Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
FamousJay
Junior

Bait tube question...

This is the type of questions I think of at 1am.....

I made a Bait tube a week or so ago, and have yet to try it out. I got to thinking about when I paddle over to the barge to get some dines next outing just how I am going to get them in the tube...

Do I make the kid hold the net while I put them in one by one? Should I fab up some sort of funnel? If I dump them in can they turn in a 4" tube?

Its a 4"x36" Black ABS tube with a screw on end cap and 1/4" holes drilled all over the tube.

Sorry for the odd question but just wondered how everyone else does it.

Thanks, Jay
FamousJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Chuck D

Get a sabiki and make your own bait. You can only fit maybe 4 greenbacks, 6 Sardines or 10 anchovies which will not live long in your tube. By the time you start fishing this may last you 15 min then you need to go back and get more. I am not even sure if they will put bait in a tube for you, they use big nets and dont handle the bait. If you try it and they do make sure that they dont charge you over $3 for that small amount of bait.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
salty pirate

bait tube

Don't waste money at the bait barge. Sardines only last 15 min tops in a bait tube. Greenbacks, spaniard's and squid last all day. I agree with chuck d on the sabki, bring 2 with you.
FYI my bait tube is 2" x 2' pvc. it can hold 5-6 bait's.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
DanaPT

agreeeeeeed.

Bring the sabiki(s) 2 is probably the right number 10-12 size hooks is what I like.

I've noticed I can catch bigger macs using a elk hair streamer with a little sauce on it. ICEMAN turned me onto this idea and it does work. "Anything with "flashy" thread would be a good fly for the mackerel."

http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...h/DSCN0717.jpg

Sometimes, making bait can be tough even with the fish finder, so bring something with you, be it swim-bait or frozen bait, just in case.

no fun spending a lot of time fishing for bait and not having a plan b.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
T-Rex

Macks are fine, but with dines don't overload your bait tube otherwise you'll end up with this. I only loaded three and they all squeezed forward died in 10 minutes. Maybe smaller diameter PVC would work better for dines.

T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
fishstew

I use 2 different bait tubes....a larger diameter tube for my macks and a 1 1/2 inch tube for sardines. With the smaller diameter tube it keeps them from being able to turn around and I have had sardines last 3 or 4 hours in my bait tube. I wouldnt waste your monet at the bait barge though....Just get a sabiki and jig up your own.....they are healthier and hardier than the stuff you would get from the bait barge anyway.
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
FamousJay
Junior

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will just use my sabiki's and catch my own. I guess I will use the 4" tube for macs and make a smaller tube for the dines and chovies.

I am going to look like a floating circus with all these tubes trailing behind me...
FamousJay is offline   Reply With Quote