Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

While we are on the subject of safety and lessons learned, what would be the benefit of a VHF radio on a kayak if nobody can see or hear you? Do the VHF radios kayak fishermen tend to use broadcast GPS coordinates?

I have thought about buying one, but I am unsure of the benefits or which model to choose.

I do carry my iPhone. I use the iPhone GPS features for the Navionics chart plotting app as well as the regular iPhone map functions. Are there other good apps for pinpointing GPS coordinates?

-----

What else is good for a safety checklist?

I carry a bilge pump and a tow rope. I always have a knife handy. I have a roll of radiator repair tape that is strong like duct tape but sticks to itself on wet surfaces. I have a cloth wrap bandage in a packet in case someone gets gaffed or ripped by a fish hook. It can be used as a tourniquet or other multi-purpose applications.

I discovered a few weeks ago that I should carry a Phillips screwdriver in case the rudder strings come off or need adjusting. Three of us were fishing together. I couldn't fix the loose rudder with a knife tip or what else I had on board. We ended up holding both kayaks together and I steered for the both of us. From far out, trying to paddle an Outback on rough water with the rudder up is a huge pain in the butt. Peddling in together and steering from one boat was the better choice. A screwdriver and fishing buddies could have solved the problem out where we were fishing. The one I added to my safety kit is drilled with a nylon wrist strap so I don't lose it in the water.

Just trying to think ahead a little so we can be better prepared in the future.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote