Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #1
Whiteboy

Fish cleaning station

Is there anywhere in sd (besides lakes) that have cleaning stations. My neighbors are about to kill me. No matter how clean I try to be my house still smells like yellowtail.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
PescadorPete

I use the one on the Shelter Island fishing pier when I come back in from power boating but it is a ways from LJ. There is a bar on the pier so you can drink and fillet. Pier fisherman will come up and say "Holy Smokes! Where did you catch that?". Oh you know, I caught it on the other end of the pier from where you are fishing. And then they all run down to that end and start fishing there .
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Whiteboy

Thumbs up

That's a great idea. And funny as hell. Thanks it's kinda out of my way but we'll worth it.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
PescadorPete

Crystal pier is closer. There might be one there.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Whiteboy

Don't think so but shelter is not that far out of my way. Is there one at lake murry?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
I use the one on the Shelter Island fishing pier when I come back in from power boating but it is a ways from LJ. There is a bar on the pier so you can drink and fillet. Pier fisherman will come up and say "Holy Smokes! Where did you catch that?". Oh you know, I caught it on the other end of the pier from where you are fishing. And then they all run down to that end and start fishing there .
Too funny. I cleaned a dozen yellowfin last year on the pier with the same comments. I was nicer than you, though, and told them I caught them surf fishing in OB.......not. Fish cleaning station is awesome. Even lit at nite. Totally clean and really a super place to clean fish. I am in Vista so does not work for me. Would like to hear from others who know of a place for us north county yakkers.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
taggermike

I cant think of a public station besides shelter island. There maybe one at the little pier off 24th street in national city. Cleaning fish at your house sucks. In your house is worse. Maybe dump the carcasses in a dumpster or trash can in a park that gets dumped every day. I made a cutting area way in the back of my yard with some ply wood, saw horses, and 2x4s. Works well and only the fillets enter the house. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
ctfphoto

Gut and gill them on the water. You'll still have the head and spine tho.

I dig a deep hole in the yard near a tree or use the dumpster only if it close to trash dumping day.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Murray

carcass in the freezer until trash day
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Crystal pier is closer. There might be one there.
There was one, but maybe shut down due to drought.

Also unless you stay there, you must leave the pier at dusk.

A portable small table or a cleaning station (table) from Cabela's or BPS as well as a bucket and rope can allow to clean fish at any pier.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
skrilla

If its the rotting carcass causing a stench try throwing the discards in a bucket. Then fill it with hot or boiling water to cook it, then throw it in the trash. No maggots, less flies, happier neighbors.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #12
PapaDave

I try to keep the carcasses in an ice chest (with ice) until trash day, seems to cut down on the smell and the flies a lot.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
summers in kuwait

I believe there is a fish cleaning station at the south boat ramp located near sea world. As mentioned, dig a hole and put em in the ground. Just dig deep enough so critters don't get to it, but its excellent fertilizer. Used to work at a nursery in Arcata, CA and after Salmon fishing my boss and I would place all remains near his prize winning trees. He swore by it.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
King Saba

Buy some fruit trees and use the guts and carcasses as fertilizer. It cuts down on trash to the land fill and all the stink from rotting fish. Win, win IMO.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I cut up the fish in the street at the front of my house. The carcass and other bigger items get tossed into a big trash bad. Then I take those to the dumpster behind one of my favorite Mexican restaurant. All the blood and little pieces get hosed down the gutter to the end of the street and into the storm drain. So far no one has complained so I keep doing it
Old 08-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I believe there is a fish cleaning station at the south boat ramp located near sea world. As mentioned, dig a hole and put em in the ground. Just dig deep enough so critters don't get to it, but its excellent fertilizer. Used to work at a nursery in Arcata, CA and after Salmon fishing my boss and I would place all remains near his prize winning trees. He swore by it.
It works real good to keep the plants healthy because it feeds the worms that poops to help nourish the fertilizer then help loosen the soil by making air pockets in the soil to make the plant breath and root better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Buy some fruit trees and use the guts and carcasses as fertilizer. It cuts down on trash to the land fill and all the stink from rotting fish. Win, win IMO.

Just don't put it too close to the window as the hot sun will still bake the soil and makes the smell unbearable when the wind thru.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #17
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Just don't put it too close to the window as the hot sun will still bake the soil and makes the smell unbearable when the wind thru.
lol done that. And keep your dog away from the spot you buried the guts at.

Last edited by King Saba; 08-17-2015 at 02:49 PM.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #18
tacmik

Old 08-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
haha.

Enough said.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Jimmyz123

Do all your cleaning and gutting, place the remains in a plastic trash bag and drive it to the closest public trash can. Some places have dumpsters that you can use, but if it's public, you can use it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote