Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
udowinkler
Junior

YakDout and mako are right.

I for one have traveled the Baja peninsula 6-12 times a year since 1966. I have tent-camped in some desolate spots, as well as in a VW Westfalia, motorcycle, a variety of Jeeps and cars, several RVs, and the last 8 years traveling in a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have been more fearful of our own CBP agents at the US border than the Mexican population in Baja.
The trouble spots are all in the mainland, and they never include tourists. Although the last couple of months there has been some drug trade violence in La Paz (the dealers seemed to have found a quiet place to live, but their trouble has caught up to them), but it has been localized in one area. Just as the drug violence in Tijuana has been localized to one square mile area.
Hell, you have more people getting killed on a daily basis in the Los Angeles area, than all of Baja. And even though the latest trouble area is La Paz, I would not hesitate to visit the area, or have second thoughts about living there...it is such a gorgeous place.

On a footnote to all of you who are on the fence about traveling to Baja: I monitor on a daily basis several Baja bulletin boards and blogs, including www.bajanomad.com which is the best board for up-to-date travel information.

My personal e-mail is udowinkler@yahoo.com if any of you wish to contact me about travels and roads in any Baja area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Hate to say it man but if that's you're thinking then you may never be able to enjoy Baja. Regardless of vacation time...
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Trip dates are still set for October 17th-24th.

I however will have to be returning on Wednesday October 21st. I am taking over a week off in August to visit and fish Punta Abreojos so I will need to work that thursday and friday when I am back from Gonzaga. Robert (aka MrPukaShell) may want someone to carpool with for the full trip duration. I leave that up to him to contact another one of you on the trip if my dates are too short for him. Really wish I could stay the full 7 days but I will be slammed with work. The way Bob likes to do dinners is alternate nights so we will keep it simple and continue the same way. Its makes it easier for everyone as we do not have to use the grill for everyones individual dinner every night of the trip. Below will be a list of everyone I currently have on the trip as well as dates for dinners. BTW everyone is pretty much on their own for breakfast and lunch. Not a huge ordeal as the fishing was so awesome last year at this time, I usually had a very small breakfast and skipped lunch. Fishing is more important than eating.

IN FOR SURE

1. Buddha
2. Mrpukashell
3. Makobob
4. SocalKayak
5. DefJack
6. Danjor
7. SvenDawg
8. Monstahfish
9. Yakdout
10. GR8fuldude

MAYBES

BajaTraveler
MikeScales
MahiGeer

Please let me know if I have forgotten anyone or if anyone has changed their mind etc.. I will edit the list of people going as well as dinner dates. Please if you are a for sure go pick a date that is not taken yet for dinner. Keep in mind you are cooking for the whole camp. Could be 8 guys could be 4. We will have a better count soon. Also if you have any questions as to what to bring, or anything at all, Post here so we can get them answered. THIS IS A TRIP OF A LIFETIME.

Saturday October 17th
Sunday October 18th Yakdout
Monday October 19th
Tuesday October 20th
Wednesday October 21st
Thursday October 22nd
Friday October 23rd

Home on the 24th

This trip is very inexpensive especially if sharing fuel costs and I highly recommend getting Insurance on your vehicle for the trip. www.bajabound.com is the site that I use. It is a good piece of mind to have. Also Bob will be collecting some $ for the water we will use for showers and toilets and since I do not know the current state of his place after getting a new septic tank, he will let us all know how much it will be per person.

Can't wait to make some more memories down there!

Last edited by YakDout; 07-20-2015 at 06:22 PM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
buddha

I believe you forgot Monstahfish as I will be car pooling with him. Did he cancel?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote