Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
FISH11

Talking La Jolla 6-19-19

After a little thought, I decided to post this because I think that some might benefit and not make the same mistake. Yesterday I found it hard to make bait even though there was lots in areas. Towed a sabiki almost all day and used my other rod to throw lures and troll a rapala greenback. Only caught Calicos, Tree fish and various rock fish, all were released. All I wanted was some macs to flyline for Yellows. I even went south and into the heavy kelp, found some nice large pools without stringers and as I looked for bait. I see a 20-25lb WSB swim by about ten feet down. I had to look and stare because it was unexpected, same thing happen about 4 years ago and just like then I though this fish is just there to tease me. This time though I had a rod with a jig and I dropped it next to him. He didn't even look at it. I reeled it in and cast it ahead and reeled it in and it didn't even care. Frustrated I went back north and finally found some smelt that got on the sabiki hooks. Pinned on the largest about 11" and a short time later it gets hit while going over kelp in 57-65'. It starts the clicker and line going but not as fast as Yellows take off. I engage the drag on the Avet and the fun begins, it starts giving me a sleigh ride and then heads straight down and the drag is not slowing down. I tighten up the drag some more and start gaining line and cutting through kelp stringers. Seemed strange but I wasn't feeling the head shakes, just hard pulls and deep runs. I see a boat coming closer because he saw me getting towed and rod all bendo. They're checking out the action as they go by. As I managed to get it up closer after several hard straight down runs, it got to the leader because it wasn't cutting through the kelp anymore. I kept hard pressure but that was the problem, I should have given it more line again so the braid would be around the kelp and cut through the remaining stringers. The hard pulling and the 7' of 40lb flourocarbon leader was only putting the pressure on the leader and the hook with the fish against the stringers. Finally the line breaks and when I looked at the leader it had broken at the knot at the hook and there was a trace of rust from the ringed circle hook. That is the lesson that I learned a long time ago but had become lazy and the knot had not been re-tied in like 7 trips. I think I had just lost my first large WSB, damnnnnnnnnn..!. So I tell my story in hopes it helps others to always check the line, leader and replace the leader and re-tie the hooks more often. Tight Lines.
https://youtu.be/Mqql1qxgU54

Last edited by FISH11; 06-20-2019 at 09:24 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Buddhaa64

Mark,

Similar situation happened to me last year. Instead of letting the braid do the work, tried to put too much tension on the fish and snapped midway down the leader. Thank you for the reminder. Sorry you lost the fish man, you are due for a nice one.

Tight lines!

Anthony
Buddhaa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
FISH11

Thanks Anthony. I'm still trying for a nice one like you got. The water was a lot cleaner than the last two times last week. There is still too much bait and red crabs out there, making it harder for the big ones to get interested in what we are showing them, but it has been getting better. The water is over 65 and it just seems weird that the action is still sparse. Got to keep trying, every trip someone get some. It still feels like it's just being in the right place at the right time.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
h2ofishfo

Dam mark 7 trips whyyyyyy!!!!! It takes a second 🤦🏽X♂️. You woulda caught it in the revo just saying 😂
Old 06-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
GTboosted

Oh no. That's the worst feeling
Old 06-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Dam mark 7 trips whyyyyyy!!!!! It takes a second ����X♂️. You woulda caught it in the revo just saying ��
I know, I should have replaced the leader after a few trips and re-tie the knot at the hook each trip. That why I'm sharing because some don't know and other as myself get lazy. I'm using the Malibu X Factor to get my arms and shoulder some workout. See you out there soon, Gabe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Oh no. That's the worst feeling
I agree, Beto. The worst is not the knot and leader. They were working good. It was being inpatient and still pulling so hard when I knew that the fish had to be up against the remaining kelp stringers that had not been cut yet and thought, I could pull it out of the salad bowl. That was dumb.

Last edited by FISH11; 06-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote