Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
686explorer
Junior

Need help to complete calico setup

Okay so I just purchased a seeker inshore BSCW 708-7 rod and I need a reel to complete the setup. Will mainly flipping plastic in the kelp targeting calico but also want something that can handle a yellow just in case I hook one. I have narrowed it down to a shimano calcutta 400b or an Avet sx w/mc. For someone who is not that good at casting conventional reels I am strongly considering the avet. What do you guys think?
686explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Avet. only because you didnt list a Daiwa.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
686explorer
Junior

That's funny because I was looking at a Daiwa sealine 20 the other day but just thought that because of the price, quality and technology would be less superior. .
686explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686explorer View Post
That's funny because I was looking at a Daiwa sealine 20 the other day but just thought that because of the price, quality and technology would be less superior. .

search the classified section on here for sealine, note the time the reel was listed for sale and when it sold...

If your looking to spend $$$ then look at the Saltiga, if you want to spent more$$$ there is a 2 speed saltiga.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
swank

If you're planning on tossing plastics 99% of the time your best bet is (imo) to stick with a baitcaster. A curado 300 / Luna 300 / Toro 50-60 / Penn Sargus all have the power to bring in a schoolie yellow (Carbontex drag upgrades would be nice on the Shimano).
If you dont like low profile then a round caster like the Calcutta 300 (400 is a bit much for bass, but it works), Daiwa Luna, okuma and Abu make some great round casters too.

I have an Avet SX 6/4 and I dont think you'd like it for throwing plastics to much, great for live bait though, gotta love that lever drag.

You will recast a plastic 10x more than you would live bait (which you'll usually soak)
Having to guide the line onto the reel 200 times in an hour is a pain in the butt.
The SX freespools like a mother- prepare for birdsnests (unless you get the MC, but then you still have the issues listed above)
Levelwinds on the newer casters are pretty sturdy, i can throw light irons on my 300dsv with no qualms, and supports a lot of weight
Low pros weight less :P
It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

Just my .02, PM me if you have any questions

edit: A low pro would also fit nicely with that Trigger seat on the rod
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Lets_Fish

Look up Fishaholic!

Check with John (Fishaholic) in the classifieds, he will be @ Peters Landing in Huntington Harbor this Saturday. Great rods & reels up for grabs from him.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
fishstew

turners is selling the toro 50's right now for half price. I just picked one up on Tuesday. Call around and see if any of the stores still have them in stock. They are really good reels....
fishstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
fishinkid2010

If this is primarily for casting plastics I would NOT advise an Avet. You will likely not enjoy the lever drag and having to flip the lever to the correct drag adjustment after EVREY cast.
My recommendation would be a bait caster, either low profile like a Curado, or a round one like a Calcutta. (I own both and love them)
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 686explorer View Post
Okay so I just purchased a seeker inshore BSCW 708-7 rod and I need a reel to complete the setup. Will mainly flipping plastic in the kelp targeting calico but also want something that can handle a yellow just in case I hook one. I have narrowed it down to a shimano calcutta 400b or an Avet sx w/mc. For someone who is not that good at casting conventional reels I am strongly considering the avet. What do you guys think?
Have you considered the Newel 220? 220's will cast a 'dine a country mile like a baitcaster and yet has the drag of an much larger reel (button down the drag & you'll break the line before the drag gives).
Personally, I like my Curado 300EJ's. One loaded with 30# PP and the other with 50# PP on my Calstar 196-8 and 220 (Hoping to replace with Teramars 80M & MH).
I've also used the Daiwa Luna Series (253) with PP.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Get a baitcaster with a levelwind as others have said. I'd go with a Curado 300. It'll definitely handle a yellow too.