Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
C. Cary

I usually take 3 rigs when fishing La Jolla.
lever drag for trolling live bait or rapala
Revo Toro for sabiki and as bass gear or for rock fish
Star Drag TLD 15/30 or similar for iron or as a 2nd live bait troller

With Sabiki's, I wrap on to a pool noodle, keeps the hooks tucked away, easy to store. I thought everyone did the pool noodle.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
summers in kuwait

It all depends on where and what Im fishing for. I also will factor in the time of year, weather conditions, etc.

That said, my typical go-to is:

Daiwa BG 4500 spinning combo. I use this for sabiki in the am and then switch this over to my stickbait or surface iron setup. I will also use this setup for jigging or trolling if needed. This typically has 50-65 power pro and 30-40 lb topshot/leader of fluoro or similar.

Flyline setup - Usually my Avet SXJ G2 mounted on a lamiglass tri-flex. This is pretty much always set up with 65 lb power pro and 20-40 lb fluro. 20-30 in the summertime and 30-40 in wintertime. Connected with Alberto knot or spro swivel and usually a 2/0 - 3/0 ringed J hook.

Bottom setup- This is usually my JX on a lamiglass tri-flex. Set up with 65 lb power pro and usually 40-50 lb fluoro or similar. Connected with Alberto knot or spro swivel. I will usually run a dropper loop or reverse dropper loop, but i use the spider knot and a 2/0-5/0 ringed J hook or circle hook and a 4-8 oz sinker. I will also switch this rig up to a Carolina rig, with 1-3 oz egg sinker or knocker rig with up to 1 oz egg sinker. The knocker rig can work really well with squid bites.

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Interesting. Here's my Fort Lauderdale routine, for good weather fishing:

1. 7' live bait rod with 30-40lb for fishing deep baits off a downrigger.
2. 7' live bait rod with 20-30lb for surface baits
3. 7.5' semi-collapsable live bait/sabiki rod -- usually with a sabiki on it all day.
4. 7' knife jigging rod with 40-50lb braid
5. 7' knife jigging/slow pitch rod 30lb braid
6. 7' knife jigging rod with 80-100lb braid for pulling groupers and big AJ's away from wrecks.

Although Pilchards(an anchovy sized fish) are usually available, I typically focus of fishing 8"-16" baits such as goggle eyes, Blue runners, Speedos and Little Tunnies. If I get sufficient bait in the morning, rods 1-5 are always used. Rod 6 requires a slack current and a larger bait and is often left out if I don't think the right conditions will be present.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote