Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Regor
Greg

Lip Grip - any new reviews?

I've searched and came up with 84 threads that have almost nothing to do with the tool-Lip Grip. A couple reviews were out there, but very old.

I've seen a number of different models out there now between the Stainless - Berkley, Rapala, Boga, etc...Throw in that some measure, some weigh, etc.... Then you also have a plastic version (floatable).

If you use one, got any comments on why you use the one you have, or why you don't use another model.

I'm spending time between LJ shores, the bays, and freshwater.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I've searched and came up with 84 threads that have almost nothing to do with the tool-Lip Grip. A couple reviews were out there, but very old.
Oooooops... I thought you were talking about lippers in general not the plastic vise grip thingy...

Never seen one up close, looks like they work though.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-14-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Jzo

Rigor, here is a clip regarding fish grip.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HALIBU77.../4/Kqjb4q70z44

Fish Grip
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...sh-Grip/Detail

I have the Berkley, cost a lot more than the Fish Grip, but not liking it too much, too hard opening the grip. Im thinking about buying the Fish Grip after seeing the clip, it look more natural way of opening the grip.

Hope this helps...
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Stan K G
Banned

I use the plastic grip, it is very nice for the cost.

it also locks shut so that makes it VERY easy to just lock it around a seat strap so it's at hand
Stan K G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Siebler

The plastic Lip Grips are super Super popular items with our customers.

I have been using one for a long while and they are pretty awesome, especially for 15.00. Good solid grip, light, and they float.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
GregAndrew

I like the plastic ones too because they float, are very light and spread the force on the mouth a little more. The drawbacks of them is that they require a little wider mouth opening to insert, and they are not as sturdy as the metal ones. I have had more than one fish slip through the jaws before while I was trying to weigh or pose for photos. As long as you are just using them to get the fish into the yak they are fine, but don't try to support all the weight of a large live fish by one (or if you do keep your hand wrapped around the thing tightly). It is possible that I just got a bad one though?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Regor
Greg

Thanks all - great variety of reviews!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Billy V

I prefer the plastic fish grip over the metal Berkley lip grip.

Its easier on the fish because the jaws are flat and less likely to tear up the fish's mouth.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
CobraTandem

I have always wanted the Boga Grip because I've seen alot of pictures and references to them on TV, online, in print, and in the kayaks of alot of fishermen. I thought they were the standard equipment. Also, the scale looks rugged, like it will last many years; not like something that will break when you drop it. However, the price has kept me away for now. They are pricey for something that you might drop over the side (I know, put a leash on it). The short sized one goes for about $75.00 with other models going +$200.00.

Boga Grip

So my first purchase was for the Rapala Digital Scale. I was very happy with this when I came home from Walmart. I tried it out on weights in a plastic bag and it registered perfectly. Once I took it out and tried to use it, I hated it. In fact this thing made me really angry and frustrated. It was very difficult to get the jaws to hold the fish properly to get an accurate weight reading. The little jaws would often point the wrong way and puncture the fishes mouth. Once that happened, it was harder to get the fish off of this thing than off the hook in the first place. Sometimes it would have to be turned on and off several times before it was ready to take a reading. Even though it looked in perfect condition, I finally took it out to the trash bin and chucked it as hard as I could. That was $29.00 wasted that could have gone toward a Boga.

Rapala Digital Scale

Next I bought a simple Spring Scale with a large dial and a big hook. I accidently dropped it in the water before trying it. I thought it might float because it was plastic but this one went straight down. That was $7.99 that could have gone toward a Boga.

Round Spring Scale

I started eyeing the Berkeley Lip Gripper because the price was right at $18.99. It looked decent quality for the price, but I was afraid that I would once again be wasting money on something that wouldn't last. The one I got does not have a scale. Also the jaws are much larger than the Boga Grip and I thought this might be a problem getting it into the fishes mouth without damaging the fish (I know, catch bigger, tougher fish). Eventually, I ended up purchasing this Berkeley unit. It has worked great so far and has doubled as an extendable arm helping me reach for items on the kayak. It works well as a tool to break my heavier line snags by wrapping the line around it a few times and pulling up. Lastly, when hauling my kayak through soft sand on a cart, I put this tool through the handle on the kayak so I can comfortably pull my kayak behind me.

Berkeley Lip Gripper

At the Southwind Tournament in Newport, they gave out the plastic "The Fish Grip". I used it a few times. It is lightweight and really does float. Billy V is probably right, this may be easier on the fishes mouth. I did have it slip on one wiggly bass. I'm sure this was operator error. I find the bright color a distraction in the photos I take of caught fish. I like the fish to be the highlight in a photo. I reckon that same bright color makes it quick to locate when you need it, though.

The Fish Grip

I still have not tried the Boga Grip but intend to pick one up some time (not soon).

I use the Berkeley Lip Gripper primarily and keep the plastic one ready to go as a backup. Of course, it is always good to get back in touch with nature and get your bare thumb roughed up a bit.
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
Stan K G
Banned

they come in white glow-in-the-dark color too
Stan K G is offline   Reply With Quote