Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

2016 Alaska Kayak Fishing video plus Tournament update

Wow. I haven't fished since Thanksgiving Day. I guess since I live in Alaska and we have actually had a real winter here this year, that's not so bad.

My season will officially start next week for the Homer Winter King Salmon Derby (powerboat derby). Last year we had about 20 kayaks entered and out of 1500 anglers, I think the kayaks accounted for 13th, 21st, and the number two youth fish.

Last year I fished with folks from 5 or 6 states though none from Southern California. I am not a guide so we just take folks out when our schedules allow for it. So the invitation is always open. two years ago, I did fish with Nick who posts on this forum.

Enough Chit Chat.

Here's the video. Hope you enjoy it and it I also hope it motivates some of you to take your kids fishing!!!!

http://youtu.be/X5ZcmV0QWXM

Last edited by Kardinal_84; 04-02-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
taggermike

Great video. Your kid has some serious yak fishing stoke going. Here's to as great '17. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Great video.....

I'm envious of you.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Harry Hill

you guys are killing it up there. Good video
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
tim506
Junior

that was awesome thanks for the video
tim506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
Sivak

Awesome video!

I fish the Kenai every year and Homer every other form the shore. I am definitely going to do the Kayak fishing this year. I might have to drive so I can bring my pro angler. I'm go in mid to late July and stay for a few weeks.

Can you share your setup with me? I know you are using a down rigger but what size, what pond test line, size of hook and what lures?

Thank you.
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivak View Post
Awesome video!

I fish the Kenai every year and Homer every other form the shore. I am definitely going to do the Kayak fishing this year. I might have to drive so I can bring my pro angler. I'm go in mid to late July and stay for a few weeks.

Can you share your setup with me? I know you are using a down rigger but what size, what pond test line, size of hook and what lures?

Thank you.
Thanks everyone,

Sivak,
Until i started kayak fishing, the best time of year for us was always mid to late July. Now that I am kayak fishing, I think its my least favorite time.

I'd point you first to a simple amateur website I slapped together at http://AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Feeder kings are available off Homer all year. Late July, you have a decent chance of catching other salmon as well. We are usually focused on the halibut in July off our kayaks. Unless you already have a downrigger, while they will up your odds for the kings, they aren't necessary. Though without a downrigger, I use heavier rods capable of trolling with 8 to 12 oz of weight.

I use shimano Trevala jig sticks mainly. From their lighter version to the Xtra Heavy. I use 50 pound braid, then a fluoro leader for kings (50lbs) and 200 for halibut.

All the decent size halibut shots are off of Whiskey Gulch which is 5 miles North of Anchor Point. Big tides as you know, so I would definitely read up on the section on Cook Inlet. In Simple terms, High/Low tide measured off the shore (i.e. book high tide) is NOT the same as Slack tide.

The kayaks are also awesome to float the upper and middle Kenai river. The upper is more gravel bar hopping but the middle you could pull plugs or use an indicator and beads IF you have a hobie.

Lower is crowded and I have yet to catch anything other than pinks but I am trying!

Late July is also a good time to try Resurrection Bay in Seward for Silvers...if they show up. They didn't last year.

So take a look over my website and maybe the rest of my youtube channel. I have something like over 200 videos up so there may be something of interest to you.

As I tell everyone, I am not a guide but I do make an effort to fish with as many people as I can from around the world. If we can time things correctly, I currently have 3 outbacks and a I12S inflatable. I will be adding another outback this week. Last time I checked, there were only two of us that fish but I keep them around for my friends and the once or twice a year my daughter goes out.

So the good news is any assistance I provide is free. Bad news...my family and job are higher priorities so unfortunately, plans can change. But once I commit, I am usually reliable. lol.

if you like, email me at guidesak(At)yahoo.com this is my throw away address and I will send you my email I actually use.

Let's fish!!!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
FullFlavorPike

Dude, you are teaching kiddo all the right skills!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Sivak

WOW, thanks for the wealth of information and your offer to fish!!! I can relate to a lot of what you said. I watched several videos and they are great. I'm still working out the trip details, got off to a very late start. We typically stay in Sterling in the Kenai Keys. I fish mostly on the Kenai but I also fish Whiskey Gulch, Homer and where the Kasilof enters the cook inlet for halibut. I will keep you updated so that we might be able to fish together.

Dave
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #10
bwana

Nice to see your kids on the water enjoying fishing as much as their ol' man.

45 pound halibut on a barbie rod - your son kicks butt!

I didn't know anything about kayak fishing when I lived in Anchorage in 1978. Fishing from shore does not compare to the fun you have on the water.

Thanks for sharing your video.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #11
grey zone

I read on AOF that they postponed the winter king derby by a week. I have been checking the Homer webcam daily and the harbor has been plugged with ice. The weather looked beautiful today, hard to believe the temperatures, -10 in Soldotna this morning. Good luck in the tournament Rudy.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
PapaDave

Makes me want to go there right now!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #13
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
I read on AOF that they postponed the winter king derby by a week. I have been checking the Homer webcam daily and the harbor has been plugged with ice. The weather looked beautiful today, hard to believe the temperatures, -10 in Soldotna this morning. Good luck in the tournament Rudy.
Thanks grey zone! They delayed it one week. Tons of ice in the harbor. But we will give it a go this saturday!!

For those interested, cmon up! We will get ya out on the water!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
grey zone

Rudy, congratulation to your son for top youth angler in the Homer winter king salmon tournament. I hope you can post a report/video and share some details.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
Rudy, congratulation to your son for top youth angler in the Homer winter king salmon tournament. I hope you can post a report/video and share some details.

Hey Grey zone! Thanks! Its been a busy week. But yes, my son did win the youth Division of a powerboat tournament off his kayak. Fishing was tough.

This year the derby was delayed a week due to the harbor being iced in. That's why it was only about 2/3 last year's entries. We kayakers were ready to go but the poor powerboats just couldn't make it out of the harbor! +1 for the kayaks

Some stats:

1012 #of anglers registered. (12 kayakers)

314 # of vessels

216 # of fish called in

110 # of fish actually weighed.

Out of the kayakers, we managed three fish. I managed third in the kayak division (15.55 lbs), Ryu's fish was second at 16.55 and was the only minor registered as a kayaker . The winning kayak fish was 17.00. But I give some of the credit to Ryu as he was explaining to the other kayaker where we were fishing and what moments before the other kayaker hooked up,

The win paid off for Ryu not only in trophies and over $300 in prizes, but his win also helped him secure a place with Team Daiwa as he was able to spend time with the representative at the recent Great Alaska Sportsman Show.

So now, at 12 years old, my son is now on Team Daiwa, Hobie Fishing Team, Kokatat Fishing team and also sponsored by Alaska Raft and Kayak the retail distributor for Hobies and Kokatat here in the state. I'm a super proud dad for sure!!!

The video:

https://youtu.be/aVhQO_GdErQ

So a few pics:

Old 04-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
grey zone

That is awesome, congratulation to both of you. Thanks!