Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
JasonG

Torpedo Bait Bucket???

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm just getting into kayak fishing, been out in SD Bay a handful of times and finally going to make my first trip out to La Jolla this week. I'm setup with everything I need EXCEPT a live well. My preference would be not to hassle with one and keep my setup as simple as possible and either fish exclusively with irons, or jig for one Mac at a time.

Has anyone tried one of these tow-behind bait buckets? Thought this might be a simple alternative... https://www.amazon.com/Torpedo-Bait-...g-goods&sr=1-2

I'm concerned about drag, but it won't be deployed until paddle out to the kelp and catch bait, so I'm hoping it won' be much of an issue while trolling... but I haven't done this yet, so not sure.

I went ahead and ordered one, I'll update the thread and let everyone know if it worked out or was a complete failure.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
socal.beach.bum

You can built your own for half the cost. YouTube some diy bait tubes.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
filippo

Bought one years ago and I LOVE it! Still working great.

It’s SUPER LIGHT! ZERO drag and no issues with trolling, even at “high” speeds. It floats just under the surface and I’ve kept many big macks in there and none ever died. I keep mine about 6-10 foot with paracord (& carabiner) behind my yak. When you’re still and fishing, it does tend to go wherever it wants, but it has never been an issue and it never got tangled with my mirage drive.

I love this thing so much that I have zero intentions to get a livewell (don’t want the added weight on my yak) and that I wanna buy a second one as backup if I ever need another.

Good luck out there.
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

I have to agree ^, it has zero drag and can keep mackerel alive for hours. On my last trip it kept 6 Spanish macks alive for 9 hours. Only issue you will have with tow-style bait tanks is the rope/cord you attach it to will tangle with fins, rudders, transducer mounts, etc. Keep that in mind when you decide the length of the rope. It has the least drag when directly behind your kayak but also is more likely to tangle. If you are drifting around, I would recommend tying it in closer to the side of your yak.
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
JasonG

Awesome feedback, thanks! Looking forward to trying this thing out next week!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote