Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #21
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Looks like I missed a good one

I am so glad you guys had fun. It looks amazing there. I am planning to try to get out there this summer!

Janine
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #22
blitzburgh

F'n awesome
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #23
GregAndrew

Very kewl trip. Good to know that there are already YT up there this early in the season!!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #24
ful-rac
Emperor

Let's go greg!!! the grrrrouuuppAAAs are waiting...oh and the yellowtail too.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
defjack

Thanks after that report im bringing alot more heavy stuff. Jack
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Nice fish
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
ashmoz

ORGASM! tHANKS FOR SHARING!
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #28
TheBentRod

Awesome!!

That is what this sport is about. Days like those are what makes me tick.

Thanks for sharing.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #29
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjack View Post
Thanks after that report im bringing alot more heavy stuff. Jack
Heavy stuff will be needed as these fish love the rocks and it can be difficult to turn their heads to keep them from reaching safety. You WILL LOOSE tackle so come prepared. Day 3 is not the time to loose your last big repala when you are staying another 6 days. You will still catch fish, but........... with the sierra mackeral around, wire leaders will save a few bite offs. Larger krockadiles also caught good fish. 4-6" spoons work too. Bigger baits, bigger fish. Large plugs can be cast into the rocks for some EXPLOSIVE top water action. I only had one z-man tail removed and caught lots of bass and a couple of triggers on them.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #30
eod
Junior

Baja or bust March 21-24

Baja or bust March 21-24
This was an excellent trip and definitely worth the drive from Idaho.
Because this was my first saltwater kayak adventure I was a bit hesitant to kayak too far from the shoreline but that turned out to be a good thing because most of the fish were caught near the coast. Day 1 caught one good size cabrillia 10-15 lbs and released it. Day 2 morning was fantastic! Boiling orange mouthed corvina, I had several double hook ups and landed seven of them most in the 8 lb range. Day 2 afternoon was slow but still caught several small fish. Day 3 no keepers but caught lots of smaller fish, had a blast catching endless barracuda, sierra mackerel, sand bass, small cabrillia, sculpin, boiling jacks and tried without success to hook some of the monster yellowtail swimming around me. Day 4 caught a nice cabrilla between 10-15 lbs, one orange mouth corvina, one hog fish and several smaller fish. Definitely landed over 100 fish on this trip
Overall this trip was exactly what I was hoping it would be, great weather, people, food, and fishing
I wish that I could have stayed longer, I’ll be back
eod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #31
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by eod View Post
Baja or bust March 21-24
This was an excellent trip and definitely worth the drive from Idaho.
Because this was my first saltwater kayak adventure I was a bit hesitant to kayak too far from the shoreline but that turned out to be a good thing because most of the fish were caught near the coast. Day 1 caught one good size cabrillia 10-15 lbs and released it. Day 2 morning was fantastic! Boiling orange mouthed corvina, I had several double hook ups and landed seven of them most in the 8 lb range. Day 2 afternoon was slow but still caught several small fish. Day 3 no keepers but caught lots of smaller fish, had a blast catching endless barracuda, sierra mackerel, sand bass, small cabrillia, sculpin, boiling jacks and tried without success to hook some of the monster yellowtail swimming around me. Day 4 caught a nice cabrilla between 10-15 lbs, one orange mouth corvina, one hog fish and several smaller fish. Definitely landed over 100 fish on this trip
Overall this trip was exactly what I was hoping it would be, great weather, people, food, and fishing
I wish that I could have stayed longer, I’ll be back
Steve, it was a good trip for all, glad you felt it was worth driving from UTAH. I hope to get you back down again, maybe for a few more days next time. SO many fish, SO little time. March, April and May are good times to fish here, June through October can be very hot down here, but the fishing is still fantastic.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #32
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honcho View Post
Awesome report - one of these trips, I am going to join you guys with my boy(s)....thanks for the video and report!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #33
undrH2Ohntr

Awesome.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #34
Johnny5
Junior

baja or bust

nice!!.. thanks for report. do you mind sharing your list or recommended tackle and lures? besides irons did you try any diving rappalas? what is a good list of lures to take for next trip? thanks
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #35
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
nice!!.. thanks for report. do you mind sharing your list or recommended tackle and lures? besides irons did you try any diving rappalas? what is a good list of lures to take for next trip? thanks
TACKLE to stop 40 lb tails, 20-30lbs drag. You will still be rocked and cut off. Rapalas running from the surface to 20'deep. Yo Zuris the same, crockodiles and spoons 3-6", plugs, mega baits 2-4 oz, big plastics but triggers can tear them up pretty fast. You can troll 20-50 feet or further away from the rocks or cast right up to the rocks and work your jigs back toward you. SECRET TIP!!! IF a GOOD fish hits as you are reeling back towards your yak, he is coming away from the rocks and you have a BETTER chance of landing him, IF trolling TURN into open water with a tight drag paddling, peddling AWAY from the rocks. The object is to get them AWAY from the rocks as SOON as possible. YOU will still loose gear and fish. BEST of LUCK. Hope this helps.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN