local news or someone. The poll takers that look like DFG have asked me if I was attacked by a dog during the day. I found it interesting they asked such a question. There is rabid debate about the danger those SOB's present down in LJ. If more attacks are reported maybe they would open season on them to help "cull" the herd. More likely some agency might build a floating dock somewhere for them or relocate them away from the beaches. Anything would be better than letting them take over. Did anyone hear about the boat that was sunk up in the LA area last year by the weight of a bunch of those bastards getting up on the guys boat. I'm sure he'd take a hunting permit.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Brad Wells
Junior

The report was on the news. Newport or HB, they sunk a sailboat. They have taken over the docks, big sea lions not letting people get to their boats. Feces sprayed everywhere. Hopefully a few polititians and tree huggers have their boats in that marina. Have you ever thought about how many fish those furballs at the childrens pool eat at roughly 40 pounds per day per seal. Maybe us Canucks have it right, club the little bastards before the can eat our fish. I say if you have to have a wife buy her fur!!!
Brad Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
tattuna

I had a similar experience last month in Redondo. There were 3 other kayakers attacked by furbags just a month prior to that in the same area. That last experience scared the shit outta me! I swore I was gonna get mauled. The dogs in Redondo have been getting increasingly aggresive. There's gotta be somethin we can do. I'll be goin back to Redondo tomorrow, but I'll be carrying some heavy duty protection, and I'm not gonna hesitate to use it. Coast Guard says we can do whatever it takes to fend the bastards off.
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Johnp

Last month fishing S.D. Bay I Had two swimming toward me they dove and i forgot about them untill one launched out of the water and over the back of my kayak. I decided to relocate.
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
rdahl

Just about every time I launch I take a couple of baseball sized rocks with me. Comes in handy when dogs are gettin too aggressive, and also when they get too curious about the fish you're fighting.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
madscientist

Wow...and I thought psychopup was bad. I've been training the next generation in LJ and it seems to be working. Last time one came by me I just reached for the jig stick and he took off. Sounds like the dana and redondo ones are too far gone, but in LJ, we need to all keep throwing irons at them every chance we get and maybe, just maybe, we can put some fear back in to the beady eyed little f$ckers.

Had another seal hone in on me while I was hoopin tonight. Funny, I never have problems with them except when hooping. Once the sun goes down they seem to think I'm a floating fish stand.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
are seal bombs legal to use from a yak? I have access if not, I'm gonna start carrying a spiked bat.
rippin lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
scwafish

In parts of the Columbia River where its gotten out of control, and you don't have any options, people have started using high-powered paint ball guns. Non-lethal, and the sea lions have figured out that they zing. You would look bizarre at the launch though!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
cabojohn
PROBATION

Sounds like a job for "Super Dusty"
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
Pat

Wow. A kayak paint ball tournament in La Jolla. That could be a new sport. How many furbags could you hit?

Bonus points for hitting the Madscientist too!

I'm in.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #13
madscientist

Unlike the dogs, I'll shoot back! Would be fun the next time the Dolphin buzzes us though.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote