Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #241
NICKWORN

Yes sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Did you catch that butt while hooping?
Yep, in between sets, drop shot with a red n black fluke. 15lb test, caught a ton of Sandra n calico too. Fun night, towed an Outback out to the spot too, trying to load video of it.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #242
Harry Hill

Very nice I hoop the bay but next time out I'm going to take a rod
Old 01-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #243
FISH11

Very nice Nick. That Hali makes up for not getting a lobster limit late in the season. Tight Lines!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #244
NICKWORN

Mmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Very nice Nick. That Hali makes up for not getting a lobster limit late in the season. Tight Lines!
She tasted sooooooo good in this garlic, lemon caper sauce!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5029655-BB67-4468-B3C0-06B4FA1B7944.jpg (75.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #245
NICKWORN

No limit but.....

Yea Mark this was pretty cool especially since I’ve been targeting and only catching shorts. The bugs have this time a year are always solid size so I’m cool with three!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:51 PM   #246
FISH11

YUMMMMMMM..............! Looks super good!
Old 02-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #247
AlwaysFishing

Got my Solo!

I finally had a chance to take my Solo Skiff out for a test run last Sunday. Man this thing is so much fun. Loading and unloading was tough but I think it will get easier the more I do it.
I launched out of the South Shore boat ramp in Long Beach and took it all the way to the oil platform outside of the breakwall. The water was like glass so I had a smooth ride.

Since I bought it used, I changed all the fluids, the fuel filter and spark plug.
The motor oil was nasty but the lower gear unit oil was still clean. I will probably going to change out the prop as well since there are some nicks on the blades. The gas tank and fuel line are still in good conditions.

The riggings I have done so far was putting a Railblaza stern and bow nav lights. added two Hobie 21" rails on each side. Marine Mat is on order. Still waiting for the Hobie plate to install the transducer. Still debating where to mount the Garmin EchoMap Plus 74cv, forward or to the side. Added a tiller extender but it's too long and it prevents me from making big left turns because it hits the seat. I have to swing the seat left to make room for the tiller extension so I can turn left.

Top speed with the Tohatsu 5hp was 14.7mph on smooth water.
Next project will be to copy Mark's winch and ramp set up to make loading and unloading easier on my back.

-Quang
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #248
tak100
Recruit

Congrats.

I am located in Long Beach as well. Let me know if you what to ride out together. Looking forward to fishing the mussel farm this summer.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #249
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
I finally had a chance to take my Solo Skiff out for a test run last Sunday. Man this thing is so much fun. Loading and unloading was tough but I think it will get easier the more I do it.
I launched out of the South Shore boat ramp in Long Beach and took it all the way to the oil platform outside of the breakwall. The water was like glass so I had a smooth ride............

Top speed with the Tohatsu 5hp was 14.7mph on smooth water.
Next project will be to copy Mark's winch and ramp set up to make loading and unloading easier on my back.

-Quang
Congrats on your new (to you) Solo Skiff. They are absolutely a blast and such a useful tool for covering more water than you could possibly cover on a kayak in one day, while only spending $2-$4 in gas. I no longer have to worry about currents and head wind, as I did on my kayaks. I found that the top speed is slightly higher when the water is not flat and smooth, but has small ripples. I guess the hull just skims on top better than when it has to displace water to plane. Tight Lines
Old 02-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #250
AlwaysFishing

Thanks Tim. I will definitely ping you in the near future. I can't wait to take it out and do some real fishing. Where have you launched so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Congrats.

I am located in Long Beach as well. Let me know if you what to ride out together. Looking forward to fishing the mussel farm this summer.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #251
AlwaysFishing

Thank you Mark. It is definitely have those advantages and so much fun too. You should seen the smile on my face..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Congrats on your new (to you) Solo Skiff. They are absolutely a blast and such a useful tool for covering more water than you could possibly cover on a kayak in one day, while only spending $2-$4 in gas. I no longer have to worry about currents and head wind, as I did on my kayaks. I found that the top speed is slightly higher when the water is not flat and smooth, but has small ripples. I guess the hull just skims on top better than when it has to displace water to plane. Tight Lines
Old 02-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #252
NICKWORN

I cut mine

[QUOTE=AlwaysFishing;312804]
Added a tiller extender but it's too long and it prevents me from making big left turns because it hits the seat. I have to swing the seat left to make room for the tiller extension so I can turn left.

I used minnkota extension and had to cut it almost all the way done, but it works like a champ now, no hitting of the seat or turning to turn. Ill take a picture for your to see.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #253
AlwaysFishing

Awesome, thanks Nick. Wished I asked in here first.

[QUOTE=NICKWORN;312812]
Quote:
Added a tiller extender but it's too long and it prevents me from making big left turns because it hits the seat. I have to swing the seat left to make room for the tiller extension so I can turn left.

I used minnkota extension and had to cut it almost all the way done, but it works like a champ now, no hitting of the seat or turning to turn. Ill take a picture for your to see.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:51 AM   #254
tak100
Recruit

Quote:
Thanks Tim. I will definitely ping you in the near future. I can't wait to take it out and do some real fishing. Where have you launched so far?
Los Alamitos, Dana Point and Cabrillo so far.

It would be legal to launch out of Huntington Harbor and head out to the oil rigs or mussel farm with the motorized vessels so I hope to do that in the future.

San Diego would be a blast as well.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #255
AlwaysFishing

Are you using the boat ramp in Cabrillo or are you beach launching? I am looking to launch in Newport and Redondo as well. I guess the only way to launch in Redondo is to use the hoist. Newport boat ramp is so far from the harbor opening that it's going to take forever to get out to open water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Los Alamitos, Dana Point and Cabrillo so far.

It would be legal to launch out of Huntington Harbor and head out to the oil rigs or mussel farm with the motorized vessels so I hope to do that in the future.

San Diego would be a blast as well.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #256
FISH11

SOLO SKIFF in really rough water

I decided to make a new unedited version of a video I recorded in Oct. 2020. The previous version was edited using GoPro Quick and was not good because that software has one pick highlights and then it edits each according to the music that is added. That is a Horrible method and does not get a good result, no matter how many different songs you pick to change the editing. This was filmed while holding the GoPro in my right hand, so I am not holding on and slowed the speed down to 4-6 mph so as not to get thrown off. The Solo Skiff could go much faster, but it becomes a wetter ride in those conditions and I was just wearing my board shorts and hoodie sweatshirt, as usual. Hope this give you guys a better look at how the Solo Skiff can handle the rough water. Other utube videos I watched that said rough water, where nowhere close to these conditions. It proved to me that the Solo Skiff is incredibly stable and all you need is to hold on and steer into the oncoming waves. That was an incredible 3 mile ride back to the La Jolla Cove point where the weather improved and ended becoming a nice day on the water. Warning, the video has some descriptive profanity, so if you are offended just turn down the volume.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:21 AM   #257
AlwaysFishing

Now that is rough but you made it look so easy. With my experience, I'd would be going at idle speed all the way in.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #258
AlwaysFishing

Bed Extender

What does everyone do with their bed extender once launched? Do you take it apart and put it in the cab or do you leave it out? Has anyone gotten their stolen?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #259
FISH11

I take my Boonedox Groovy t-bone bed extender apart (just one lock pin) as put both sections along with my self made ramp pipes in the back seat area of my Ram truck. They stay safe and out of sight there.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #260
FullFlavorPike

My t-bone (for my tandem oasis) actually fits in the front seat of my Sierra. The narrow end slots into the pedal box, and the wide end spans the cab. I don't even need to take it apart.

I would imagine a locking hitch pin would make for adequate security; but then again those t-bones are hard to come by sometime so some jerk could probably find a way to steal it.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote