Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the next WCW season start right away or should we take a break?
Yes, start it right after WCW 07 ends. 30 53.57%
No, take a break. 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

WCW Poll - next season start

Please help us shape up the next WCW season by casting your vote.

Speak your heart out - the poll is anonimous.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I take breaks every so often anyway. My WCW standing is evidence. Not that I woulda done any better if I hadn't though.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
madscientist

I've always like the idea of an off season. Just like spring means the return of baseball.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
dorado50

Lets keep this gig going. Some of us young guys lol are just beginning to get the hang of this game!! Also, I hear theres a new kayak fishing team forming in San Diego area, anyone hear about it yet?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Also, I hear theres a new kayak fishing team forming in San Diego area, anyone hear about it yet?

Is there a Team Mediocraty and where do I sign up?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Dan

either take a break or completely rework the format. No one has the attention span for year long. A series of monthly jackpots with official weigh-ins would be more interesting (to watch or participate in).

I'd rather opt in and out of putting my 6 or 7 days a month on the water against wavsters 20
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
wavster

I think we should have a team format, as well. I like the year long format,
but I also like the idea of monthly tourneys, also.

What about monthly jackpots for most points? That way one could
be in last place and have a great month and still win something. The
monthly raffles are too sporadic and inconsistent to keep any interest.

With a team and individual format, a team of three has better odds
of evening out the score. It adds more complexity to the contest,
but it'll help for those long dry spells when some people can't
hit the water.

I for one, like the year long format. It takes more commitment. This year
I've fished when I was sick, tired and just didn't feel like fishing in order
to try to get a submission. I'm only where I am in the standings due to
persisitence.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
Rusty

I think it would be cool to have the year long WCW and a separate monthly JP that anyone (WCW or not) can buy into. This way newbs and people with ever changing work schedules can actually have a shot at something when they have an opening at work, or finally start catching fish on the yak. Set-up a paypal account for it on BWE?

In December I thought about signing up for WCW, but once I realized there there were only 5 or 6 months left I opted out. If there were a monthly JP I would have been in on it. Some others may agree...?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
dorado50

monthly contest would be inconsistent because of weather conditions, especially big surf,therefore would be postponed,etc.. Yearlong has sure kept my attention! Now that I don't work much anymore i could fish at least 30 days a month...
Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
Louis Clarke II

Quote:
monthly contest would be inconsistent because of weather conditions, especially big surf,therefore would be postponed,etc.. Yearlong has sure kept my attention! Now that I don't work much anymore i could fish at least 30 days a month...

Not in February.
Louis Clarke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
GHOSTHUNTR

Take a little break, get fired up again.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Rusty

Quote:

I was thinking more of a month-long contest like a mini WCW that only lasts a month,... Not hosting a one day contest each month. For example, you buy in for the June Jack Pot at the end of May. For the month of June, whoever has the most points (YT, WSB, Buts / sizes) wins the JP from whoever bought in for the June Jack Pot... And so on for each month. That sounds fun to me. The instant gratification might get more people interested.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
FISHIONADO

I enjoyed WCW more back when the top guys were posting useful information on a more timely basis, I felt obligated to throw in my money to pay back for my education. And a year is too long for my attention span, I'll only join the day contests going forward. I'll still be a fan of WCW, these last months could be especially interesting this year.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
rastrev

From today:
Currently Active Users: 71 (13 members and 58 guests)

Maybe for next year, the WCW forum should be available only to those signed up for WCW, then competitors might be more willing(if not required by the rules) to post more timely reports?

Another idea to make it more competitive, would be to allow 2 subs per month, except for the slam, but maybe only the 10 or 12 biggest fish would count towards the final score. Just a thought.
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
aguachico

MOnthly WCW format. Reports due 4 days after the catch.

Year long WCW are for those that can fish 24 times out of the month for 12 months. Want to know who they are? Look at the current WCW leader board. Nothing against them, they work hard for two fish a month. That doesn't prove how they fish in a head to head format. Monthly WCW formats with sporadic cash jackpots when the fishing is good could be fun. If you find it doesn't work - at least you don't have to wait a year to change it.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
madscientist

I've enjoyed WCW these last few years and the competitive element has definitely pushed me and others to raise their game, but I think it's starting to corrupt the underlying idea. When it began I thought it a celebration of big fish and what is possible from the yak. I think it has achieve that. But at some point it gets silly and counterproductive. I've always felt my primary competition to be with the fish that does not want to die; I don't care what anyone else does or does not catch. Fishing for points is not what it is about, and if you need a trophy to validate your time on the water then I hear there is a bass circuit that would be perfect. Just be sure not to gaff the trout!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
One Rev

I was going to post something real brainy then I realized that I have had one to many Margaritas to make any sense so just consider this a non post. By the way I agree with Mr. Madscientist.
Mike
One Rev
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
lamb

Cool discussion, keep it coming.

Nate. you're funny.

And c'mon, vote on the poll whether to start next season right away (or with a short break), or take some time off. 20 votes don't mean much.

The format has been slightly changing each year, but there are 2 signatures for WCW - YT+WSB+HB as a target fish, and a year long format.

12 months is a lot of time...

No dis-respect to anyone, but sure thing that with more time on the water, the chances of scoring big are better. But that will be the case no matter how you flip the format.

There are very few of us fortunate enough to spend a lot of time of the water. I think the format should be changed to try to bridge that gap.

Personally, I'll play it and enjoy it regardless.

But we must try to bring end emphasize the fun element of WCW... And it must be fun for all.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
dorado50

WCW is like a second job. If you don't have one (a second job) than this is it. Fish before ,after or during your other job. This is a very unique tournament that takes alot out of onesself, physically, mentally and emotionally, perhaps that is why there is always a winner! Changing the format to cater to the people that don't put in the effort for this tourney is wrong imo. A one day shot at fish is pretty much luck, however a year long tourny is all skill and fortitude. I,myself have never been in a tournament ,where prize monies were involved to be fun... This is an awesome tournament, and not another like it that I know of, leave it alone or go home........
Old 04-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #20
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I think there should be a break. Let people recharge.

I think some people have lost sight of the real goal of fishing because of WCW. Fishing is supposed to be fun. If you are going out fishing in miserable conditions just to have a shot at points for a stupid contest it just isn't the same anymore. Add on all the internet bullshit and pissing contest and we've seen what happens. I have made some great friends through the contest. The contest has also gotten to the point where not everyone knows each other and some don't like each other. It is no longer a silly contest between friends.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote