Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
BasserDrew
Junior

Very late PICTURE HEAVY report from last year!

*WARNING* Picture heavy!

So, last year I made it out to California and got to experience kayak fishing in Nor Cal and So Cal in one trip! Also got to do the Islander mothership trip after doing some sweet fishing in Nor Cal at Shelter Cove and Clear Lake. Even had a couple whales come up right next to me while we were Rock Fishin' and Ling Coddin' it out there. Being from the east coast (live in Charlotte, NC now - no SF 49ers smashing my Panthers comments welcome btw ) I really wanted to see what the Pac coast had to offer. I'm super fortunate because I do work in the kayak fishing industry (Jackson Kayak) and get to travel around to some cool places and wet a line. Last year California was awesome (see some photos from last year below) so I had to make plans to get back out there this year! I guess I'll post up this super delayed report from last year and then start another thread about this year's trip.

Below are a few Nor Cal photos from last year (scroll further down for So Cal). I got into some nice fish and a real nice bright colored Verm! All caught on the same Z-MAN Streakz XL. Look I'm an east coast guy and many of you have and will catch more giant lings, halibut, rockfish etc than I'll ever hook up with, but for the sake of trying to contribute something helpful I learned while on this trip I'll share this; I noticed everyone switching their swimbaits and creature baits non-stop due to lings, rockfish etc biting their baits in half or tearing them up. Bass fishing across the country I have a trick where I super glue the soft plastic bait to the jighead. That works well but doesn't stop a ling from tearing it up! What does is the cool 10x stretchy plastic that Z-MAN uses in their baits. I caught about 20 fish this day that all have gnarly teeth; I glued the Streakz XL on the jighead and caught every one on the exact same bait - never got tore up. Not sure why more people don't use these durable plastic formulas that many brands have out now? Or, maybe some guys do and I just didn't run into any of them but it saved me a lot of time and energy on the water and made my day more enjoyable.

Jameson with a nice Ling

Whales! Holy Shnikes that was freaky!

Surfin some waves!

Clear Lake baby! What a cool place and the kayak really can get into some places on that lake that boats can't go...and we caught fish in those spots - no surprise there!

Sight fished this one with a shaky head.

Here is a good shot of the watermelon red FattyZ that she fell for.

Cool aerial shot!

Jameson with a nice one too!

Terry with a big one! I think he got this one on live bait but still!!!

Ok, here are some shots from So Cal now. First Jim took Jameson and I to La Jolla.

Paddling out!

Bracing my way back in! Thank God I stayed upright!

Jim making his way back in.

Here's a nice little La Jolla Calico but you can really get a good look at that Streakz XL that killed it for me with any and all Pac coast species. For Calicos I had it on a 1/2 belly weighted style hook as you can see.

Ok, time to load up the Islander for our trip! If you've never done this trip it is awesome! The crew does an amazing job putting you on the best locations, assisting with getting your boats in/out of the water and feeding you some nice grub thanks to the chef...meanwhile all you do is fish, then talk fishin when you get back in and eat, sleep, repeat. Couldn't be much better!

Lots of great folks went on this trip that I knew so it really made it a blast. Good friend Jameson Redding was there, Adi Ljubovic (Lamb) Jarrod McGehee, Paul Lebowitz and Jim Sammons but more importantly I met a ton of cool dudes from all over Cali on this trip. I remember there were a bunch of friendly divers from Nor Cal as well. Hope to reunite with some of them and meet some new folks on this years trip when I go at the end of May.

Here's Paul with a whopper of a Calico! He had 2 trophy sized ones on this trip!

Jarrod hooked into what I think was the only YT of the trip! Nice one Jarrod!

How beautiful is that place?

I finally got into what turned out to be big fish of the trip - a Halibut in the 25lb range! Suweet! It's actually a funny story cause Lamb was helping me learn to halibut fish with live bait in 80ft with a 1lb ball. I didn't have a bait tank though so once my bait died I peaced out and headed near shore to target Calicos. I see a BIG bolder the size of like 3 SUVs barely under the surface about 5-10 FT off of the shore. I paddled into the shore and then over the bolder to where the nose of my kayak was directly over the front drop off. I figured if anything was under it, then it would be facing into the waves looking for incoming food. I took my Calico bass rod (7ft MH action) and literally just dropped a 5-inch ZMAN Paddlerz swimbait (3/8 oz jighead) down the wall of this bolder until it hit bottom (8-10ft). No joke, next thing ya know I'm pullin up this freakin rug! haha.

We all got a good laugh at how that happened because I really REALLY wanted a big halibut and everyone else was in 80ft with live bait and not getting bit and I lucked out in 8ft of water with artificial lures and a MH bass rod! Haha, what a fight. We were actually out there filming for The Kayak Fishing Show so much of this you can check out when that episode airs soon (March I think).

A cool shot with the Islander off in the distance!

All in all, awesome trip! So awesome I just got back from San Diego last week where we did some bonefish'in in the bay and freshwater bassin in local lakes and the CO River. I'll try to share about that trip soon as well.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed the photos and report and it made someone's Mon a little more interesting! :-)

If any of you are heading to the Long Beach Fred Hall show then maybe I'll see ya there! I'll be doing a seminar with Jim Sammons so stop by and say hello and I look forward to sharin the kayak fishin' stoke fellas!
BasserDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Pure Eye Candy

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
steveooo

Awesome pics and cool write up. Thanks for taking the time to post up
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Awesome photos!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

NorCal to SoCal, now that's a fishing trip! Great photos and stories, definitely made for a better Monday, thanks!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
rogersmith

great pics, love the aerials, I assume a quad copter / gopro set up? If you get a chance post some more info on that...thanks!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
FISH11

Man I want a job like that. Get to go and fish cool places and catch lots of different species. Great pictures, I'll be watching the Kayak fishing Show. Can't wait to do an Islander trip. As the saying goes "That's not a job, that's an adventure!) Tight lines.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

awesome! you guys raise the bar on photos and video, love it! why am I not kayak fishing today?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
BasserDrew
Junior

Hey Roger we were using a DJI Phantom w/ a gimbal and video goggles to fly the quad with a GoPro Hero 3. We lucked out that the wind settled down or we could have never risked taking it up. Jameson Redding flies it and every time it goes up and then safely lands we breath a sigh of relief! Stressful for him for sure!

If you look in the aerial photo from Clear Lake you'll see he's in the red/black kayak facing away from the quadcopter and flying it with his video goggles on to see what the camera sees. The wind blew him under a dock and he had no idea where he was when it was time to land...haha. Fortunately Dan Arbuckle caught it once Jameson got his bearings and peeled off the goggles.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
BasserDrew
Junior

PS, when, where and how do I get an avatar? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the profile?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
FISH11

Click on your sign in name then when on you profile click Quick links in rt upper menu and select edit signature, detail or any of those then on the left side of the page you'll have edit avitar, etc. Good luck
Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

That calico looks bigger than the yellow! Sounds like a couple of sweet trips
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
BasserDrew
Junior

Yeah and that wasn't even Paul's biggest! His biggest actually won the jackpot on the boat that day...that's how big it was. I bet the jackpot isn't won with a Calico often!

Thanks for the avatar tips, I'll go try it now!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
FISH11

Good deal. You got your avatar up.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
"jjcawjj"

Nice Pic's!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
Grunt31

I want.... Your life.. Awesome trips and pics.
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
Southman

Nothing beats great pictures with a great story.

Nice post! THANKS.
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #18
kauaiboy04

very sweet pics Drew!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
undrH2Ohntr

Awesome write up and pic's.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
bosshoss

The quality of the those pics is stellar.....
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote