Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
fknricter

nice door mat there bud!! great way to start the year!
fknricter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post

Fantastic Fish!

I love those big winter halibut. Most people think fishing's dead in the winter but I've seen more big halibut over thirty pounds caught in the winter especially in January then in any other time of the year.

I'm sure you know this but get back there and keep working that spot. If there is one there is more and though you might have to put it right on her head with this cold water keep at it and you may well get another one, or even her big sister.

Congrats on a great catch and thanks for the report.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
GBF

NICE FLATTY!!

GBF
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
roby
CEO of Team Roby

That is one thick buttttt...

I know this is played out and over used, but I don't care. Everyone is thinking it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug

Last edited by roby; 01-17-2011 at 06:07 PM.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Excellent fish Skally, but we are used to that from you.

If you don't mind sharing something, I have a question about gaffing a halibut. I have not yet caught a keeper, but this may be the year. I have read many stories about how this fish goes bonkers once gaffed.

You mentioned that you aimed for a belly shot with yours. Is that the way it is supposed to be done? I am curious as to why this is better than the head or some other part of the fish.

Please educate the rest of us.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #26
StinkyMatt

Nice fish, great photo! Fighting a monster like that with the giant waves rocking your boat all over the place, how did you do it? That water looks sweet. Congratulations
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #27
theluckypig

awesome butt! i too study the mrgregandrew technique and await the day i'll catch a fish of that quality... congrats!

Last edited by theluckypig; 01-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #28
lamb

Beautiful halibut Scally, very nice!!
Bob, I think belly is the best place to aim for. Info and good tips on this thread

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...t=land+halibut

Ah, big La Jolla halibut in the winter...

5 or so years ago (talking about how the time flies ), before these crazy squid runs, I remember awesome winter for big buts... I remember one day when 3 over 30 were snagged, Jasmin, Easton and John scored... Pretty much the same spot...

Majority of ours that winter were on iron/megabait.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Thanks Lamb. That was a great tutorial. Now all I have to learn how to do is catch one of these guys.

Skally, do you need a gofer to follow you around so he can learn how it is done?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
JoeBeck

That is a nice winter catch! Beautiful weekend to be fishing.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
kobra

Awesome flatty!!! Congrats on a really beautiful fish.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
-scallywag-
Banned

Thanks guys!

Yani, yes!! its a new PB!! it seems like it was right around this time last year when I was taking pics of you with a similar beast....so I'm sure we'll see a few more on that side of the pond this month.

Moyer, your right....more like a few thousand drops (and a worn out anti-reverse roller bearing) since the last real fish.

Bob, that link Adi posted is a good one....not sure why but if you keep the head underwater, and belly gaff'um they are pretty chill....having the game clip (or two) behind the seat and ready is a must. Once you start handling them out of the water is when godzilla attacks!!!

pingpang, yep, b/w mac pattern 6x.

And to answer a few PM’s, no I was not targeting halibut, 110-120' and yes I was occasionally metering a solid mark or two just off the bottom which is why I stayed in the area for HOURS. It's belly was full of squid/beaks. Here are some tips and techniques I use when fishing the iron on the squidbeds.

Always fish #40 mono and bring a few different irons....here are some of my favorites

6x sr. - sumo or salas.... the big daddy, b/w, b/w mac pattern, scrambled egg. I like fishing these bigger jigs when the squid is around for a couple reasons. They're size helps keep the macks/bottom critters from biting, you can retrieve them much faster without spinning, and the hooks are much better suited for big fish and #40mono (6xjr's hooks are a little weak). If you’re still having a problem snagging macks/bottom feeder/squid eggs try an iron with a Jhook. Also a sharp jerk or ten will usually release those pesky macs/eggs so you don’t have to reel it all the way back to the yak.

Sumo jr + C2 - For the smaller jigs I like the tady/sumo jigs...much stronger hooks, and the glow back seems to mimmic a flashing squid pretty well....the down fall is that if the macs are around they seem to hit these a lot more, also expensive.

I'm sure y’all are familiar with the drop and grind technique and how to make the iron "swim" instead of spin. This is pretty important when mimicking finbait and why the 6xjr shape is so popular (they swim well). When the squid are around I'm not overly concerned with swimming the iron....I want to get in to wherever the squirts are and mimic them, which is generally on the bottom.
Much like live bait, the longer your jig is in the zone, the better you're chances. On the squidbeds this means dropping down to the bottom and " swim it like a squid". I like to use much slower movements and pulse it up from the bottom, usually only a couple feet (half to one crank) then slowly move the rod tip up/down occasionally tapping or resting on the bottom. If you are occasionally snagging squid by the tentacals then your doing the right thing in the right place....even the squid think you jig's a squid!!! I will generally keep my jig down as long as possible until the current or wind get me to far from the jig. Once you get feel for when a squid hits your jig, you’re in business....hold the freshly snagged squid a couple feet off the bottom and let it flip out....imagine the squid hooked by a tentical, inking and squirt’in to get free...if there is a fish in the area, you will get hit!!. After a couple minutes I usually remove the squid and put it in the tank...I find the bare iron or a freshly snagged squid to be the most effective when targeting YT.
IMO nothing is more exciting then getting slammed by a YT while fishing the iron, and in my experience the iron is at least twice as effective as live bait, especially if you consider the amount of time the iron is in the water compared you’re bait. In fact the iron is so productive for some guys, that they consider having a bait out to be a liability, it just gets in the way WHEN you do hook up on the iron.

See ya on the water!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #33
chris138
donkey roper

Iron-y

So this guy scallywag gets back from vacation in Cabo, first day back fishing at home and snags this donkey on the iron. You got some nerve! Nice one jerry!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #34
mtnbykr2

uh oh....well that's what happens when it slows down out there
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #35
yakrider

well done!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #36
ratdog

Very nice Butt, and thanks for sharing your knowledge.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #37
thien

Great Job J! The butt matches the color of your hat. Match made in heaven.
Nice!
thien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #38
j mo

Good stuff ! I fished Monday had my choice of bait and pretty much no one else to fish with. It was like spring time out there if yah know what I mean...
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
Thanks guys!

And to answer a few PM’s, no I was not targeting halibut, 110-120' and yes I was

...snip...
See ya on the water!

Thanks for the lesson!!

One thing you didn't mention, but I can see in the pic, you were way out there - at least by my solo comfort level. The condo in the background is just a small block.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #40
TCS

Scally,

Thank you for the tips and congratulations on the cool fish. I do have one question though, why to you use an iron instead of a squid jig?

Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote