Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
hiramehunter

Redondo Fishing Report and a rescue

Got out last Saturday morning out of Redondo. 7am launch with my buddy and the winds were already blowing. Super bummed. Super choppy but no white caps or swell. Tried the usual spots for rockfish. A few weeks ago, they were schooled up in a certain spot so we paddled over but it was a picky bite. Plus the wind was blowing from the west making it hard to stay on the spot or drift slowly. We caught some reds on whole squid, shrimp flies, and one huge one on a live mackerel.

About an hour in we got flagged down by another kayaker (also was fishing). She told us that there was a guy with a flipped kayak and needs some help.
When we got to him, he was in the water trying to flip the Hobie Pro Angler 12/14 over. It was so water logged that he was struggling to get it up right.
There was also another gentlemen (friend of the woman who flagged us down) on a Hobie Compas holding onto the PA to keep it steady.
I started to put everything away so I could get in the water and help but he finally got it flipped. He also struggled to get back on the PA from the rear but he managed it somehow.
At this point, he looked like he lost his seat so we told him to sit where it used to be. He was exhausted and confused. There were some talks about towing him back in but we decided to call 911 and ask for help from the RB Lifeguard. We waited for about 15 minutes and they came and got him on the boat with the PA half sticking out.

Couple of things from this incident once we all had some time to talk about it:
• He didn’t have a PFD! The guy on the Compas gave him his when he was in the water.
• That was his first time on the PA (or maybe kayaking??)
• He was alone and he was near the Palowan wreck
• The PA flipped cause he tried standing on it. Not sure why. Didn’t ask. Especially when it was sloshing around out there.
• He also kept blaming Hobie saying it was a bad design since all that water filled the kayak.
• No radio. Although he did have his phone but I’m not sure if it’s working at this point.
• Lash everything on your kayak if you don’t want to lose it. He didn’t even know he lost the seat until we told him. Lucky he didnt lose his mirage drive. I don’t know if he was fishing or just kayaking. I didn’t ask.
• I also put “some” blame on his son who lent him the Hobie. He should not have been out there by himself in those conditions.

Anyway, I’m sure there’s more we can glean from this but I’m glad he’s alive and we were able to help!
Also thankful for the lifeguards to come and rescue him.
Final note, I was surprised on how much water was in the PA. Any thoughts on that? Is that normal? Maybe the front hatch seal wasn’t sealed correctly?
I also think he probably didn’t check everything before he went out on his 3 hour tour!
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

If flipped over, it will seep water in mostly from the bow hatch, it is not designed to be submerged for more than a surf launching. Lucky for him you were there to assist. Good man.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
diedroid
Junior

scary.

perhaps he forgot to close the drain plugs?

water filled up on the way out to Palawan, then he tried to stand up.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by diedroid View Post
scary.

perhaps he forgot to close the drain plugs?

water filled up on the way out to Palawan, then he tried to stand up.
It sounds from the report that it filled after flipping, but I have experienced a significant amount of water intrusion from the stern when the rudder up cable snapped during surf launch and I did not notice until about an hour later...
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
socal.beach.bum

I was out that Saturday and did remember the coast guards heading towards Palawan with their lights on. Glad everything worked out for him.

Saw another guy on a mini-x that made me shake my head. Hopefully he didn’t end up in trouble too.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
If flipped over, it will seep water in mostly from the bow hatch, it is not designed to be submerged for more than a surf launching. Lucky for him you were there to assist. Good man.
This. The hatch is sealed from spray and splash but not from pressurized water (being submerged). if you roll your yak and any of the compartments are submerged expect them to be inlets for water regardless of the gasket and sealing method.

Any pics of the big red that ate your mack?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 07-22-2020 at 08:26 AM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
jbl_91762

First off Kudos to you for going to help. Yeah Hobie makes terrible kayaks lmfao. Sorry but that guy was lucky to have good people on kayaks help him out or he would have possibly died. Come on NO PFD? Shit I have one on board, do I always wear it no, but if the weather is a little rough its being worn. He was probably told that the PA is stable enough to stand on, well yes it is and so is my Outback but not in shit water! Sounds like he learned his lesson so be on the look out on craigslist for a one time used PA for sale. This guy is probably gonna give it away. And one more thing, please practice getting on board at least ONCE! Do it close to launch, wear your PFD and preferred have a buddy watch as you try. To some it will be easy and to others not so much which is why the practice...Weather is warm, water is warm get wet already! Ok enough venting.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #8
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Thanks for helping out. Its good to know there are folks out there to help if I ever need it. On the other hand this guy was asking for trouble. No life jacket on Out in choppy water alone Not able to quickly right his craft Thanks for sharing this info. Every time I hear something like this it reminds me to always wear my life vest and strap everything down. You never know when something unexpected my happen. Be prepared and don't become complacent. Which reminds me, its been several years since I have tried to flip my kayak and get back on board quickly. And I dont think I have tried with this Outback I have now. Next time I go out I will take some time and do a quick practice session.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
Simmonsdlwa
Junior

I wear my life jacket all the time now, not because I can’t swim or quickly flip and climb back aboard but because I purposely bought a bright yellow jacket. I don’t trust all the new COVID boat owners out there to be paying attention and am doing the best I can to be seen. If its rolling, often you’re the only thing sticking out above the trough.
Simmonsdlwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
hiramehunter

BTW, I always wear my PFD but I get it if you don't.
It's such a habit for me now that i feel naked without it.
It also has other advantages like keeping me warmer in the early morning. More pockets to store things. Especially my phone.
It also gives me some safety if I were to lose consciousness somehow.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
JohnMckroidJr

Kudos to you for being a good rescue assistant. Some guys take all the floats and the white plastic front bucket liner out of their PA's because they want the storage space - LOL. Without the bucket liner in the front hatch, the PA floods super fast when flipped. The floats keep the kayak from sinking if the hull gets fully flooded. Glad the guy is ok.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
Polychrest
Junior

hiramehunter, thanks for helping. My wife was the one that flagged you down. The guy said he was standing because he saw it in the Hobie brochure... unreal
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
TJones

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
Thanks for helping out. Its good to know there are folks out there to help if I ever need it. On the other hand this guy was asking for trouble. No life jacket on Out in choppy water alone Not able to quickly right his craft Thanks for sharing this info. Every time I hear something like this it reminds me to always wear my life vest and strap everything down. You never know when something unexpected my happen. Be prepared and don't become complacent. Which reminds me, its been several years since I have tried to flip my kayak and get back on board quickly. And I dont think I have tried with this Outback I have now. Next time I go out I will take some time and do a quick practice session.
Good yearly practice.
On a last note, always carry a pump. One of the professional guides I used in the past always asked me "where is your pump?". A sponge ain't gonna cut it either. I was out with him and one of his clients one day and a crack near the mirage drive on the clients PA was allowing water to seep in. Within an hour the hull had many gallons inside and the boat became very unstable and started leaning. Fortunately for him the guide had a pump, but his day ended early. I always have a practice of opening the center hatch and inspecting for leaks initially or early in the trip, and then again about an hour later. Be safe out there.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrest View Post
hiramehunter, thanks for helping. My wife was the one that flagged you down. The guy said he was standing because he saw it in the Hobie brochure... unreal
Oh man!!! SMH!!!
Glad you spotted him though. He owes you a nice dinner!!!
Hit me up if you ever want to go with someone.