Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
Grayson Everett
Junior

Exclamation Kayak Fishing Clothing

Just curious what type of clothing you guys wear while kayak fishing. Especially when the water and weather is colder. And shoes as well. Do you wear any type of waterproof shoes? How do you stay dry enough to keep the water from making you cold?
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
FISH11

Here is a link to a utube video by Chris, a local Kayak fisherman who has posted many helpful post and videos on BWE. Here he covers what he wears, especially for colder weather. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_yGYer90g&t=8s
Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
Gflann

Chris really hit the nail on the head with that video. I’ve been out a bunch this winter with very similar cold weather gear. The waders are controversial to some, but I wear them. Mine came with a waist belt that I cinch down and I always wear my pfd. Mine have the built in boots. Make sure you get breathable waders. There are youtube videos of guys testing out waders in pools and proving they are a safe cold weather gear option.

It might be a dent in the budget, but don’t overlook this stuff. Imagine yourself worst case scenario rolling your kayak, 1-2 miles off shore in 58 degree water. Even if you’re very confident in the yak, the wind can pick up and turn a benign swell into something difficult to navigate. It’s going to take a few minutes to roll over that kayak and at least a couple attempts to get back in. And then probably an hour to paddle back in.

With the proper gear you will stay dry and have an awesome time fishing. And even in the worst case scenario you’ll get back in your yak relatively dry, paddle in and just laugh it off.